The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-27-2020, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco gringo View Post
Interesting. I think I have seen some posts, might have been one of yours, about the TD with the Trance Amulet and also not seeing much improvement on it. I thought it improved mine quite a bit. Kind of pumped to see what 2.0 will do for it.
The demo I did when TD first came out used a Trance. I thought the improvement was very noticeable. Less so than with a lesser pickup, of course, but good enough that I used it for the demo. I didn't get a chance to try the 2.0 version with a Trance.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
The demo I did when TD first came out used a Trance. I thought the improvement was very noticeable. Less so than with a lesser pickup, of course, but good enough that I used it for the demo. I didn't get a chance to try the 2.0 version with a Trance.
Yeah, I think my Trance through the TD is superb. I can't wait to try it with 2.0. It might have been someone else's post that mentioned they thought it didn't do much, or I may just be remembering wrong, entirely possible.

I'm liking the Ultra Tonic I just had installed. The feedback resistance on the Ultra Tonic is impressive. That pickup through the ToneDexter is killing it, too.
Old 12-26-2020, 06:03 PM

Here's a picture of my new setup:

The Shure Beta 56a is a supercardioid dynamic mic used most often in drum kits. I mix it into the K&K signal from my guitar at about 40% mic.

The sound is great. It CAN still feedback, but it's not as near the edge as a condenser and it's easy to dial the mic back even further.

The level of control and precision the Felix offers is quickly addicting.
Old 12-26-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post

The Shure Beta 56a is a supercardioid dynamic mic used most often in drum kits. I mix it into the K&K signal from my guitar at about 40% mic.

The sound is great. It CAN still feedback, but it's not as near the edge as a condenser and it's easy to dial the mic back even further.

Do you think that with a KM184 in a not too loud enviornment I would have too much feedback problems with the Felix?

2005 Martin HD28 with K&K Trinity;
2012 Cordoba C10;
Grace Design Felix 2;
Sennheiser MD441;
DPA 4099 Core;
DPA 4018L;
Bose L1 Compact;
QSC Touchmix 8;
QSC K10.2;
Neumann u87ai;
Neumann KMS105;
Neumann KM184 (matched pair).

http://www.youtube.com/rodrigopandelo
http://www.rodrigopandelo.com
http://www.instagram.com/rodrigopandelo

São Paulo/Brazil
Old 12-26-2020, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANDAPANDELO View Post
Do you think that with a KM184 in a not too loud enviornment I would have too much feedback problems with the Felix?
I don't know, of course, but I suspect that if you're on a stage with monitors (and possibly other musicians) that a KM184 is gonna need some real care. It's a superb mic, but it's pretty sensitive.

If the air and accuracy of a condenser on your guitar is a must, I'd consider a supercardiod polar pattern.

The relatively new DPA 2028 is a hand held supercardioid condenser vocal mic that I've read is very feedback resistant and might mic a guitar quite well.

Good luck!
Old 12-26-2020, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANDAPANDELO View Post
You might check out the Lauten Audio LS-208. Very tight pattern.
Old 12-27-2020, 06:59 AM

Quote:

The next step is a sound booth for you to stand in while playing on-stage. You could add a small window to observe the audience :~).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 12-27-2020, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
The next step is a sound booth for you to stand in while playing on-stage. You could add a small window to observe the audience :~).
Mmm... I love all the wonderful tech of IR's. But I must admit that guys like the crew behind Ear Trumpet also make me happy.
Old 12-27-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:

Hey, congrats, you got the Felix! How is the 56a sounding with it? As I said earlier that is one of the few mics that I haven't tried. Have you tried any effects in the loop yet? One thing to remember is the balanced outs sound a little different than the 1/4" out as the balanced outs have a transformer on them, so try them both to see what you like! Also, even though you may find it easy to setup, make sure to read every bit of the manual as there's a few internal jumpers to learn about and the use of the dip switches.

Do you have any gigs coming up to give it a real world spin?
Old 12-27-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Hey, congrats, you got the Felix! How is the 56a sounding with it? As I said earlier that is one of the few mics that I haven't tried. Have you tried any effects in the loop yet? One thing to remember is the balanced outs sound a little different than the 1/4" out as the balanced outs have a transformer on them, so try them both to see what you like! Also, even though you may find it easy to setup, make sure to read every bit of the manual as there's a few internal jumpers to learn about and the use of the dip switches.

Do you have any gigs coming up to give it a real world spin?
Sigh, I wish. Nothing on the immediate horizon but streaming concerts. C'est la COVID.

Thanks for the tips. I need to read about the internal jumpers.

I thought I'd want at least 2/3 to 3/4 mic signal, but when I audition the setup in my PA, the K&K sounds fantastic, especially as the volume is turned up. So now the mic is just creating three dimensionality at about 1/3 the signal.

I've been comparing the Beta 56a to a Shure SM57 and a Miktek PM5 (the condenser vocal mic in the picture) in this role as "fill".

I actually dislike the condenser. At volume, it brings nothing musical to the table, which is weird because I've gotten so that I dislike dynamic mics on my vocals.

If I use a Cloudlifter on the Beta 56a, I can make it feedback but alone it's pretty resistant. The SM57 can feedback fairly easily on its own.

The sound of the Beta 56a is like an SM57 but more compressed.
Old 12-27-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Sigh, I wish. Nothing on the immediate horizon but streaming concerts. C'est la COVID.

Thanks for the tips. I need to read about the internal jumpers.

I thought I'd want at least 2/3 to 3/4 mic signal, but when I audition the setup in my PA, the K&K sounds fantastic, especially as the volume is turned up. So now the mic is just creating three dimensionality at about 1/3 the signal.

I've been comparing the Beta 56a to a Shure SM57 and a Miktek PM5 (the condenser vocal mic in the picture) in this role as "fill".

I actually dislike the condenser. At volume, it brings nothing musical to the table, which is weird because I've gotten so that I dislike dynamic mics on my vocals.

If I use a Cloudlifter on the Beta 56a, I can make it feedback but alone it's pretty resistant. The SM57 can feedback fairly easily on its own.

The sound of the Beta 56a is like an SM57 but more compressed.
I would steer clear of using the Cloudlifter with the Felix as it has more than enough gain for any dynamic mic. And I own two Cloudlifters so my statement comes from experience.

Have you listened to the different impedance settings for your inputs (both K&K and the mic)? I feel they really change the tone! More than once, I've seen people on this forum buy a Felix or an Alix and decide within a few days that they weren't right for them, calling them thin, or too bright, and I would be willing to bet they didn't realize how improper gain-staging and impedance settings change the tone of these preamps. You really need to feed them the proper signal and have the impedance set optimally. Watch as you hit the inputs harder how the tone changes. As you probably know by now, the red lights on the inputs indicate channel overload. Practice running your input levels right up to where the red lights are starting to flash and listen to the tone as opposed to low levels going in.

One thing not playing at lot of gigs right now may be good for, is to give you time to really learn how to use that Felix!!! These preamps are powerful and putting in the time to learn how everything works on them really pays big dividends! Being able to change the HP filter to a notch filter, having two ranges on the midrange control, and being able to change the center frequency of the LOW control, are all powerful tools. And if you plan to run anything in the loop you really have to learn how to set the send levels with the internal jumpers.

I'm looking forward to hearing your real opinion on the Felix after you put the time in!
Old 12-27-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I actually dislike the condenser. At volume, it brings nothing musical to the table, which is weird because I've gotten so that I dislike dynamic mics on my vocals..
I'm with you, I really haven't heard a dynamic that I like on my voice better than the Beta 87a condenser, dynamics just sound to cloudy to me for my voice.

Last edited by rockabilly69; 12-27-2020 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-21-2021, 04:19 PM

Quote:

Sorry, this is a late response to an older thread, but have you tried the Electro Voice ND96 for your guitar? I haven't tried one but have heard good things; since you're working with these sorts of supercardioid microphones, I was curious if you've experimented with a few different mics.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification