The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-06-2019, 07:54 PM

Default Aiming right hand fingers.

I thumb picked for many years, then quit for a decade. I took it up again maybe 2 years ago. My right (picking) hand now often plays strings with the wrong fingers or misses them altogether. This makes it real hard to learn new tunes. I play a lot of Emmanuel covers which require good accuracy.

Are there any exercises I can use to improve this? Thanks!
Old 11-06-2019, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

I would just take a few simple songs and play them s-l-o-w-l-y until your fingers fall off. You just have to re-learn spatial orientation. While you are sitting at the computer or watching tv just play the open strings gbe using index, middle, ring and then back again also. Every little bit helps.

Pinching exercises might help too. thumb + index, thumb plus middle, etc, alternating the thumb playing E then A and the index the g and the middle the b string

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-06-2019, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtpolk View Post
I thumb picked for many years, then quit for a decade. I took it up again maybe 2 years ago. My right (picking) hand now often plays strings with the wrong fingers or misses them altogether. This makes it real hard to learn new tunes.

I play a lot of Emmanuel covers which require good accuracy.
That combination of comments leaves me oxymoronly nonplussed.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-07-2019, 05:38 AM

Quote:
I thumb picked for many years, then quit for a decade. I took it up again maybe 2 years ago. My right (picking) hand now often plays strings with the wrong fingers or misses them altogether. This makes it real hard to learn new tunes. I play a lot of Emmanuel covers which require good accuracy.

Are there any exercises I can use to improve this? Thanks!
Wrong or inefficient? The strings don't particularly care which finger strikes them. The trick is to get your digital ducks in a row so to speak so that getting from one string to another is as efficient as possible.

Last edited by RRuskin; 11-16-2019 at 12:22 AM.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:36 AM

You just have to develop a technique for picking. There a many effective (and unorthodox) picking styles that work for many people. Find a style that works for you and (like Barry said) practice slowly, then faster, then.... eventually you will build speed and accuracy. Nothing comes quickly. Enjoy the practicing.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:59 AM

It's nothing but time - practice, either picking exercises for more dexterity or specific songs. Or try learning flailing - you still thumb-pick but you hit the strings with a downward flicking nail stroke instead of an upward picking stroke.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:37 AM

Well, thanks for the responses guys! Practice of course, but I was wondering about anchoring the pinky, which I don't do. Would that help with accuracy?
Old 11-07-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Well, thanks for the responses guys! Practice of course, but I was wondering about anchoring the pinky, which I don't do. Would that help with accuracy?
I don't recommend it because it does limit the movement of your other fingers. That being said, different strokes for different folks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write