The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-21-2020, 08:38 PM

Default Do you prefer to learn a song to completion

and then move on to another, or do you prefer to work on several at a time? I have a song I am working on that is taking forever mainly because it incorporates harmonica and I am totally new to playing a harmonica. But it's taking me forever to master the guitar, singing, and harmonica together. I have to memorize the harmonica licks to play them while playing the guitar at the same time. At least this early in my harmonica experience.

It is coming along though. I do love the challenge.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Usually work on one new thing at a time (probably because most new things are originals I am composing and that takes concentration). I may play through various old things while doing that.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-21-2020, 11:04 PM

I've taken the advice from Andre F. to learn less challenging pieces while working on a difficult piece....and I agree with the mentality. You don't want a piece to take it's toll on you. Very bad things can happen such as quitting guitar.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrockGuitar View Post
If you have the ability to multitrack record the guitar and harp parts, you could play along with the recording, that might help.
Not at this time but I did find an excellent tutorial of the song that is strictly guitar which I can play the harp to in its various parts.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post
and then move on to another, or do you prefer to work on several at a time? I have a song I am working on that is taking forever mainly because it incorporates harmonica and I am totally new to playing a harmonica. But it's taking me forever to master the guitar, singing, and harmonica together. I have to memorize the harmonica licks to play them while playing the guitar at the same time. At least this early in my harmonica experience.

It is coming along though. I do love the challenge.
Hi Cecil

Even in jr high school band we were working on all the songs for the upcoming concert, not just one at a time.

I've always herded a group of songs along the way when I'm learning several at the same time.

I'd suggest for your stated problem that you 'perfect' the harmonica parts, then begin combining/incorporating the segment into performing the arrangement. When I'm using new techniques, I also work at a very slow tempo and then build back up over days/weeks to full speed.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-22-2020, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

I like to learn one or two new ones and play through a few that I have recently learned. Lately I have been composing a bit too so I'll work on a few things in that area too.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-22-2020, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Early on it was pretty much one at a time. Then as we started to gig it became several at a time, especially once I started using an iPad Mini and the SongSheet Pro app. I should clarify that the 'songs' I learn are always very simplified versions made up of mostly open 'cowboy' chords, at least initially. This came from the need to expand our setlists rapidly. Then over time songs are tweaked and arranged as they become more ingrained. Songs that don't come 'quickly' usually don't make it past the initial vetting process unless it just happens to be a song that we REALLY love and want to learn. These days it's oftentimes more picking from the large list of songs we have in order to create mini-setlists for the live online shows and open mics we do.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:50 AM

Thank you all for the comments!
Old 11-23-2020, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

I have a playlist, actually three play lists, and I'm constantly working on those songs and refining them. When I find a new song that I want to add, I just throw it into a list and it becomes one of the songs in the list that needs more work. At some point I'll be playing somewhere and decide to play it. There are probably a half dozen songs in those lists that are in various stages of getting there.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 11-23-2020, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

IMHO the answer is "it depends" on the complexity and difficulty of the song/piece you're learning. We all have our individual points of frustration (and perhaps even exacerbation), and if/when we reach that point learning outcomes are likely very diminished. If fun and challenge turns to frustration and exacerbation, there is little use continuing. For me, I can sense this and move on from it for a time (ranging from hours to days). I also re-energize and encourage myself by playing some songs that I know well and appreciate how good they sound (to me anyway). Everyone is different, but you know you best.

Have FUN playing your guitar (and any other instruments).

Cheers!
Old 11-23-2020, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

I am very old and my "repertoire" is very large, but what I play now is probably only enough for two or three 40 minute sets.

In the past there have been songs that I couldn't get and arrange satisfactorily, and others that fell into my hands (literally).

I'll learn a song because the lyrics (i.e. story) and the melody appeal to me as something I'd like to perform for my audience.
I have no compunction about changing the key, tempo, or even some lyrics or progression to make it suit me.

some numbers - esp. more sophisticated "American songbook" material will have to wait until I'm more grown up (I'm only 72).
Old 11-23-2020, 12:37 PM

Many. Overtime I get them "under my fingers", but otherwise I fixate on the song and don't even like it by the time I know it.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:56 PM

I always have a few I have been working on. Many last a week and they are ready for public consumption. But one or two have lasted years. I keep thinking i'll get them the way I want them and it never seems to happen on those. But it gets close enough that I haven't given up in frustration.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Great post. I usually practice a few new things over the course of the day but spend most of that time working on the troublesome passages.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:57 AM

I think most of us do it the same way... New song....Usually, verse and a chorus until you get the phasing-melody and then the rest of the song
Honestly, the hard part of a song in your set Is the first verse and chorus because you have just sung other songs and it doesn't hurt to ingrain the feel of the song that way by the time your into the next verse your brain has caught up
So yes, I'll end up doing the first verse and chorus of a song a lot more than the rest of it.. While learning a hard one(for me) I will start the song in the middle of a line or start with a chorus in practice..or just sing a verse over and over..I had a hard time with the phrasing/melody of "Let Her Cry" Hootie and the Blowfish....So I would watch the video and try it...until I finally got it

But when I'm tired of a song..or running into a roadblock with it I move on to another song or something I know already... I don't want to end the session on a bad note

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write