The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-15-2024, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
You might enjoy Siskiyou Line by L.J. Booth as well. He wrote this about 15 years ago and owns one of the Petros Tunnel 13 guitars.

Had a great night at one of his shows with wife Chris Kokesh about 10 years ago. We had a couple beers around the campfire afterward and talked music, guitars and life.

Interesting guy.

Thanks for your recommendation, Todd. That's a well done song; I enjoyed it. I was not familiar with this, so it was an interesting listen.

Regarding the history of Tunnel 13, this is a pretty good summary of the robbery gone wrong: https://www.oregonencyclopedia.org/a...-at-tunnel-13/

Thanks,
Glenn
Old 06-15-2024, 08:27 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Very cool! Excellent production (as always), but what an interesting song from Knopfler... the tie back to the redwood in his guitar... man, oh man, he is quite the writer.

Another amazing work, Glenn. Well done, indeed!
...any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.
Old 06-15-2024, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rule18 View Post
Nicely done Glenn, I wasn't aware of that MK tune. I own a bit of that wood (my Hatcher) so I was aware of the story. Thanks as always for posting up your latest works!
Hi Craig,

Thank you for taking the time to listen and comment here -- much appreciated!

And how wonderful that you actually have a Hatcher guitar with a Tunnel 13 redwood top.

I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
Old 06-15-2024, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Another great job Glenn. Itís a song I didnít know, but feel like I sort of do now. I was always more into Knopfler as the guitar slinger than the writer / singer type - the first two Dire Straits albums are kind of my ideal guitar albums. But I like his less guitar-centric stuff also, and you do a really nice job with it, as you do with pretty much everything you take onÖ

-Ray
Old 06-15-2024, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryjoh814 View Post
Really nice to hear such a new tune done well. I have noticed that song on my Pandora feed when riding the recumbent bike in the garage.
That chord structure is SO Mark K. Nice distortion added!
Thank you Larry! I'm glad you felt this came across reasonably well! And yes, I agree, that chord structure is very Mark Knopfler. I thought the change from Bm to C# was quite unusual but it really worked well on this song to set a somewhat dark mood.

I hope all is well for you. Take care!

- Glenn
Old 06-15-2024, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
Nice job, Glenn. I enjoy MK’s story songs. I had heard the story of tunnel 13, but had not heard this tribute to it. I enjoy history, especially as told in songs.

Hope all is well with you and your family, Glenn.

Roger
Hi Roger,

It's great to hear from you. I hope all is well for you. Thanks for taking time to watch and comment; it's most appreciated.

Speaking of the history of this song, I knew about Tunnel 13 in the Siskiyou Mountains back when my wife and I drove through there in the midst of a November storm in 2002. I had to get down to Arcata, CA to investigate some equipment issues and it seemed as if it was easiest to drive there rather than figure out an airplane flight and rental car. Also, I had analytical equipment to take with me, so driving made sense. And that gave me an excuse to take my wife with me so we could see Redwood National Park. The trip through the Siskiyou Mountains in that storm, though, was fairly harrowing.

Thanks again, Roger. We are doing okay, just getting older.

- Glenn
Old 06-15-2024, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Good performance Glenn!
Barry

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral}:

Classical playlist

Celtic covers

Cordoba C5, Fusion 12, C12, Stage Traditional

Avalon L32, Martin D16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW
Old 06-16-2024, 07:21 AM

Very nice, Glenn.

D.H.
Old 06-16-2024, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by started with 1 View Post
Nice one, Glenn. I love MKís storytelling. And you captured it. The guitar sounds great and interesting story about the redwood.
Thank you Joe!

I appreciate your listening and taking time to comment very much! I'm glad you felt this cover came out okay.

I hope all is well for you and your family.

- Glenn
Old 06-16-2024, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
Very cool! Excellent production (as always), but what an interesting song from Knopfler... the tie back to the redwood in his guitar... man, oh man, he is quite the writer.

Another amazing work, Glenn. Well done, indeed!
Hi GITM,

Thank you for taking time to listen and offer your support here. Much appreciated.

I agree, I thought this song was super interesting, too. And I appreciated that Mark Knopfler told the story of the human loss as a result of the stupidness of this intended robbery that just turned into a fiasco of brutality. There is a great deal of good information online about this attempted train robbery that adds a lot more to understanding of what happened. Having been an engineer most of my life, I have thought that if I had lived in those days, I could have been operating that steam engine. The victims of this tragedy were just men trying to provide for their families and do a job.

It was a good music project. I enjoyed all aspects of it. I'm glad you felt that this worked out okay.

Hope all is well...

- Glenn
Old 06-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Another great job Glenn. Itís a song I didnít know, but feel like I sort of do now. I was always more into Knopfler as the guitar slinger than the writer / singer type - the first two Dire Straits albums are kind of my ideal guitar albums. But I like his less guitar-centric stuff also, and you do a really nice job with it, as you do with pretty much everything you take onÖ

-Ray
Thank you Ray,

Much appreciated!

I have all of the Dire Straits CDs and all of Mark Knopfler's solo stuff. I just really like everything that Mark Knopfler does. I particularly value his wonderful sense of melody in how he plays the guitar. And it turns out, he is a good guy, too.

Hope all is well for you and your family, Ray! Happy Father's Day!

- Glenn
Old 06-17-2024, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Good performance Glenn!
Thank you Barry!

Thank you for listening! I hope things are well for you.

- Glenn
Old 06-17-2024, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Another great cover Glenn. Nice playing and singing, very interesting song that I was not aware of, thanks for sharing your talents.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 06-17-2024, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hicks View Post
Very nice, Glenn.

D.H.
Thank you Dave,

Much appreciated! Thank you for listening; I hope you are well these days.

- Glenn
Old 06-17-2024, 03:57 PM

I knew that 6 string Electric looked familiar from a glance. EART's are good instruments without mods out of the box. Excellent value with the stainless steel frets.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell