The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-26-2020, 05:09 PM

Default Need some recommendations...

I am looking to REALLY slim down my live setup. I have tried the Bose S1 Pro and just cannot bond with it. I am not really looking for a amp/vocal thing like the Fishman. I do have a QSC K10.2 that I love, but I donÂ’t think I am using it to its full potential. I would like to not use a mixer. I have a Martin with K&K installed and a Fire Eye preamp. I would like to have a little reverb on the acoustic so I thought about looping a Strymon Flint through the Fire Eye for the acoustic. My problem lies with the vocals. I would like to have reverb available for that as well. Vocal preamp? Any suggestions or ideas? I would like to carry the speaker, the guitar, speaker stand/mic stand bag, and then a backpack with everything else. One trip. I am old. Hahaha!
Old 11-26-2020, 07:21 PM

Grace Felix in place of Fire Eye?
Old 11-26-2020, 07:32 PM

If you are happy with the guitar why not just use a mic mechanic and call it good with the S1 Pro?
Old 11-26-2020, 08:50 PM

I have zero experience with vocal preamps. I will check out the mic mechanic.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:21 PM

I don't think they make it anymore, but my Carvin AG300 has everything you need. With 3 inputs, each with independent EQ, reverb and chorus you can dial your guitar and vocals just how you want on separate channels. Two channels have both XLR or 1/4" (with HI Z option). The third channel is XLR only.

On the HI Z setting I can play any of my JJB SBT equipped instruments without needing my RedEye. No pedals required. Dead simple signal chain - instrument to cable to amp. For vocals just mic to cable to amp.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsharris View Post
I am looking to REALLY slim down my live setup. I have tried the Bose S1 Pro and just cannot bond with it. I am not really looking for a amp/vocal thing like the Fishman. I do have a QSC K10.2 that I love, but I donÂ’t think I am using it to its full potential. I would like to not use a mixer. I have a Martin with K&K installed and a Fire Eye preamp. I would like to have a little reverb on the acoustic so I thought about looping a Strymon Flint through the Fire Eye for the acoustic. My problem lies with the vocals. I would like to have reverb available for that as well. Vocal preamp? Any suggestions or ideas? I would like to carry the speaker, the guitar, speaker stand/mic stand bag, and then a backpack with everything else. One trip. I am old. Hahaha!
Hi imsh

Fishman are not the only mics with two inputs choices. And unless you get up to an 8" woofer with a driver, it's going to lack umph if the room needs more over all sound or you are out-of-doors.

Actually a 21st century sensible choice…
QSC builds these light-weight, 1000W (peak), small, powered speakers with two XLR/1/4" inputs, and an 8" or 12" woofer and high frequency driver (which are not strident like the QSC 10").

Both the QSC CP-8" and QSC CP-12" models are awesome as a single speaker guitar/vocal setup. Either is around $400, and extendable to a second unit via XLR cable (if you buy a second one later).

With the QSC option you'd need to provide your own effects & phantom power if needed. They are gutsy, and full sounding.

The 8" weighs 25 pounds, the 12" weighs 36 pounds.

Just a thought…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-26-2020, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

I play solo gigs (restaurants and the like) and use my Fishman Loudbox Artist as my PA (and in most venues my monitor as well). Where I need a separate monitor I simply use an inexpensive Kustom KPM4 mounted on a mic stand (which has a convenient plastic shelf attached for pics, water, my phone, etc.). The Fishman will fill a good sized restaurant with ease. My main gigging guitar is a Martin OO-28 with a K&K pure mini. The amp has plenty of settings so (IMHO) there's no need for a pre-amp. I'm in my 60's and play "oldies" (50's - 80's mostly) and really like that everything fits nicely into the back of my SUV. The Fishman only weight 25 lbs. Hope this helps -- Best of Luck!

Cheers!
Old 11-27-2020, 12:18 AM

Have a look at the Elite Acoustic products. Could solve the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 11-27-2020, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

You say you don't want to use a mixer, then rattle off things you want that mixers do. Get a small mixer. You can get four channels. Or look at the SunnAudio two channel pre, but you'd still need reverb. MOTU and others make audio interfaces that have mixers built in, operated by bluetooth devices.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 11-27-2020, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman68 View Post
Have a look at the Elite Acoustic products. Could solve the problem.
Yep. Beat me to it. Check out the EAE D6-58. Built-in digital mixer with plenty of inputs and effects as needed all in one handy, powerful yet relatively small and lightweight unit. You won't need anything buy your guitar, a mic, stands and the amp.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Yep. Beat me to it. Check out the EAE D6-58. Built-in digital mixer with plenty of inputs and effects as needed all in one handy, powerful yet relatively small and lightweight unit. You won't need anything buy your guitar, a mic, stands and the amp.
Plus 3 on EAE !! The D68mk2 or the d658
I have the d68mk2 and it's small not extremely light but certainly lighter than most pa.
But it is preamp,mixer and speaker all in one
Small package with a stellar sound on vocals
And guitar. For small venues you just need
A mic a few cables and guitar.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsharris View Post
I use a Cube EX. It has 2 dedicated inputs (as well as other inputs...) with reverb and EQ, the guitar channel also has other effects as well. The amp has dual 8" speakers as well as 2" dome tweeters. The reverb and effects are in true stereo and sound great.

This amp is totally gig-worthy, is LOUD if you want it to be, and easy to carry with one hand. It has a built in pole mount socket if you need to stand mount it.

The other hand is free for a guitar case and mic stand. The only other thing between my guitar and the amp is my looper. It doesn't get much simpler than that.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:30 PM

So many awesome options!! I have a lot of research to do! Haha!
Old 11-30-2020, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

I don't understand the aversion to using a Fishman (or compatible) acoustic amp? They're basically a PA you can carry in one hand. Two channels that accept XLR or 1/4" inputs, plenty of EQ ability, feedback reduction and a lot of effects at your fingertips. I use my Fishman Artist for more than 90% of my gigs. If the venue has a house PA, I still run everything into my Artist and line out to the house PA. That way I can control the mix onstage. They are a great tool and there's no need to fuss with lugging mixers, effects pedals and extra cables into the venue.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 11-30-2020, 08:12 AM

don't give up on the S1 yet,, If you use a Loudbox (artist would be perfect) and use the Direct out to the S1, you will have a KILLER live rig that can handle a number of situations easily.

I have the same issue,, S1 pro alone, not really a winner, S1 pro linked off the Loudbox Artist, KILLS!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification