The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-27-2020, 06:00 PM

Default Carter Style

I’m a bit confused on what others think of Carter style guitar. Does it sound good to listeners and is it worth learning? I think many songs can be played in Carter style. am I wrong?
Old 11-27-2020, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Every style is worth learning. Even if it's something you think you'll never play. At some point it will serve you well.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:56 PM

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=598319
Old 11-27-2020, 09:25 PM

There are few styles more influential that Carter style picking and it is something that you can build on. And it can be used in multiple genres. To me, its one of those things that any serious guitarist ought to have some familiarity with. .... Well, maybe jazz and classical players don't need it so much....

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:59 PM

https://musicwithryan.com/

Check it out.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:19 AM
Charter Member

I see Carter style as the basis for bluegrass/country rhythm / flatpicking style.

I was recently challenged by one of my online zoom clients as to what exactly I do with my personal paying style when playing chord related melody lines.

I hadn't given it much thought so had to go to youtube and watch myself playing.
Maybelle played most of her melody lines on the 4th,5th and 6th strings with the "scratch" just filling in the rhythm aspect.

I realised that I do much the same thing but with a pick.
I'm not one for playing high up the neck on the treble strings - it happens but not often.

so, I think that Maybelles "sound" has evolved into flat picking.
Thoughts?
Old 11-28-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I see Carter style as the basis for bluegrass/country rhythm / flatpicking style.

so, I think that Maybelles "sound" has evolved into flat picking.
Thoughts?
Yes I agree, absolutely. It is difficult to exaggerate Maybelle's influence on American guitar playing, Country, Bluegrass, Folk genres are enormously indebted to her style. Starting out years ago, she was the inspiration for my feeble attempts, mostly her left hand technique. We didn't have a clue at the time that she used finger picks, we attempted her style using a flat pick. A whole generation of Nashville pickers were similarly inspired, Chet Atkins, who she hired and brought to Nashville, and Doc Watson being but the two most prominent. They did not usually play her 2 finger style but adapted the style to a flat pick. Early Bluegrass guitarists, Lester Flatt, Carter Stanley and others, did use 2 finger picks, but later pickers moved to the more adaptable flat pick, with Doc and Clarence White showing the way.

She was so good, that a musician of Earl Scruggs's caliber admitted to not getting a certain lick she used in You Are My Flower. They were making a recording, and Maybelle brought in her L-5 for Earl to try. He said he picked everywhere on the neck, but still it alluded him. Anyone listening to Earl pick that song would be hard pressed to find fault, but the fact that he did says everything about Maybelle's ability.

One just cannot go wrong trying to learn a bit of her technique.

Last edited by RTR; 11-28-2020 at 11:09 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write