The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 06-08-2015, 11:03 AM

Default Peter Frampton

Or as the man who introduced him at the show last Wednesday called him "Peter
F$&#ing Frampton" is still a very, very good guitarist. Only two acoustic numbers, mind you, but a wonderfully fun show.

My wife and I caught the sold out show and it was the first night of the tour. A glitch or two, maybe, but nobody minded. The band was clearly having a blast, and so did we.

Peter still has the same bass player (Stanley Sheldon) that has played with him since the Frampton Comes Alive album was released. 39 years ago.......

I'm not sure how long the tour is, or where they're heading, but I would say that if you are or were a fan of Peter, find your way to one of these shows. His musicianship is better than ever. And it'll just be fun.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:17 AM

i'll have to see if he is going to be in my area as he is one of my favorites. i have most of his albums including "fingerprints" from a few years ago and frampton's camel. excellent album. loved humble pie and thought his playing and singing along with stevie marriot was exceptional. i was very upset that he went pop afterward but they were very well written songs that gave him his big break in the mid 70s.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 06-08-2015, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

I always liked Frampton. I used to play his stuff on the radio in college when I was a DJ, before Frampton Comes Alive came out. Then he played a free concert in support of Frampton Comes Alive outside on a beautiful spring day. Lines On My Face is still my favorite from that album.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:56 PM
Charter Member

"Pop" ?

Maybe, briefly in the 70s when self indulgent electric guitar driven music was popular, but I don't think I would ever consider Frampton pop music. What made it pop was the fact that Frampton Comes Alive sold like crazy and therefore was popular, but the style was anything but until he made a few attempts to recreate that huge popularity of his live album.

Anyway, I am going to look up his tour dates for a possible TX or CA stop I can attend. Have loved Frampton since my early playing days, but only recently have I been learning some acoustic Frampton, and they are his more "pop" tunes.

BTW, AGF member love2play has recently done a couple of great Frampton tutorials on his two most "pop" or popular acoustic tunes ever from the early 70s (and Frampton Comes Alive), Baby I Love Your Way and Show Me the Way -- Seriously some of the best YouTube guitar instruction available today, all for a simple donation ask! Don't miss his stuff if you're a classic rock fan, acoustic and electric. On YouTube, he's known as Shut Up & Play.

Thanks for heads up on the Frampton tour!

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 06-09-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryf View Post
Or as the man who introduced him at the show last Wednesday called him "Peter
F$&#ing Frampton" is still a very, very good guitarist. Only two acoustic numbers, mind you, but a wonderfully fun show.

My wife and I caught the sold out show and it was the first night of the tour. A glitch or two, maybe, but nobody minded. The band was clearly having a blast, and so did we.

Peter still has the same bass player (Stanley Sheldon) that has played with him since the Frampton Comes Alive album was released. 39 years ago.......

I'm not sure how long the tour is, or where they're heading, but I would say that if you are or were a fan of Peter, find your way to one of these shows. His musicianship is better than ever. And it'll just be fun.
Not a big fan-except for his stint with the late, awesome, Steve Marriott in Humble Pie. Now that was a band! I saw them in a small venue in London (the Rainbow Room in the Biba store), being filmed for a US TV show (Midnight Special?) alongside Procol Harum and another band. That was 1970 I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lxyRjzXvxo

Last edited by AndrewG; 06-09-2015 at 07:46 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:09 AM

An excellent guitarist and songwriter who was not taken as seriously as he probably should have been because his handlers tried to make him a teenybopper heartthrob with his open shirts and flowing locks. I recently learned "Baby I Love Your Way" on acoustic and also love "Lines On My Face," of which he had none when that song came out. "Frampton Comes Alive" was one of those iconic albums that EVERYONE had back in the '70s.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Old 06-09-2015, 10:50 AM

I'm a big fan too, and I'd never call his music pop. That was due to deejay's who overplayed some of his syrupy tunes, which became huge.
The guitar on the cover of 'Frampton Comes Alive' is an early /60's Gibson Les Paul Custom, black, modified w/ 3 p/u's. It seemingly died in a cargo plane crash in the early 70's and was amazingly found in the hands of a Carribean musician, and returned to him in 2012.
Frampton is a big fan of Django, and there are 2 splendid Djangoesque tunes on his cd 'Thank you Mr. Churchill' from 2010.
I once drove about 500 miles to see his show, in 1972. I really wanted to be in his band.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle76 View Post
An excellent guitarist and songwriter who was not taken as seriously as he probably should have been because his handlers tried to make him a teenybopper heartthrob with his open shirts and flowing locks. I recently learned "Baby I Love Your Way" on acoustic and also love "Lines On My Face," of which he had none when that song came out. "Frampton Comes Alive" was one of those iconic albums that EVERYONE had back in the '70s.
One of the most musical guitarists I can think of. Good playing but everything is always 100% aligned with making great music.

That being said, to one of the earlier posters' comments: Humble did absolutely kick ***. That was a BAND.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:09 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Your trivia of the day:

Who got the first call to replace Peter Framtpton in Humble Pie and turned it down?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-10-2015, 05:22 AM

Cool Almost Four Decades Ago? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryf View Post
the Frampton Comes Alive album was released. 39 years ago.......
Enjoyed most of your post- except the part quoted above. I remember that album so well- played it a lot. Geez I feel old!
Martin DX1ae
Fender CD 60SCE-12
Old 06-10-2015, 06:56 AM

Default Frampton replacement

My guess would be Clapton. Derek and the Dominoes were having problems, and if they approached him right after Duane Allman was killed he might have been taking time off to get over that.

Interesting question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Your trivia of the day:

Who got the first call to replace Peter Framtpton in Humble Pie and turned it down?

Bob
Old 06-10-2015, 07:02 AM

Cool.

You know, I saw the Frampton Comes Alive tour at the fabled and decrepit Dome Arena in Rochester, NY (or nearby) with my buddy Dave way back when. I don't listen to that music much anymore, but Frampton was always a really good player IMO -- it would be a bunch fun to see him again. Maybe with less second-hand smoke this time around.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:26 AM

Saw Frampton a few years ago. Started with some of his 70s hits, which were met with modest applause. Then he played an instrumental version of "Black Hole Sun" and the crowd rose to their feet with a roar. Seemed to surprise him, actually. That was perhaps the best performance of a song I've ever seen.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:34 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Your trivia of the day:

Who got the first call to replace Peter Frampton in Humble Pie and turned it down?

Bob
And the answer is...

Joe Walsh.

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-11-2015, 12:04 PM

speaking of peter frampton.... a tuner he is endorsing. from billboard.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...ampaign-axcent

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN