The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-24-2016, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

I'm late to the party, but just have to tip my hat to the Ryan's and Josh. What a beautiful and elegant instrument. Peace and Love. Congratulations!!
Old 05-09-2016, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Default Studio shots...

Hey all! Many of you know that I am a photographer and photographing guitars is one of the things I'm most proud of. I shoot all of Stevie Coyle's guitars for Mighty Fine Guitars and it's taken me years to perfect my philosophies around guitar photography. I stay true to the guitar, occasionally to a fault...I want builders to love what I do.
So, without further ado here is the Kevin Ryan Moonburst! Video soon to follow!

Old 05-09-2016, 04:45 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Well, the guitar is beautiful, but the photos are terrible.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:38 PM
Charter Member

Default Hey thanks buddy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Well, the guitar is beautiful, but the photos are terrible.

Ha!
Guitar photography is the only aspect of my job where I've chosen to go completely technical. The beauty is in the luthiers work, and decisions...my job is highlighting those things.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Default So, this happening!

Stevie Coyle making a video for us! (Those walls!)

Old 05-22-2016, 10:40 AM

Wow Josh....... That is a crazy beautiful guitar you have there. And your photos do it so much justice. Beautiful wall of guitars too! I know you are probably busy with it but.... where is the promised video??

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-11-2016, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Default Video soon. Shot, recorded...

Old 06-14-2016, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Default Chillin...

Old 07-24-2016, 11:16 PM
Charter Member

Default A nod to my kid,

So, I've been waiting on a piece to come for my guitar for a while now. Something Kevin and I talked about during the middle of the build and it showed up today.
My son is 7 now but when he was about two or three he was messing about with paint brush and accidentally painted something I thought was beautiful. My wife and I framed it all those years ago and it's been on a wall ever since.
There is a particular brush stroke that stands out in it and during one of our conversations I asked Kevin how easy it would be to inlay a personal design on the truss rod cover of the guitar. He asked to see what I had in mind, I texted him a picture, and after looking he offered etching it instead. A more subtle treatment that would be more noticeable as you got closer to the guitar.
My little boy knew there was something in the works that had to do with him but he didn't want to know what it was until it arrived. He watched me open the box and fish out the new cover...at first he was confused, until I brought it over to the picture and placed it next to it. He was taken by it...
I took the old cover off, put it in the case, and put the new one on. It completed the guitar for me...now my boy is a part of it. I don't know if it adds to or takes away aesthetically, but it doesn't matter...I love it.

Last edited by JJI; 09-19-2016 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Very cool!!!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 07-25-2016, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Okay, it's one thing to get a new handmade guitar, then add to that the fine work of Kevin Ryan, and THEN, you get Stevie Coyle to play it and record it? You're knocking this out of the park, Josh.

You just met her and now you're sleeping with her already? I know seduction is a powerful drug. Congrats on all counts.

Best,
Jayne
Old 07-30-2016, 01:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Very cool!!!
Thank you! It really ties the room together

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Okay, it's one thing to get a new handmade guitar, then add to that the fine work of Kevin Ryan, and THEN, you get Stevie Coyle to play it and record it? You're knocking this out of the park, Josh.

You just met her and now you're sleeping with her already? I know seduction is a powerful drug. Congrats on all counts.

Best,
Jayne
Thank you Jayne! This guitar is hard to find words for...

And as for the video with Stevie...I recognize the delay, but I promise it is on the way. We recorded one but, in the end, we weren't happy. Stevie wants to do it again so that's what we'll do! Soon though.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:21 AM

I finally got to see, hold and play this baby. This Ryan is a great guitar and is to my ear the best of any Ryan I have played. It ranks up there with some of the best guitars I've played period.

This is Josh's Guitar, the neck was for his hands not mine but still was very comfortable and I could get used to it. The body is thicker that anything I own by at least a 1/2" maybe more but the arm bevel makes it very comfortable. The clarity across the strings is superb and all the Ryan tone you would expect is there, plus! I could fine nothing tonally I didn't like, sustain for days, harmonics were present but uncluttered, bass was clear and present and not overpowering, Mids had clarity and the trebles crystalline without being at all harsh. The projection was more radiant than a focused beam...not sure how to explain that? Like a Bose L1 compared to a Crate Amp? The sound was room filling.

Visually it is a stunning guitar, the "smoke" burst is absolutely gorgeous. Josh and I share the same affection for beautiful, plain Jane - dead on Quartered, vertical grain, Brazilian, this set is amazing.

I have two disappointing points however, 1: I would love this to be a good inch thinner! 2: It isn't mine.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

Default Video reshoot slated for next wed...iPad pics now tho

Old 09-08-2016, 02:25 AM

Nice pics above . thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Looks to me like the braces are CNC'ed to give those holes, no doubt with the aim of reducing mass. If so, then how much additional scalloping of these does Mr. Ryan do by hand, or are they glued in place as is?

I guess I'm asking if the top is voiced by brace shaving just like a "standard" brace would be if done by another luthier?

Cheers,
Steve
I note this question did not really get answered. Does anyone know the answer?

Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop