The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-11-2020, 04:35 PM

Lots of great music in this thread!

Granted this is electric and not finger style. It does show that it is possible to capture the vibe of a pop tune in a solo guitar performance:

Old 11-11-2020, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post
Thanks for turning me on to Soren Bodker Madsen. I love fingerstyle guitar on nylon strings. It’s such a deep beautiful sound.
Christian
Old 11-12-2020, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxonbowman View Post
Lots of great music in this thread!

Granted this is electric and not finger style. It does show that it is possible to capture the vibe of a pop tune in a solo guitar performance:

A true master at work. And it's semi-fingerstyle, because he's using some hybrid picking in there.

But the electric guitar does have more sustain than an acoustic would, which is one reason it's a better choice of instrument for an arrangement like this. Then again, you could feed an acoustic through a compressor to get the sustain, while preserving the richer acoustic tone.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Wonderful melodies and passion abound in opera.

A few favorites of mine:
https://youtu.be/-rtnhtGyfWA?t=29
Nooo!! Turn it off, turn it off!! (I thought I'd give the first one a chance, it sounded interesting before they started singing...)

"Wonderful melodies and passion", quite likely, but completely ruined by the ghastly vocal style - the excess vibrato, the plum in the back of the throat... why do they do that?

If I want moving vocal performance, things like this do it for me:

Or this:

I've no idea what they're singing about (aside from "evening gathering"), but it doesn't matter. The translation would almost certainly be disappointingly mundane.

I'm not setting these things up in opposition, or suggesting these are "better" in any way other than personal taste. You may well like these as much as I do.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Nooo!! Turn it off, turn it off!! (I thought I'd give the first one a chance, it sounded interesting before they started singing...)"Wonderful melodies and passion", quite likely, but completely ruined by the ghastly vocal style - the excess vibrato, the plum in the back of the throat... why do they do that?
Sounds like you're right there with Norman.

I've been exposed to all types of music since since a tyke and developed and love and appreciation for virtually all of it. I feel quite fortunate in that way.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-22-2020, 12:42 PM

Is it just me or does the sight of that guitar sitting on the jagged rock make anyone else cringe? It's almost unbearable to look at.
Old 11-22-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhino41 View Post
Is it just me or does the sight of that guitar sitting on the jagged rock make anyone else cringe? It's almost unbearable to look at.
Yeah, an artistic expression, but a cringe worthy one for me as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write