The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-14-2024, 02:59 PM

Default Saint Stephen (Grateful Dead) Solo Acoustic Rough Demo

This is a take on the old Grateful Dead classic. My son and I are working up a version in which he plays most of the lead guitar stuff, but I thought it was kind of cool-sounding as a solo piece, and I have been working on this for several weeks (which I usually don't do at all, lol). The tune was ready to burst out of me, so I thought I should document it before we record the fuller version in a few weeks (he is staying with his mom for a little while). I figured a few old Heads on here might enjoy this, so I present my cornpone take on a classic Dead tune: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQu7CXwqYHM

Thanks, Tim.
Old 06-14-2024, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

I loved that Tim!

You have a wonderful touch to your flatpicking, and a great voice!

You coax a great sound from that guitar. Is it an FG830?

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 06-14-2024, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

I’ve never even THOUGHT about playing that song Tim. And when I saw the thread I was thinking your vocal style would be a really tough fit for this tune. But man was I wrong! You adapted your vocals and they’re PERECT here. Nice guitar playing too, as usual. Really fine job all around…

-Ray
Old 06-14-2024, 07:57 PM

This one came out great. Here’s to a little practice. Can’t wait to see the one with Jack. Vocals and playing were just so right on with this Tim. Loved it.

I think I mentioned I saw three shows in Vegas last week and one of them included Saint Stephen, which is one of my favorites. So nice to be back home and see your version.

bowerman custom OM 28 style 2019
breedlove 000-M deluxe revival 2009 (JB)
breedlove OM/AR deluxe (2) 2010
breedlove D/SM american revival 2010 (JB)
breedlove OM/SMYe oregon series 2013
breedlove D/SMYe oregon series 2013
yamaha ls 11 spruce hog mit 1986
yamaha fg 152 spruce hog mij 1976
yamaha fg 110 spruce agathis (tan) mit 1971

Last edited by started with 1; 06-15-2024 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-14-2024, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
I loved that Tim!

You have a wonderful touch to your flatpicking, and a great voice!

You coax a great sound from that guitar. Is it an FG830?
Hey, thank you, Robin. I appreciate the kindness and encouragement.

Yes, sir, that is my FG830. It's my favorite guitar--surprisingly.
Old 06-14-2024, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I’ve never even THOUGHT about playing that song Tim. And when I saw the thread I was thinking your vocal style would be a really tough fit for this tune. But man was I wrong! You adapted your vocals and they’re PERECT here. Nice guitar playing too, as usual. Really fine job all around…

-Ray
Ray, thanks for the comment. I always appreciate and value your feedback, my friend. As far as my approach to the vocals, I imagined how it would sound if The Band covered it. I tried to keep the guitar stuff pretty reserved. This is ultimately going to be a showcase for my son's ever expanding guitar skills--Tim.
Old 06-14-2024, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by started with 1 View Post
This one came out great. Here’s to a little practice. Can’t wait to see the one with Jack. Vocals and playing we’re just so right on with this Tim. Loved it.

I think I mentioned I saw three shows in Vegas last week and one of them included Saint Stephen, which is one of my favorites. So nice to be back home and see your version.
Joe, thank you for the comment, man. I wasn't sure if my take on this would work, so your feedback (and everyone else here) is important to me.

I am super excited to get down a version of this with Jack. He's staying with his mom for a few weeks. And, yes, we have been practicing this one a bit, lol.

I have heard good things about the Sphere. I hope you guys had a good time. I am glad my little hillbilly take on this epic tune came out okay.--Tim
Old 06-15-2024, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Very nice job on this Tim! I think Jack will add a lot to your performance but that works as a solo piece just fine. I enjoyed that!

- Glenn
Old 06-15-2024, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

Very nice job on this Tim! I think Jack will add a lot to your performance but that works as a solo piece just fine. I enjoyed that!

- Glenn
Hey, Glenn. Thank you as always.

I really recorded this to give Jack something to practice to while he's at his mom's. Once I got a decent version, I thought it sounded all right, so I put it up on YouTube and have shared it here and a couple places on Reddit. The recording with Jack will be meant to showcase his growing skills as a guitarist, arranger, and musician overall.

A friend of mine on YouTube who is a fine, fine musician watched my other videos with Jack and said, "You better watch out. Jack is gonna steal the spotlight." I replied, "Nothing in this world would make me happier."

Anyway, I appreciate your friendship and encouragement, and it's really an honor to know you and some of the other great people on this site. Honestly, every single person who posts or comments on this particular sub is great, and that is rare--Tim.
Old 06-18-2024, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Tim, I was really curious about how you would pull this off, and compliment you on the arrangement and performance. Well done!

https://on.soundcloud.com/ZaWP
Old 06-18-2024, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Tim, I was really curious about how you would pull this off, and compliment you on the arrangement and performance. Well done!
Oh, gosh, man, thank you so much. The arrangement is a collaboration between me and my son, and he is the technical one, whereas I am all feel. As far as the performance, that was me trying not to go into outer space, lol.

I appreciate you checking it out and offering some feedback--Tim.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell