The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-22-2019, 07:10 AM

Default Tuners for a 70s Made in Japan 12 String

Hi all,

I have a 1970's era 12 string dread, made in Japan (Terada), on which I had some serious work done to restore action and playability (long story). Sounds really cool now.

I'm looking to replace its tuning pegs with new, better quality ones, and having a hard time finding a decent replacement. The setup is 6R6L, meaning 6-in-line on each side (2 units, not 12 separate units). Distance between posts is 25mm and overall length is ~164mm. Solid headstock.

I'm finding tons of cheap Chinese noname sets which appear to fit these measurements, but having difficulty locating a quality set from a respectable brand. Those seem to be selling sets that are either individual tuners, or have inter-post distance of 23.8mm.
The closest I've found that might fit are made by "Ping", however I'm not sure as it this brand's quality.

So after this long-winded preamble (apologies), questions --
1. Can anyone speak to the quality of the Ping products? Specifically I saw P2670 and P2671.
2. Do you know of other good quality sets that will fit the bill?

Thanks!
Doron
Old 04-22-2019, 09:01 AM

What you have are 6L/6R on a plate tuners. It's been my experience that Ping are reasonably good cheap tuners. The ones I've used before were basically Grover copies and they seemed perfectly fine. But like any company they may have a wide range of offerings so I'm not sure about those specifically.

If you want a quality set of tuners then you would probably have to go with individual ones.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
What you have are 6L/6R on a plate tuners. It's been my experience that Ping are reasonably good cheap tuners. The ones I've used before were basically Grover copies and they seemed perfectly fine. But like any company they may have a wide range of offerings so I'm not sure about those specifically.
Thank you!! This is great insight re the Ping brand.

Quote:
If you want a quality set of tuners then you would probably have to go with individual ones.
You mean to say that the well known brands - Grover, Gotoh, Schaller etc. - just don't make these type of contraptions (on a plate, 25mm)?
Old 04-22-2019, 10:42 AM

Default don't overthink

OP isn't marrying someone, just swapping out 40-year-old parts of uncertain origin. I suggest buying a set of the inexpensive tuners that were found, and giving them a try. Might be enough of a fix to do the job satisfactorily. If not, climb the food chain.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _doron_ View Post
You mean to say that the well known brands - Grover, Gotoh, Schaller etc. - just don't make these type of contraptions (on a plate, 25mm)?
Well, it sounded like you did your research and found that out for yourself. I don't really know honestly. But I imagine if you searched around online and came to that conclusion that they do not indeed make such tuners with your spacing. I suppose you could always contact them to be sure though.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Well, it sounded like you did your research and found that out for yourself. I don't really know honestly. But I imagine if you searched around online and came to that conclusion that they do not indeed make such tuners with your spacing. I suppose you could always contact them to be sure though.
Yep, I did indeed search around before posting. That said and done I still believe the vast combined knowledge lurking in these forums is infinitely larger than what I can glean in a hundred searches...

Thanks for all the help!
Old 04-22-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _doron_ View Post
Yep, I did indeed search around before posting. That said and done I still believe the vast combined knowledge lurking in these forums is infinitely larger than what I can glean in a hundred searches...

Thanks for all the help!
Yeah hang tight and keep coming back, some of the vintage guys may come in with vast knowledge and may even have vintage tuners in their collections for you.

Otherwise, Pings are good enough to hold the guitar in tune
Old 04-22-2019, 09:29 PM

Pings are fine. Larrivee used them for awhile a few decades ago.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
12-string, 6l6r, tuning pegs