The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-05-2019, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

I doubt that Bob told anyone what to wear on stage. Most were just wearing whatever they were wearing. I'd say that Bob definitely had ''show clothes'' with the leather jacket, scarfs adn hat. Ronnie Blakely and Scarlett in dresses. Joan Baez in jeans and a top could have been wearing that all day and just walked out on stage. Or maybe she just wanted it to look that way. I think those were just Mick's show clothes at the time; some kind of smock and tights, with a Bowie hair-cut.

I was at the first or second show of the tour if you watch the documentary you'll that Mick got more casual by the time they got to Harvard Sq. No matter what he wearing, on a stage filled with guitar players, he stood out!
Old 07-05-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
No matter what he wearing, on a stage filled with guitar players, he stood out!
I don't doubt it. Not only was he very good, he was probably the least affected by the whole "Dylan thing." It was a job, not a chance to play with a hero. He thought that Dylan sang like "Yogi Bear."
Old 07-05-2019, 01:44 PM

His solo in Moonage Daydream continues to be one of the most mesmerizing that i've ever heard.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon1 View Post
His solo in Moonage Daydream continues to be one of the most mesmerizing that i've ever heard.
Monsoon, here's an amazing live version of Ronno wailing on Moonage Daydream.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:26 PM
Charter Member

Did I see him in Omaha in 1969 playing Frankenstein with Edger Winter?

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 08-02-2019, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

How did I miss this thread? Bowie with Ronson is my favorite period. His guitar work really put a lot of Bowie’s songs right over the top with some now classic riffs. Great chemistry on stage too.
Guilds: 69 F312 Braz, 89 Nightbird II, 91 Nightbird CU, 94 GV70, 96 A50 flattop, 06 CO1 Cedar, 11 F30CE, 13 CS F30R Reno Star, 14 GSR F30CE Coco, Orpheum OM RW, Orpheum SS Hog. SOLD: Guilds: 78 F40,79 F112,’87 GF60R,94 DV72,07 CS F47 Braz,11 DD6MCE,12 F30,12 F30R,18 F2512. Other: 70 Epi 5102,74 Ibanez LesPaul,90 Gibson ES347,15 Alvarez MFA70,15 Martin OM28VTS,15 Epi ES339Pro,16 Alvarez AF60
Old 08-03-2019, 04:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Legend has it that Bowie hired him after hearing his playing on Michael Chapman's Fully Qualified Survivor album.

Regardless of the truth in that, it's a very fine album, with some very fine playing.
He and Michael Chapman and I share a birthplace, (Kingston Upon) Hull in East Yorkshire. A heavily bombed port city in WW2 with 95% of homes damaged with hundreds of bomb sites which they will remember as I do.

Ronson was in a locally well known group, The Rats, prior to joining Bowie. Not far up the road In Scarborough lived my friend John Hutchinson who was in the trio Feathers with Bowie immediately prior to Space Oddity breaking into the charts, he’s on the demo version. Hutch later became one of the Spiders From Mars.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 08-10-2019, 11:42 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrksman View Post
He and Michael Chapman and I share a birthplace, (Kingston Upon) Hull in East Yorkshire. A heavily bombed port city in WW2 with 95% of homes damaged with hundreds of bomb sites which they will remember as I do.

Ronson was in a locally well known group, The Rats, prior to joining Bowie. Not far up the road In Scarborough lived my friend John Hutchinson who was in the trio Feathers with Bowie immediately prior to Space Oddity breaking into the charts, he’s on the demo version. Hutch later became one of the Spiders From Mars.
Thanks for the insights and the local color. I knew about the Hull connection and how unexpected that someone of MR's talent would emerge from such a place, but perhaps no more remarkable than the Beatles emerging from Liverpool, of all places.

Thanks So Much for your contribution.

scott memmer
Old 08-11-2019, 06:25 AM

Mick Ronson is one of my all-time favs. One of the most tasteful players ever, great melodic sense and effortless grace. "Welcome to the Club" by Ian Hunter is tremendous -- one of the best live rock albums ever, and Mick made it move. And Rolling Thunder Revue. Another fantastic trip. He's missed.
Old 08-11-2019, 12:12 PM

My early teen age years revolved around the whole early 70's rock age, Bowie, Mott, etc. I missed ever seeing Mick R. Saw Bowie later, 76 or 77. My claim to uniqueness was seeing Mott and Queen together in 74. Queens first time touring the US. I was hooked on music and the guitar from then on.
Old 08-11-2019, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Mick Ronson has the tone and the fingers to make it musical at 11 volume.

One of my teenage bands we had the pleasure of playing Ziggy Stardust (I played Rheem organ then) and Suffragette City - which was a crowd favorite.
I wanted to play Moonage Daydream but the singer couldn't quite swing that one despite being 16 like the rest of us. But I played a dumbed down arraignment myself in my room with my 100$ Japanese plywood acoustic.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

Ronna was the man. Still is the man, as far as I'm concerned. Never heard better tone from anyone, even up to today.

sm
Old 09-22-2019, 12:56 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuman View Post
Mick Ronson is one of my all-time favs. One of the most tasteful players ever, great melodic sense and effortless grace. "Welcome to the Club" by Ian Hunter is tremendous -- one of the best live rock albums ever, and Mick made it move. And Rolling Thunder Revue. Another fantastic trip. He's missed.
Perfect description of Mick's playing.

thanks,
scott
Old 09-22-2019, 04:03 AM
Charter Member

Have you noticed how many times the word ''tasteful'' has come up in this thread?
Old 09-22-2019, 11:41 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Have you noticed how many times the word ''tasteful'' has come up in this thread?
Thanks for pointing that out. I suppose if you had to choose one word to describe Mick's playing, that would be the consensus choice.

thanks again,
scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion