The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-26-2020, 07:48 AM

Default Takamine CTP-2 Auxiliary Input

This is my first time on this forum but I just wanted to share something I discovered with my CTP-2 pre-amps. First off, I have two high end Tak's....a EF-360sc which I replaced the original CT-4B pre-amp with the cool tube and a Tan which had one already built in. I was trying to find a magnetic sound hole type pickup which would "fatten" out the sound against the piezo in the bridge.

It seemed like there was always a "compatibility" issue between the cool tube and the magnetic pickup. If I ran the cool tube by itself it was fine (though it would feedback more the more I turned it up), but if I ran it along side the auxiliary magnetic it made the magnetic pickup sound terrible, very thin and trebly. I tried putting new 12AU7's in but that didn't help.

Anyway, long story short....I ended up removing the tube all together and just using the magnetic sound hole pickup plugged into the CTP-2 pre-amp auxiliary input. It all works....tuner, EQ's, volume switch, etc. I presently have one guitar set up with a passive LR Baggs M1 which sounds very good IMO....picks up the sound board vibrations along with the magnetic pickup. And I also am using a Fishman Neo-Buster humbucker magnetic pickup in the other guitar. This is less expensive pickup but has the built in "feedback buster" which I liked. This has a darker sound as it is just a magnetic pickup. But, it works pretty well if you want a "meatier" tone.

I am not a technical guy and I am sure there is probably another pickup which would be more compatible with the cool tube but I was pleasantly surprised to find the pre-amp works without the tube. Obviously, the volume slider does not do anything on the tube side but i run the magnetic pickup full out on the auxiliary rotary switch and just use the slider switch to control the volume. Pretty cool actually....

I do like the cool tube with just using it alone....I think it works great I just needed a little more "meat and potatoes" in my playing situation.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseallen View Post
This is my first time on this forum but I just wanted to share something I discovered with my CTP-2 pre-amps. First off, I have two high end Tak's....a EF-360sc which I replaced the original CT-4B pre-amp with the cool tube and a Tan which had one already built in. I was trying to find a magnetic sound hole type pickup which would "fatten" out the sound against the piezo in the bridge.

It seemed like there was always a "compatibility" issue between the cool tube and the magnetic pickup. If I ran the cool tube by itself it was fine (though it would feedback more the more I turned it up), but if I ran it along side the auxiliary magnetic it made the magnetic pickup sound terrible, very thin and trebly. I tried putting new 12AU7's in but that didn't help.

Anyway, long story short....I ended up removing the tube all together and just using the magnetic sound hole pickup plugged into the CTP-2 pre-amp auxiliary input. It all works....tuner, EQ's, volume switch, etc. I presently have one guitar set up with a passive LR Baggs M1 which sounds very good IMO....picks up the sound board vibrations along with the magnetic pickup. And I also am using a Fishman Neo-Buster humbucker magnetic pickup in the other guitar. This is less expensive pickup but has the built in "feedback buster" which I liked. This has a darker sound as it is just a magnetic pickup. But, it works pretty well if you want a "meatier" tone.

I am not a technical guy and I am sure there is probably another pickup which would be more compatible with the cool tube but I was pleasantly surprised to find the pre-amp works without the tube. Obviously, the volume slider does not do anything on the tube side but i run the magnetic pickup full out on the auxiliary rotary switch and just use the slider switch to control the volume. Pretty cool actually....

I do like the cool tube with just using it alone....I think it works great I just needed a little more "meat and potatoes" in my playing situation.
I gather you didn't try using the Takamine Tri-Ax2 or earlier version of this magnetic pickup? Wouldn't this magnetic pickup have been the one to try as it's matched to the CoolTube preamp?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 11-26-2020, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I gather you didn't try using the Takamine Tri-Ax2 or earlier version of this magnetic pickup? Wouldn't this magnetic pickup have been the one to try as it's matched to the CoolTube preamp?
Ya, try the Tri-Ax 2 active soundhole pickup. I think they design the preamp with this pickup as reference for aux input.

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 11-26-2020, 05:46 PM

Default Takamine CTP-2 Auxiliary Input

thank you for your replies....to be honest I wasn't aware of the Takamine Tri-Ax2....but i will give it consideration. The passive LR Baggs M1 is the older one. Also have the original LR Baggs pre-amp along with an "ancient" Fishman pre-amp. I occasionally use a Takamine DI Plus pedal which is good for powering the guitars but found that the increased output made the guitars feedback more easily especially when using a capo higher up on the neck. Plus I think the DI plus is wired backwards IMO....I prefer the input to be on the right side of the box, output on left side going to the board.

I just tickled the pre-amp works without the tube....can always put it back.
Old 12-08-2021, 07:08 PM

Exclamation CTP- 3 with Fishman Rare Earth Blend !

Hi everyone.

this is my first post and this topic is super interesting. I'm going to share my idea and what I'm putting together and I would love to hear from you.

Last week my takamime preamp stopped working on a CTN10c, a guitar I really like to play at everyday gigs.

I then decided to tune the guitar: I bought a new CTP-3 preamp, and I also bought a Fishman Rare Earth Blend with Huminbuck and Microphone.

as soon as all the components arrive, i will make the necessary adaptations, in particular convert the jack to rca mono, and plug in the CTP-3 auxiliary input.

I don't know if it will work, but I'm very confident. I'm worried about Fishman being active but it's a small 1.5v battery.

During the process I will record a tutorial to help others with the same idea. but for now, does anyone have any comments to help me or criticize my idea? Thank you very much.

Thank you.
Old 12-11-2021, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

I added a Schatten soundboard transducer to mine. It provides some presence to the tone.
Old 12-11-2021, 04:32 PM

I have a P5DC and added the Takamine transducer to it. The pastor at my church is blown away by the plugged in tone I get. For the record, he is a seasoned guitar player.

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 12-11-2021 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-11-2021, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I have a P5DC and added the Takamine transducer to it. The pastor at my church is blown away by the plugged in tone I get. For the record, he is a seasoned guitar player.
I did the same with my P7DC. It sounds great.

Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification