The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-23-2021, 05:18 PM

Default Transferring recordings iPhone

I am curious if you all have some recommendations for transferring recordings on an iPhone with 2 computers. My cell phone syncs with my work computer and I’ve been recording on my Mac. I’m logged into both machines with my Apple ID. Is there a way to transfer my records on the to Mac to my phone without overwriting the iTunes sync on the work laptop? Hopefully that makes sense? Thanks

Last edited by TomB'sox; 02-08-2023 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Public discussion of price not allowed
Old 09-23-2021, 05:49 PM

Are the recordings from the Voice Memos app? Setting them to sync with iCloud may work.

Last time I needed to move something from MacBook iTunes to my phone, I needed third party software..it may have been called AnyTrans…it was one of the free ones. The only issue with the free version was how many files you can transfer at once
Old 09-23-2021, 06:13 PM

Thanks! Good to know.

I am able to share voice memos through the cloud.

I am talking songs I have recorded in logic. If I convert to an mp3 and load in iTunes is there a way to save to the phone without sending the mp3 to the other computer to sync.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 02-08-2023 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Public discussion of price not allowed
Old 09-23-2021, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

There's an easy way to mount an iPhone as a Linux
filesystem. Maybe your computers can do that... ? They're
Macs? PeeCees?

-Mike
Old 09-23-2021, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

It’s not completely clear which direction you’re going, but I use AirDrop to send files from the phone to a local Mac. Bi-directional sharing is done with Google Drive but you could use iCloud or Dropbox.
Old 09-23-2021, 07:23 PM

So I just checked. The 3rd party app I use is called iMazing.

It's pretty straight forward: Just connect the phone to the laptop via the charging cable and drag and drop.

Best of luck with the project
Old 09-23-2021, 08:05 PM

Awesome, thank you all!

Old 09-24-2021, 10:14 AM

I'm not 100% clear on what exactly you're doing, but simply here to offer a really good File management app for the iPhone I've used for a few years.

I record on two Macs and like to transfer the GarageBand .mp3s to my phone and tablet to play in the car. Thanks to Apple's bizarre lockdown strategy with all music files, I loathe iTunes and refuse to use it.

"FileBrower" does a great job finding my files on the Mini desktop and copying them to it's own FileBrowser folder on my phone and tablet. It's unable to access the iTunes directory but you can access all your pics in Photo as well as every other non-iTunes file.
Old 09-24-2021, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmist View Post
I'm not 100% clear on what exactly you're doing, but simply here to offer a really good File management app for the iPhone I've used for a few years.

I record on two Macs and like to transfer the GarageBand .mp3s to my phone and tablet to play in the car. Thanks to Apple's bizarre lockdown strategy with all music files, I loathe iTunes and refuse to use it.

"FileBrower" does a great job finding my files on the Mini desktop and copying them to it's own FileBrowser folder on my phone and tablet. It's unable to access the iTunes directory but you can access all your pics in Photo as well as every other non-iTunes file.
Once you have a bunch of mp3s in your FileBrowser directory how do you tell
your car to start playing which song and what song is "the next song"? Is
bluetooth involved? I burned a bunch of my CDs and recently copied them to
my iphone - a directory full of directories containing mp3s. I can navigate to them
with my "files" icon on my phone and pick a song to play. When that song is done,
there's not a "next" song.

BTW: A friend had a video on her iphone she wanted me to upload to
youtube... as in keith.rogers' suggestion, we AirDropped the video from
her phone to mine it was an easy and apple-ish way to do the file transfer.

-Mike
Old 09-24-2021, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

I use iTunes. It's taken a little turn to the "everything's a billable service" world of internet 2020s, because buying individual songs is tedious, if possible at all; BUT, they took away the DRM/locking of songs a long time ago. So, I just put stuff there, whether it's ripped CDs or my own recordings, whatever. Honestly, it's not bad, and I can control the bitrate of the content on the phone, and it kind of does a reasonable job of loudness levelling, so that's not bad in the car when on a road trip.

I create playlists, and can talk to the dang thing (well, the in-dash unit running CarPlay, pretending to be a person called Siri) and tell it to play (or shuffle) my Bluegrass Americana playlist without looking at the phone or screen in the dash. Or pick out a single song, album or artist. WHY would I want to use files in a cloud storage app for that?
Old 09-25-2021, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcapsc View Post
Once you have a bunch of mp3s in your FileBrowser directory how do you tell your car to start playing which song and what song is "the next song"?

Is bluetooth involved? I burned a bunch of my CDs and recently copied them to my iphone - a directory full of directories containing mp3s. I can navigate to them with my "files" icon on my phone and pick a song to play. When that song is done, there's not a "next" song.
Filebrowser has a "Home" folder for your phone that you use to import your songs off your Desktop via wifi sharing. Within that folder you can put another folder for your road songs. The song you select will play via bluetooth to your car. Like with "Files" it will stop after playing that one song.

To get it to play a series of songs, you'd select the ones you want and then there is a "Queue Audio" function which will play them sequentially. That sounds wonkier than it is in practice but it works fine and you only have to do it once and the phone will remember what songs you queued up next time you use the app.
Old 09-27-2021, 12:48 PM

I move files between iPad, Windows and Android using Google Drive. Is this an option?
Old 09-28-2021, 09:54 AM

Sorry I didn't explain this better but I do appreciate all the help! Thank you! I am going to experiment with Google Drive and File Browser.

Old 09-29-2021, 08:54 AM

Good call.

Don't forget to report back your observations for the benefit of someone else with the same question later.

All the best.
Old 09-29-2021, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
It’s not completely clear which direction you’re going, but I use AirDrop to send files from the phone to a local Mac. Bi-directional sharing is done with Google Drive but you could use iCloud or Dropbox.
Yes to this.
It works both ways too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD