The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-17-2024, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Another great cover Glenn. Nice playing and singing, very interesting song that I was not aware of, thanks for sharing your talents.
Thank you Joe,

Much appreciated!

When I decided to cover this song, I pretty much knew that few players would know this song because the "One Deep River" Mark Knopfler CD is so new. I still wanted to do the song and I'm grateful that my friends at the AGF are giving me their kind feedback in spite of a song they don't even know. It's nice.

I hope all is well for you, Joe.

- Glenn
Old 06-18-2024, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

"Tunnel 13" is a song from Mark Knopfler's latest 2024 CD "One Deep River," so it's a very recent release. The song struck me because I was well aware of custom, luthier-built guitars using Tunnel 13 redwood tops. Tunnel 13 is an old railroad tunnel in the Siskiyou Mountains of northern California, also the site of a tragic train robbery in 1923 in which four Southern Pacific Railroad workers were gunned down and killed.

Tunnel 13 redwood for guitars is the result of a 2004 fire in the tunnel where many of the original old growth redwood beams in the tunnel had to be replaced. Some of those burned and damaged beams are still usable for guitar tops. Apparently, Mark Knopfler has one of those custom guitars with a Tunnel 13 redwood top and became interested in the story behind the Tunnel 13 train robbery.

I did put up chord diagrams and the song lyrics for those interested in how the song is played. I hope you like my cover of this song. Thank you for listening.

- Glenn
Stream of random consciousness….your stuff & this is no different, always so well thought out, the story, the chords, the lyrics, the gear used, the playing, etc. Really well done, totally aware of how much detail goes into to doing this!

Okay...let's not forget your acoustic instruments, wow!
Hey, what's the vocal mic we always see hanging down?
Old 06-18-2024, 04:38 AM
Charter Member

Very nice track Glenn - well done.

I liked the addition of pads and harmonies and there is considerable skill involved in mixing all of that together in such an accomplished fashion to get such a good result.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 06-18-2024, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo00 View Post
I knew that 6 string Electric looked familiar from a glance. EART's are good instruments without mods out of the box. Excellent value with the stainless steel frets.
Hi Jimbo,

Thanks for watching and for your thoughts. I agree, the EART electric guitars are really decent for a very modest cost. But once I put those Fender Fat 50 pickups in there, I suddenly loved this guitar. I also appreciate the baked body and neck because this Strat-type EART guitar is quite a bit lighter than any other electric guitar I have. At my age, I really notice that.

Be well and thanks for your comments!

- Glenn
Old 06-18-2024, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondoslug View Post
Stream of random consciousness….your stuff & this is no different, always so well thought out, the story, the chords, the lyrics, the gear used, the playing, etc. Really well done, totally aware of how much detail goes into to doing this!

Okay...let's not forget your acoustic instruments, wow!
Hey, what's the vocal mic we always see hanging down?
Hi Mondoslug!

Man, what a great forum name!

Thank you for your encouragement and kind words. After hearing your latest "Mean to Me" recording I'm particularly humbled by your kind words. Man, that recording was so well done!

Regarding the acoustic instruments used on this "Tunnel 13" recording, I used my 1995 Olson SJ (cedar top/EIR back and sides). I did try to feature that guitar in the video because it is so nice, so rich and mellow in sound. It really is my favorite guitar and I have a few nice acoustic guitars to compare it to.

The large silver vocal microphone hanging down is a Warm Audio WA-47, a large diaphragm, tube condenser mic. Also, for the guitar I am using a pair of Warm Audio WA-84 small diaphragm condenser mics. Each of these mics goes through a Warm Audio WA273 Neve-type mic preamp and I use a Steinberg UR44 interface into my computer where I use Cubase Pro for my recording program in my Dell computer.

I have been doing some recent videos where I have used not just acoustic but also electric guitars. However, I am working right now on a video using just my old, 1967 Martin D-35. So I do realize I need to go back just to the acoustic guitar once in a while. But all this multi-tracking stuff is so much fun!

Thanks so much for your generous feedback!

- Glenn
Old 06-18-2024, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

Hi Glenn,

This is very well done. Great sound, professional studio quality for sure. And always a great performance

https://on.soundcloud.com/ZaWP
Old 06-18-2024, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coler View Post
Very nice track Glenn - well done.

I liked the addition of pads and harmonies and there is considerable skill involved in mixing all of that together in such an accomplished fashion to get such a good result.
Hi Coler,

Thank you for watching and for your kind comments!

It does take some practice over the years to get a feel for how to mix a mulit-track recording like this, so thank you for noticing. Regarding the harmony I sang on the bridge section of the song, Mark Knopfler did not use any harmony on this song anywhere. But I was working towards having my grandson and grand daughter doing this song with me, so I thought it would be fun to add that harmony on the bridge. As it turned out, both my grandson and grand daughter were just too busy to help me because they are both graduating right now, one from high school and one from college. So I finally abandoned that idea but I had already sung and recorded the harmony so I left it in. I, too, thought that worked out okay, so again, thank you for noticing.

I hope all is well for you, Coler. Thanks for taking time to comment -- much appreciated!

- Glenn
Old 06-19-2024, 05:10 AM
Charter Member

That's amazing Glen. Its sounds wonderful and must have taken hours and hours of work (not to mention talent!) to build such a full sounding arrangement. You are really creative.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 06-19-2024, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Hi Glenn,

This is very well done. Great sound, professional studio quality for sure. And always a great performance
Thank you Bob,

I don't know if you remember that I mentioned I was working on this song when you commented on my last Mark Knopfler cover and you asked if I had heard MK's latest "One Deep River" CD.

Thanks for taking time to listen and comment here on this cover. I'm so pleased that you thought this came out well.

And I hope all is well for you and your family.

- Glenn
Old 06-19-2024, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
That's amazing Glen. Its sounds wonderful and must have taken hours and hours of work (not to mention talent!) to build such a full sounding arrangement. You are really creative.
Thank you Robin,

I appreciate your taking time to watch and I appreciate your comments here.

I have the advantage of being retired and really, for the first time in my life, I have all the time I could ask for doing music. So, yes, a multi-track recording and a mulit-track video do take time to put together and manage, but I simply don't pay attention to whatever time is needed. To me, it's all delightful; it makes me feel good; I get to work on something I have wanted to do all my life.

I only wish that I had learned some of the things I've been learning lately much earlier in my life. But, earlier in my life I was working hard at a job and holding a family together, and so then, I had no time to learn all these new things.

Kind of too bad for a person to get to the end of his life and only then get to learn all the things about music that he never had time to learn before.

You were probably not looking for any philosophy here. So, in a change of course, thank you so much for the kind words and for taking time yourself to listen to my endeavor. (or is endeavour? )

I hope all is well for you, Robin. You take care,

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell