The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-02-2020, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.bowman View Post
Yes. I listened through my ADAM studio monitors, as well as my home stereo system.
I agree that it doesn't sound terrible as far as sounds go, but it does not sound like an acoustic guitar in its natural state. At least to my ears it doesn't.
Yep, I agree, listening over my Barefoots. Not a sound I'd want to have. But I don't think it's the Grace's fault, and I can imagine some people would like that sound. Punchy and direct. But very UST/pickup-sounding. Maybe ok in a band setting. But I don't think I'd be able to play with this sound, it'd throw me off.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:25 PM

I have a K&K Pure Mini going into the new Source Audio Programmable EQ2. It has a 1meg ohm input and Fully parametric EQ with 80hz low cut - Best sound I've ever gotten out of a K&K. I then run directly into Pro Tools for fine tuning using my Audeze headphones ( calibrated with Sonarworks plugin). Then I use Fab Filter Pro Q3 to absolutely nail the sound I want before dialing those settings into the EQ2. (all nails fingerstyle)

After the EQ2 I'm running into an Xotic SP compressor (barely engaged) before hitting the TC Electronic Flashback mini delay - then into the Hall of Fame 2 reverb then dual mono out

Looking forward to utilizing the 2nd channel of the EQ2 to run an OC3 Octave Pedal
Old 12-03-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.bowman View Post
Just wanted to return to this thread and say that the Grace Design Bix arrived yesterday, and it is impressive. Very clean, and really doesn't take any tweaking to get what i am after.
My only regret is that I didn't do more research before buying and installing the Baggs Anthem SL. Not that it doesn't sound very good, but I feel I could do better for this particular guitar. Still looking and learning to find the perfect match. I will just put the Anthem into something else when I do make a choice.
Very pleased with the Bix. Sounds great for guitar, and will be useful for other instruments that I play. The Felix and Alix look great as well, but I told myself that I am keeping my board small, and simple. (Wont be the first time that Ive lied to myself about music gear! I will probably get a Felix before it is over with. lol)
Thanks to all that replied, and gave info.
Congrats on your purchase. The Bix is a great pre I'm sure. I bought the felix because
At the time I needed a two ch pre. Mandolin
And guitar in my band. Now I have a helix stomp and have no need for the second chan. But it's nice to have that mic pre for
other things.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
I'm using old technology, a Fishman ToneDEQ. And I use it with their Fishman Blackstack sound hole pickup. I've been using the Blackstack a couple years and prefer it to the Sunrise(s) I'd used for years.

What appeals to me about the ToneDEQ is the natural sound with it's analog circuits. Excellent reverb and it's a floor unit which I find easier to use on stage.
Plus 1 for the ToneDEQ, i love the sound i get from this unit.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:49 PM

Mesa Boogie Rosette DI
Old 12-05-2020, 05:47 AM

Grace Felix, simply the best preamp!

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 12-05-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
I'm using old technology, a Fishman ToneDEQ. And I use it with their Fishman Blackstack sound hole pickup. I've been using the Blackstack a couple years and prefer it to the Sunrise(s) I'd used for years.

What appeals to me about the ToneDEQ is the natural sound with it's analog circuits. Excellent reverb and it's a floor unit which I find easier to use on stage.
I use the ToneDEQ with my K&K equipped guitars & like it a lot. I like the compressor & clean modest effects. Low cut filter & boost are great, too. The 3-band eq is enough for me (along with the variable low cut filter). I started using the ToneDEQ with my old Fishman Dual Parametric D.I. box but ultimately dropped it from the chain & haven't really missed it thus far.

I do use a Polytune3 pedal in front of it for the buffer as well as the tune/mute switch. The buffer handles any possible impedance mis-matches (with the K&K pickup) & the mute function eliminates that need on the ToneDEQ.

So that's it for me. K&K to Polytune3 to ToneDEQ which gives me separate feeds to the board + an amp for a monitor.

Frank
Old 12-05-2020, 12:11 PM

The input on my Loud Box Mini is 1 meg. I plug into that. I have Fire Eye on hand.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 12-09-2020, 11:05 PM

My setup for the past year and a half has been running Anthem SL's through a Venue DI. I have been happy with the sound I have had until I pulled out my K&K Pure preamp. Not the pure xlr but the most basic unit K&K offers. Has just gain, volume, low, mid and high. I plugged my Taylor 314 with anthem sl into it and was blown away at the clarity and fidelity I heard. It was as if a blanket had been lifted off my sound and everything was clean and clear. I had to do no eq adjustments at all and it sounded amazing. The mic in the anthem came to life in a way I have not heard in the anthem system before. The only problem was I needed a DI out to the main mixer, so I decided to try placing the Pure preamp in front of the Venue DI. I used the preamp in the K&K to push the venue and did not turn the gain up very high on the venue. Basically I was just using the Venue for the notch filter and mute switch. I did use the two semi parametric mid controls to notch slightly some mid frequencies that I did not need but that is it. These two preamps work marvelous together and I could not be more happy. Now I still want to try out the Grace Design Bix preamp but for right now I am pretty happy. Has anyone else tried running the K&K Pure preamp into a LR Baggs Venue? BTW this worked with my Taylor and my Martin. Both have Anthem Sl's.

Gibson J-15 Walnut Burst

PRS Custom 24 S2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification