The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-26-2022, 04:36 PM

I know a place that does consignment but it's local to me.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 06-26-2022, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

I'd chose a shop within driving distance. Shipping and insuring two guitars right now will cost you about $300 depending on the shipping company and how far they're traveling.

As some people have said above, most shops will charge a 20-25% consignment fee, and some will charge a setup fee as well. (Even if you don't think the instruments need it.) Also make sure that the guitars will be covered under the shop's insurance while they are there.

I hope you get top dollar and find exactly what you're looking for. Good luck!
Old 06-27-2022, 03:51 AM

The suggestion of consigning your guitars to the shop you will be buying your Martin from makes the most sense to me. If you can find a place with in a few hours drive it would be worth your while to talk to them and see if they are interested. That is exactly what I am in the process of doing. As another pointed out just the cost of shipping two guitars to a vendor to sell for you can be $300 or more.
Old 06-27-2022, 04:03 AM

I completely understand the not-dealing-with-the-public thing.
It’s why I’ve consigned several guitars through a local dealer.
It’s been worth the 20%.

Shipping your instruments off is going to be another $$$ hit. I’d talk to a local shop. Trading them towards your new desired guitar is a good idea as far as less hassle but you will get less $$$ for them.
Old 06-27-2022, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe86 View Post
At the risk of offending folks I just don't have the attitude to deal with the same question again and again

1. What's your best price

2. Will you include shipping

3. Do you take Venmo

I would rather consign and not deal with the issue and spend my time playing

If that answer offends anyone I applogize.
If you spell these things out clearly and up front in the ad you shouldn't have to answer any questions.
Old 06-27-2022, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Where is the OP located? If you are in New England I recommend you take them to the Music Mill in Manchester for a trade. They are a Martin Dealer and always have a great selection on hand. I got my OM28 and OOO 18 from them, both involving trades.
Old 06-27-2022, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenumber2 View Post
If you spell these things out clearly and up front in the ad you shouldn't have to answer any questions.
You’d think, but I would bet $100 that he’d get at least a few folks asking the questions.

Stating things in an ad, like no trades or cash only, in person, mean nothing. In fact they appear to invite people to argue why you should take Venmo, etc.
Old 06-27-2022, 09:48 AM

One thing I'd suggest is to thoroughly check out the store doing the consignments. I've never dealt with a national company only with local stores. Here's my report card ... I know I've posted about this before but I thought I would revive it.

1. A Guild D-25. Store owner said the guitar hadn't sold but I went to a jam one night and there was a young guy playing it. I called the owner the next morning and again was told , "Sorry, hasn't sold." I told him what I knew and said I was coming over and I wanted cash or I would report him to the police. I got my money.

2. An USA-made Fender Stratocaster. I put it on consignment while I was waiting for probate court to clear on an estate so I needed the money. Once it cleared I went back to the store, happy that I could still get the guitar. Got to the store and was told it had been sold a month or two ago (when I desperately could have used the money) but they "forgot" to let me know. I wasn't even offered an apology but I did get the money.

3. A Fender tube amp. I got the money I wanted very quickly and the owner was a great guy. He told me my amp was the best-sounding amp he had in his small store and so he was able to sell it quickly.

4. A Squier Jaguar. I got the money I wanted but the owner refused to pay me the money until the check cleared that was posted by the seller. I don't know if that was legal or not but I thought it was strange. But I got my money after repeated calls to the store owner, most of which he did not return.

In the first case, the worst one I thought because his action was clearly illegal, I think I did my true diligence as I was a returning customer who had bought some guitar accessories and had him one or two repairs on my gear. We were on a first-name basis too but he just said, as a way of apology, he had some cash-flow problems and wanted to pay me as soon as he had some more money. It was sad because I never set foot in his shop again.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 06-27-2022, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfoo6952 View Post
My recommendation would be Larry at www.organicsoundsguitars.com. He charges a very reasonable fee of 20%. I've consigned a guitar with him and the transaction went very smoothly.
Let me +1 this, Larry is a wonderful person to deal with and has consigned two of my guitars. I cannot recommend him highly enough, fantastic experience!
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 06-27-2022, 11:37 AM

Default a question

I'm guessing OP's constrained by the value equation, shipping costs money, setup charges erode the net amount to the consignor, both of these are the same regardless of the selling price of an instrument.

I suspect (without any knowledge) that a Craigslist sale would bring OP more net cash than a sale involving consignment and shipping. At least Craigslist is a destination for folks trying to buy something. Are there folks who for a piece of the pie handle Craigslist sales as agents of the seller?
Old 06-27-2022, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Tall Toad in Petaluma CA but have no idea if that would be convenient for you.
Best,
Jayne
Old 06-27-2022, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryc-k View Post
You’d think, but I would bet $100 that he’d get at least a few folks asking the questions.

Stating things in an ad, like no trades or cash only, in person, mean nothing. In fact they appear to invite people to argue why you should take Venmo, etc.
In which case their email goes straight to the trash. I find a simple 5 minute phone call gives me an idea who I’m dealing with. I won’t sell or buy anything sold privately online without speaking with the other party. Buyers seem to forget the seller has NO obligation to complete the transaction … and need not say why.
Old 06-27-2022, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Default Consigning an Eastman guitar

I've gotten at least 10 messages from folks wanting to buy my guitar at full price with their son picikng it up but they have to pay by Venmo.

Venmo is notorious for buyers using stolen credit cards and other scams.
Old 06-27-2022, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe86 View Post
I've gotten at least 10 messages from folks wanting to buy my guitar at full price with their son picikng it up but they have to pay by Venmo.

Venmo is notorious for buyers using stolen credit cards and other scams.
Tell them to send their son with cash.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 06-27-2022, 07:38 PM

Given the price range of those particular guitars, I’d just trade them in.

By the time you pay shipping to a consignment shop, pay for any repairs that they may require (as with Elderly), pay the consign fee, wait to get your money, it wouldn’t be worth the hassle to me. My preference is to take my lumps and move on quickly.

In a months time, you will likely have forgotten all about it.

Now, if they were high level guitars, that’s a different proposition altogether.

Rb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion