The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-25-2019, 03:10 PM

Default Fret end file: buy one or just have shop dress 'em?

I am a capable woodworker, having built a houseful of fine furniture, and my hand tools include some fine planes and chisels from the 1870s 1880s and 1890s.

So I can work with my hands.

I want to smooth up some fret ends, and just watched the Stew-Mac video showcasing their fret-end file. Smooth edges, one rounded, one flat, coarse teeth on one side, fine on other. About $25 from Amazon.

Is this going to be easy, and will the results be as expected? Would like some input before I spring for the tool.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 04-25-2019, 05:09 PM

Like you, I am a DIY kinda guy. I dress my own fret ends when needed, so I've picked up a few tools for the job. I may not be the best at it, but then I don't have to worry about some hacker taking a file to my baby (!) or keeping it in the shop for months. I do my own setups too, for similar reasons. I used to live in Anchorage, AK where good techs were few and far between, and the couple of good ones had a 4-6 month wait list. Doing it myself was the least stressful option.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:25 PM

All depends on what type finish you hope to achieve. I work small metals such as jewelry. Our finishes use multiple files, sand papers, and polishers. Working to a bright finish requires at least two files, two or three sandpaper grits and etc.

Here's a source for files, etc. https://www.riogrande.com/category/tools-and-equipment They sell to anybody, just open an account with your cc on file.

Last edited by JCave; 04-25-2019 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:27 PM

I've tried all sorts of files for rounding the ends on frets. I have this stewmac file, https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tool...sing_File.html, and find it works well. It works much like shown in the video. For $15, you can't lose much by trying it. If you are good with your hands, it is pretty straight-forward.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair