The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 03-09-2018, 04:08 PM

Default bridge height

I just got a Loar archtop bought on line and it seems to me that the bridge is cranked up pretty high. The action is low and it plays nice, but I wonder if the bridge height is a problem? Can the studs bend? There is a lot of space between the bridge and the saddle. I could return the guitar but don't know if I should. It's my first archtop and I know nothing about the proper setup.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:00 PM

A picture would help. Yes, the studs can bend if the saddle is cranked up too high, or more likely lean over, thereby enlarging the tapped holes in the bridge base so they no longer fit properly. An acoustic archtop guitar should have somewhere around a 14 degree break angle where the strings pass over the bridge. But of course the action has to be kept at the proper height, so the geometry is really determined by the neck angle and height above the top. The bridge then has to be properly dimensioned to fit that geometry. Generally, the saddle height should end up around 3/4"-1" above the top. Some factory guitars start with a bridge that's too short and compensate by cranking it up too high. If that's your situation, the good news is that it's a pretty easy and not too expensive fix to replace the bridge with one that fits better. So if you like the guitar otherwise, take it to a repair shop for an estimate.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:09 AM

Thanks for the input. I do like the guitar. I'm thinking I'll buy a replacement bridge from StewMac which seems to be about the right height. I'll check the angle you mentioned. The top of the bridge is almost 1" above the body. The action is very low and there's not much travel left on the screws. It's very easy to play with the action low, but I want to try raising it for more volume.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:36 AM

Keep in mind that any new bridge you buy will need to have the bottom shaped to precisely fit the top of your guitar, with no gaps. That is very important and a little tricky to accomplish. The shaping process will also likely remove some height from the bridge. If you haven't done this before, you might want to take it to someone who has. Good luck!
Old 03-10-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lat18 View Post
I just got a Loar archtop bought on line and it seems to me that the bridge is cranked up pretty high...I could return the guitar but don't know if I should. It's my first archtop and I know nothing about the proper setup.
You've got enough smarts to know that the bridge is set pretty high - and the fact that you've considered the possibility of returning the guitar suggests to me that you're not totally comfortable with the idea. Since archtops are a new field for you, FYI Loar instruments - especially the lower-end models (you don't say which one you have) - are known for issues with neck geometry (very important to both the tonal and structural integrity of an archtop - far more so than a flattop or electric), and while they can be very nice guitars if you're fortunate enough to get a good one (IME you'll have to cherry-pick more than a few) I suspect the seller knew exactly what he/she had and couldn't wait to unload it. My thoughts: get your money back, and if you've got the itch for a fully-carved jazzbox save your bucks for either a new Eastman or a low-/midline vintage New York Epiphone...
Old 03-26-2018, 08:05 AM

Update on my used Loar. It's an LH-700 by the way. I got a new taller ebony bridge from StewMac and took it to a recommended luthier who fitted it and set up the guitar. I'm happy with the result. The action is a bit higher, but still easy to play and I think the sound is getting better the more I play it. I like the sound although it's very different from my flat top. Takes a bit of getting used to but it's growing on me. The luthier told me the neck is a bit twisted but not bad and now that he pointed it out I can see it sighting down the neck, but it's minor and doesn't affect playability. So all in all a good experience and I'm having fun with a new toy. I bought a K&K Definity pick-up for it but haven't installed it, not sure when or if I will. Not playing out with it as yet. I have a really good flat top with a Seymore-Duncan mag-mic which sounds great plugged in.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lat18 View Post
I just got a Loar archtop bought on line and it seems to me that the bridge is cranked up pretty high. The action is low and it plays nice, but I wonder if the bridge height is a problem? Can the studs bend? There is a lot of space between the bridge and the saddle. I could return the guitar but don't know if I should. It's my first archtop and I know nothing about the proper setup.

If the bridge is high but the action is low things are more than likely set right. On archtops the bridge looks higher than a regular acoustic bridge or even a solid body tune-o-matic. I would certainly have to see a picture to be sure. But it might be just a case of your eyes looking at something you are not used to.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:36 PM

I target a bridge height of 1" to 1.125" over the top when I finalize the neck set on my guitars. Straight out of the Benedetto book, fwiw.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops