The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-29-2022, 02:49 AM
Charter Member

Default Paper cuts

Got a one in a bad spot yesterday morning, right on the tip, near the nail, of my right hand middle finger. Band aid put on immediately. 4 hours later I took that band aid off, washed the cut, and then replaced the band aid. This morning I took the band aid off to let the cut harden more and I have liquid bandage on standby for when I try to play tonight.

Non players don't understand the struggles,

Cairn Water {arr. Stephen Wake}:

Avalon Ard Ri L2-320C
Furch Yellow
Gibson J-45
Guild D-120C
Larrivee OM-05
Martin D-16GT
Pellerin SJCW

My Celtic play list
Old 01-29-2022, 04:04 AM

I feel your pain, Barry. I broke a nail yesterday and am so bummed out. Itís going to take forever before it grows back enough to play well.

Old 01-29-2022, 04:21 AM

Always happens in the worst spot. Got one at the base of the V between my second and third finger a few days ago, a real hard spot to put a band aid on but I managed. Yes, the struggle is real
91 Taylor 855c Koa
Old 01-29-2022, 04:56 AM

How did it work out? If the Liquid Bandage didn't work, you could try super-glue.
Old 01-29-2022, 05:36 AM
Charter Member

Perhaps a time to do some flat picking. I recently split my index nail and could still play thumb and two, but with middle affected you are clearly in a frustrating situation. Guitar Pro time maybe...

'The 100th Taran', two McIlroys and some others.
Website
Old 01-29-2022, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimelie View Post
I feel your pain, Barry. I broke a nail yesterday and am so bummed out. Itís going to take forever before it grows back enough to play well.

Hi Aimelie, I hate it when that happens, especially if it breaks too close to the skin. Do you play much with a pick?

As for papercuts, very irritating!
Old 01-29-2022, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Got a one in a bad spot yesterday morning, right on the tip, near the nail, of my right hand middle finger. Band aid put on immediately. 4 hours later I took that band aid off, washed the cut, and then replaced the band aid. This morning I took the band aid off to let the cut harden more and I have liquid bandage on standby for when I try to play tonight.

Non players don't understand the struggles,
Hi Barry
Bummer.

Back in the day, I'd just put a dot of superglue on it and 'go'. We didn't call it liquid bandage back then (and it cost a lot less).

Baby #01
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

ÖJust because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced themÖ
Old 01-29-2022, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hi Aimelie, I hate it when that happens, especially if it breaks too close to the skin. Do you play much with a pick?

As for papercuts, very irritating!
Hi Dru.

I pretty much stopped using a pick when I started playing fingerstyle a couple years ago. But, if it came to that, thatís what Iíd do. Happily, I discovered today that after shortening my other nails to similar lengths as the broken one (not quite, but almost), I can still play Ö just not as loudly as before, so allís well, more or less, that ends well.

Old 01-31-2022, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Fingertip Maintenance

While not paper cuts, I used to struggle with thick, dry, over-developed calluses finally breaking/peeling off in a hot shower or tub, exposing that pink, super-tender wannabe skin underneath. I play heavy strings and do a lot of bluesy bends, so monster "super-calluses" seem at times like synthetic caps on my fingertips. Little or no feeling, and not very flexible.

Losing one of those "caps" always makes for a week or two of wishing they would heal faster, wincing in pain with full-step bends and inadvertently plucking errant open notes on the fretboard with dry, jagged, wounded fingertips. If you practice and gig lot with 11s on your electric guitar, you know what kind of calluses I'm talking about.

Solution? Simple. With really light grade sandpaper or a fine fingernail file, I lightly sand my heavy calluses down (just a little) once a week. I never remove them completely. But sanding them down to half thickness keeps that tough cap on the fingertip flexible and fresh without letting it build into a brittle mutant growth (that might come off all at once).

Try this when you don't have an important gig coming up and enjoy the difference.

Last edited by tinnitus; 01-31-2022 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-31-2022, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Liquid bandage did the trick.

Cairn Water {arr. Stephen Wake}:

Avalon Ard Ri L2-320C
Furch Yellow
Gibson J-45
Guild D-120C
Larrivee OM-05
Martin D-16GT
Pellerin SJCW

My Celtic play list