The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-25-2018, 12:41 PM

To put the dilemma in perspective, Elderly has a Santa Cruz Model F for sale at $5040.00 (I assume new).

It's certainly worth fixing by somebody - only you can decide whether or not that person will be you. I'd find the best luthier in your area and walk the guitar into his/her shop and ask them to evaluate exactly what repairs would be needed and an estimate of the cost.

Although the crack was disclosed as being in repair, if you feel you were misled about the condition of the guitar contact an attorney now, immediately - do not wait. They can tell you how you can protect yourself and ensure that you can get a refund if that is what you ultimately decide to do.

Personally, if the guitar sounds great and can be repaired competently by a local luthier, I'd make the seller pay for the crack repair.

This is off Santa Cruz's website: "The lifetime warranty covers the guitar for the lifetime of the original owner. SCGC typically goes far beyond their stated responsibilities to help any Santa Cruz owner but the official lifetime warranty doesn’t extend beyond the original ownership." So they probably are not going to fix this gratis.

Last edited by PhilNBend; 05-25-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

I'd echo the comments about telling the store it's being returned unless they refund the cost of the repairs not disclosed and getting a proper case, which is going to be expensive for an original SCGC case. I'm a big fan of the F model and imagine it's a bit unique sized as well. I'd suggest having the folks at Santa Cruz give you an estimate for the repair and a new case and then telling the shop.

Best of luck!
Old 05-25-2018, 01:48 PM

Taylor makes a great end pin that will work for a drilled out 1/2" hole.
https://www.taylorguitars.com/taylor...uttons/end-pin
I put one in my wife's guitar after I removed the pickup.

You might be able to get one from a local tech that installs pickups.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:36 PM

To L20A, the metal endpins offered by Taylor and Larrivee are identical. They may be made by the same manufacturer. If you feel that Taylor's offering is superior, go with it, but I would bet that it is not.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:47 PM

Did you buy the one from Guitar Center? My brother in law was looking at that one.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:16 AM

I also want to know which store this was, as I do a lot of business online and would prefer to stay far, far away from a shop that would do this.

If they'll do it once, they'll do it again... I would definitely have no problem putting the name of the store right here in the thread, if it were me, but if you don't want to I'd appreciate a PM as well with what shop this was.

I'd also return it just on principle; even if I was in LOVE with the guitar it would take some serious serious customer service on their end to get me to keep it. Which, obviously, it sounds like isn't going to happen.

Anyway, sorry to hear this whole story and hope it turns out OK. let us know what happens.

SC
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 05-26-2018, 10:08 AM

Default You Can Have Confidence In SCGC

Went through a similar purchase of a D-12 last fall although the damages were disclosed going in and the price before repairs was a bargain.
All I can tell you is if Santa Cruz rebuilds it you will have virtually a new guitar.
You'll have to be patient though, it will take them about three months.
They split the shipping costs.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:25 AM

Way too many issues as is the case of many online purchases. I'd send it back and remind myself never to buy a guitar without seeing and playing it first. Yes, that limits the market opportunity for GAS but saves the disappointment of a purchase failure.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 05-26-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
Way too many issues as is the case of many online purchases. I'd send it back and remind myself never to buy a guitar without seeing and playing it first. Yes, that limits the market opportunity for GAS but saves the disappointment of a purchase failure.
Lovely thought but if someone lives in a virtual guitar desert (like where I live) where you have to drive on average 4 hours to try anything above very basic Fender or Alvarez and you have to work for a living, on-line purchases are the only way to go. I look for a good return policy, and pray that USPS/FedEx are careful.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apell View Post
If I decide to keep it, I'll do this. Heading towards returning it. It's leaving a bad taste in my mouth. If I do keep it, no way will I have them fix it. Back to SCGC it will go..
That would certainly be your choice - but they've offered to fix it so repair from SC would probably be on you. I would return it and buy a SC F model either new or that you play (view and inspect) prior to purchase. I would like to see the original ad and photos and, as Wade stated, know who sold this as is because I would want to avoid them as well.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apell View Post
Santa Cruz will repair it, and deal with the lacquer checking around it, another issue that was mentioned by the seller, but not the extent of it. They won't deal with tailpiece. That's on me. Another poster suggested Larrivee might have something better than the StewMac one. I'll check.
Given the amount of $ I'd have in it, it is a puzzlement. I'm ticked that these issues weren't disclosed before I bought it...And I wish I hadn't played it before I checked on the "repair". I love the way ti plays and sounds...
As you said earlier...these F models are not super common to come by.

If you truly love the sound and playability, then why not have it fixed and play it. That is why you bought the guitar in the first place rrrriiiiigggghhhhtttt???

I agree with Todd Yates...push for a more appropriate refund from the seller, but, in the end, if this guitar really speaks to you, fix it up and enjoy it, heck you won't have to worry about taking it anywhere/everywhere should you want to play it at the beach, or the mountains, or your semi rowdy friends house. It already has the wear...it's a PLAYER...what could be better? {;-).

So PLAY it already!

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 05-26-2018, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

I saw a used guitar identical to what you described on Guitar Center’s used website. I think it was the same guitar. I called them and they disclosed the things that you described and they have a very good return policy. It was also priced appropriately for its condition. I don’t think the store did anything shady. Especially, given their very generous return policy.

It’s pretty simple, if you like the tone and feel, make the repairs. If you don’t, return the guitar.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

There are a lot of people who’ll respond solely based on their perceived intention of profiting from buying/selling guitars. I look at it from a different perspective.

I have 5 or 6 model F’s - it is a great shape, and they are great guitars. But I like them with a 1-13/16” nut, which is much harder to come by, and has made them hard to find, and when I do, I will happily deal with some issues. All of them I’ve bought used - all of them have needed some repair work. Some minor, some major. Santa Cruz builds a very traditional guitar, and they are extremely repairable, so thats not an issue to me. If your primary concern is cosmetic, buy a new one. But if you are looking for a great player instrument, a well used Santa Cruz is an incredible value.

You don’t give enough info about the guitar to make any judgement about what you paid or what it might be worth. If its brazillian, and you got it under 3k, I wouldn’t care what it cost to get if restored. Even some of their koa or maple, or even walnut, are very rare and hard to get inexpensively. Does is have any special inlays, or decoration? That adds something. Some of the older ones have some very special tops - I have one with a 200+ yr old german spruce top that I don’t think could ever be replaced. Does it make it hugely valuable? No - it had been played and toured with for over 25 years before I got it, and it sure as heck looks like it. Plays, feels, and sounds heavenly -

A few comments - if the endpin is drilled ½”, throw a K&K in there - problem solved, you won’t regret it. You say the top crack wasn’t repaired? Are you sure? Thats an incredibly simple, common, and inexpensive repair. Not original case? You might be happy - alot of the old F cases were not great. A good SKB can be had inexpensively, and is a much, much better case if you wanna take it out. A little extra room make sit alot easier to keep your strap in there, and even a wipe down cloth. If you love the guitar - the issues you’ve mentioned sound minimal, and can be easily taken care of. Is there more? Have you had a really good tech check it out thoroughly?

Should these have been disclosed? Probably - did you ask? Did you speak to the seller while they had the guitar in their hands, looking it over and decribing everything they see? If you’re buying from a brick and mortar shop, thats the one thing thats a huge advantage buying from them and really easy to do - you really find out what the condition of the guitar is, and you can ask questions while they have the guitar in their hands and can look the guitar over. Takes less than 5 minutes, and makes it very hard to get surprised when you open the case.

If your hope is to make a profit from this guitar - send it back, complain to your credit card company or Paypal, get your money back and move on. If you’ve found something you love and you feel like you’ve bonded with it and want to keep it for a long time, fix it up, enjoy it, and don’t look back. A few years from now you’ll pick it up, play it, and the past won’t make one whit of difference in the pleasure you get from playing that guitar - and I’d even bet that you’ll be glad you got it for what it ended up costing you, compared to what it would cost you to find one then -

Good luck - and Enjoy!
Old 05-26-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
There are a lot of people who’ll respond solely based on their perceived intention of profiting from buying/selling guitars. I look at it from a different perspective.

I have 5 or 6 model F’s - it is a great shape, and they are great guitars. But I like them with a 1-13/16” nut, which is much harder to come by, and has made them hard to find, and when I do, I will happily deal with some issues. All of them I’ve bought used - all of them have needed some repair work. Some minor, some major. Santa Cruz builds a very traditional guitar, and they are extremely repairable, so thats not an issue to me. If your primary concern is cosmetic, buy a new one. But if you are looking for a great player instrument, a well used Santa Cruz is an incredible value.

You don’t give enough info about the guitar to make any judgement about what you paid or what it might be worth. If its brazillian, and you got it under 3k, I wouldn’t care what it cost to get if restored. Even some of their koa or maple, or even walnut, are very rare and hard to get inexpensively. Does is have any special inlays, or decoration? That adds something. Some of the older ones have some very special tops - I have one with a 200+ yr old german spruce top that I don’t think could ever be replaced. Does it make it hugely valuable? No - it had been played and toured with for over 25 years before I got it, and it sure as heck looks like it. Plays, feels, and sounds heavenly -

A few comments - if the endpin is drilled ½”, throw a K&K in there - problem solved, you won’t regret it. You say the top crack wasn’t repaired? Are you sure? Thats an incredibly simple, common, and inexpensive repair. Not original case? You might be happy - alot of the old F cases were not great. A good SKB can be had inexpensively, and is a much, much better case if you wanna take it out. A little extra room make sit alot easier to keep your strap in there, and even a wipe down cloth. If you love the guitar - the issues you’ve mentioned sound minimal, and can be easily taken care of. Is there more? Have you had a really good tech check it out thoroughly?

Should these have been disclosed? Probably - did you ask? Did you speak to the seller while they had the guitar in their hands, looking it over and decribing everything they see? If you’re buying from a brick and mortar shop, thats the one thing thats a huge advantage buying from them and really easy to do - you really find out what the condition of the guitar is, and you can ask questions while they have the guitar in their hands and can look the guitar over. Takes less than 5 minutes, and makes it very hard to get surprised when you open the case.

If your hope is to make a profit from this guitar - send it back, complain to your credit card company or Paypal, get your money back and move on. If you’ve found something you love and you feel like you’ve bonded with it and want to keep it for a long time, fix it up, enjoy it, and don’t look back. A few years from now you’ll pick it up, play it, and the past won’t make one whit of difference in the pleasure you get from playing that guitar - and I’d even bet that you’ll be glad you got it for what it ended up costing you, compared to what it would cost you to find one then -

Good luck - and Enjoy!
I was waiting for Tadol to chime in...and as usual he is right.
I think the F is one of the great models from Santa Cruz Guitars.
I have owned a Ziricote/German ( Sold and wish I had not) and my current Maple/German.
If the sound of your F has hit your heart then make the best deal you can and send it to SCGC for rehab.....you will then have a "Keeper" with a bit of Mojo.

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...
Old 05-26-2018, 05:35 PM

I really want to know if this is that one from Guitar Center that I was looking at. The price was really low.

The salesman at GC described it over the phone as “professionally repaired” to the point where he claimed he couldn’t even photograph it.

I’m super curious. Could you post pics of it?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion