The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-04-2019, 07:55 AM

Default EXP 16 playability

I've never had an interest in coated strings--not much trouble with string life--but I wonder about this after playing a set on a Washburn I tried out in a music store. Does the coating make them easier to play, as the round core of Sunbeams reputedly does? I did notice that it results in less tension, but is that the only reason? The Washburn played very nicely, and I'm not sure it was only the setup.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

I don't think there is any less tension on a comparable gauge of D'Addario coated EXP16 strings compared to say EJ16 uncoated strings. And I don't think there is anything in the coating that would make these strings easier to play, either. In my experience, they simply last longer when coated.

Elixir strings, because of the TFE coating, tend to be a little quieter in terms of string noise, but again, I don't think they have lower tension or are easier to play.

I am just guessing, of course, but it might be that the Washburn you played in the music store was set up a little better than you are used to. Or, perhaps the nut width or depth of the neck fit your hand and fingers better. It's also possible that the strings on the Washburn were a lighter gauge than you are used to.

I hope my response might be a little helpful...

- Glenn
Old 05-04-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I don't think there is any less tension on a comparable gauge of D'Addario coated EXP16 strings compared to say EJ16 uncoated strings. And I don't think there is anything in the coating that would make these strings easier to play, either. In my experience, they simply last longer when coated...
Agreed. I've never found coated strings to be any easier or harder to play than uncoated strings. Some people claim that some are too "slippery" for them but I find no difference.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:59 AM

I presume you've played the ever popular EJ16s. If that's the case, then they are identical (...maybe a bit duller in tone, but identical). D'addario quotes the same string tension, and unlike Elixir there's nothing slippery about them. YMMV...
Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 05-04-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I don't think there is any less tension on a comparable gauge of D'Addario coated EXP16 strings compared to say EJ16 uncoated strings. And I don't think there is anything in the coating that would make these strings easier to play, either. In my experience, they simply last longer when coated.

Elixir strings, because of the TFE coating, tend to be a little quieter in terms of string noise, but again, I don't think they have lower tension or are easier to play.

I am just guessing, of course, but it might be that the Washburn you played in the music store was set up a little better than you are used to. Or, perhaps the nut width or depth of the neck fit your hand and fingers better. It's also possible that the strings on the Washburn were a lighter gauge than you are used to.

I hope my response might be a little helpful...

- Glenn
Actually, when I checked the D'addario site it said EJ16's are 160.5 and EXP16's 156.2. But I have experimented with gauges (ruling out lighter than I'm used to), so I thought it was something else. And the nut width is the same as my comparison model at home. Maybe it IS just the setup after all. I will say that your response (and others) satisfied me that there's nothing magical about coated strings, so thanks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion