The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-25-2018, 10:05 PM

Thumbs up SCGC Low Tension

I typically don't give reviews on strings (unless they are Retros- which I absolutely love on one of my guitars) but I really needed to come on here and share my experience with you all.

Upon someone else's request here on the AGF I bought a pack of the Low Tensions around Christmas time. I put them on my RainSong, and while nice, they didn't quite sound as good as a couple other go-to strings for that guitar. Since that guitar is a longer scale length I salvaged them and put them on my all-Sapele Dreadnought Jr. (back sometime in early January).

I loved the tone and feel of them immediately. They have a great springiness to them without getting too thuddy even on a short 24" scale and in drop tunings. But I haven't even gotten to what I feel is the best part of all- the longevity. I wanted to put a pick up in the Martin and installed a JJB 330 which meant I needed to move the strings out of the way. I capoed them around the nut and left them loosely coiled on the machines but pushed out of the way. After the install I pinned them back into the bridge and, once again, brought them up to pitch. Wow is all I can say!! These strings have essentially been installed twice and are still singing great and in near perfect intonation at the end of May- the one caveat being that they seem to be losing a bit of projection! Even though they have SCGC proprietary "coating" they do not feel like it.

Yes, they are expensive- and while i'm not an "everyday for hours on end" kind of player, they are really holding on. Did I mention they don't feel coated or sound coated?? Nice strings SCGC!
Old 05-26-2018, 08:17 AM

I just received two sets from Carolyn at SCGC while traveling through town. I will install them on my Brondel when I return home this weekend.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

I used them a couple of times on my J-45 and really liked them. Once I wear out the Martin Titaniums I have on it now I will go back the SC strings. The Martins sound really nice though, but I like like the feel of the SC's a touch better. I just want to add though that the J-45 is not a guitar that I expect to "ring out" for ballad types of instrumentals. I use it for blues, and "Mountain Guitar" type of music.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
I just received two sets from Carolyn at SCGC while traveling through town. I will install them on my Brondel when I return home this weekend.
ALL my guitars are strung with SCGC strings, the dreads get med. tension the rest lights. Beyond the amazing ease of play and the superior clarity, the longevity makes them a good value.
I change strings about 3 times a year and I play each guitar about 2-3 hrs. a week.

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...
Old 05-26-2018, 03:27 PM

I like them as well. However recently I switched to Straight Up Strings which have may of the same qualities (started by a former SC employee) but are half the price. Tone wise I haven't found a difference but I'm waiting to see if they last as long as the SCGC.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:05 AM

I love them, I had a set on my Reso that lasted about a year with daily playing and tuning changing...your mileage may vary
Old 05-28-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I like them as well. However recently I switched to Straight Up Strings which have may of the same qualities (started by a former SC employee) but are half the price. Tone wise I haven't found a difference but I'm waiting to see if they last as long as the SCGC.
Was Roger Siminoff an employee or a consultant? The way I've read the description is that he consulted SCGC on the strings but wasn't in their employ when they were developed.

Yes, there are similarities between the two brands, but I've come to learn that they are of the same construct but have gauge/tension/concept differences that I was unaware of until recently. With so many other strings to test I haven't taken the opportunity to test the SCGC strings, though I've played the SUS strings quite a bit. Longevity has been decent, but I tend not to keep strings on a guitar very long, coated or uncoated.

For comparison's sake, below is a chart comparing gauge and tension of SCGC vs SUS. The SCGC data isn't generally published but another forum member dug it up and I thought it would be appropriate to share for other interested members.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Santa_Cruz_SUS_data_v2.jpg (43.1 KB, 72 views)
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 05-28-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
Was Roger Siminoff an employee or a consultant? The way I've read the description is that he consulted SCGC on the strings but wasn't in their employ when they were developed.

Yes, there are similarities between the two brands, but I've come to learn that they are of the same construct but have gauge/tension/concept differences that I was unaware of until recently. With so many other strings to test I haven't taken the opportunity to test the SCGC strings, though I've played the SUS strings quite a bit. Longevity has been decent, but I tend not to keep strings on a guitar very long, coated or uncoated.

For comparison's sake, below is a chart comparing gauge and tension of SCGC vs SUS. The SCGC data isn't generally published but another forum member dug it up and I thought it would be appropriate to share for other interested members.
Very interesting. I have played both the SCGC low tensions and the SUS mids and they feel exactly the same to me in tension despite what the specs say. I guess the difference isn't enough for my fingers to notice.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:36 AM

I use SCGC mid tension on an OM. Like them better than SUS.

Looking at the charts you wouldn't expect much difference, but I don't think they're the same in terms of sound and feel.

Took off the SUS fairly soon, so can't comment on longevity.

I don't even try different strings anymore - after a couple years of experimentation.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Blake View Post
I use SCGC mid tension on an OM. Like them better than SUS.

Looking at the charts you wouldn't expect much difference, but I don't think they're the same in terms of sound and feel.

Took off the SUS fairly soon, so can't comment on longevity.

I don't even try different strings anymore - after a couple years of experimentation.
I find the sound and feel almost the same. Funny how we all perceive things differently.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion