The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-13-2024, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Default "Tunnel 13" by Mark Knopfler (cover)

"Tunnel 13" is a song from Mark Knopfler's latest 2024 CD "One Deep River," so it's a very recent release. The song struck me because I was well aware of custom, luthier-built guitars using Tunnel 13 redwood tops. Tunnel 13 is an old railroad tunnel in the Siskiyou Mountains of northern California, also the site of a tragic train robbery in 1923 in which four Southern Pacific Railroad workers were gunned down and killed.

Tunnel 13 redwood for guitars is the result of a 2004 fire in the tunnel where many of the original old growth redwood beams in the tunnel had to be replaced. Some of those burned and damaged beams are still usable for guitar tops. Apparently, Mark Knopfler has one of those custom guitars with a Tunnel 13 redwood top and became interested in the story behind the Tunnel 13 train robbery.

I did put up chord diagrams and the song lyrics for those interested in how the song is played. I hope you like my cover of this song. Thank you for listening.

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 06-13-2024 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-13-2024, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Love this! Another great story telling song from Mark. And thanks for the background info on the story, I wasn't aware of that. Your style suits those songs so well.
Old 06-13-2024, 10:34 AM

One of your very best, Glenn!! What a full production sound.....great lyrics and a true story too!

As you may know, I love Redwood, so I've followed the Tunnel 13 (and 14) story right alongside the Carter Lucky Strike story for some years now.

Congrats on another beauty, Glenn!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 06-13-2024, 10:55 AM
Musical minimalist

You might enjoy Siskiyou Line by L.J. Booth as well. He wrote this about 15 years ago and owns one of the Petros Tunnel 13 guitars.

Had a great night at one of his shows with wife Chris Kokesh about 10 years ago. We had a couple beers around the campfire afterward and talked music, guitars and life.

Interesting guy.

Old 06-13-2024, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Nicely done Glenn, I wasn't aware of that MK tune. I own a bit of that wood (my Hatcher) so I was aware of the story. Thanks as always for posting up your latest works!
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 06-13-2024, 12:40 PM

Really nice to hear such a new tune done well. I have noticed that song on my Pandora feed when riding the recumbent bike in the garage.
That chord structure is SO Mark K. Nice distortion added!
Old 06-13-2024, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
You might enjoy Siskiyou Line by L.J. Booth as well. He wrote this about 15 years ago and owns one of the Petros Tunnel 13 guitars.

Had a great night at one of his shows with wife Chris Kokesh about 10 years ago. We had a couple beers around the campfire afterward and talked music, guitars and life.

Interesting guy.

Thanks Todd! Great to revisit this song once again.....can it be 15 years??????
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 06-13-2024, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkycat View Post
Love this! Another great story telling song from Mark. And thanks for the background info on the story, I wasn't aware of that. Your style suits those songs so well.
Thank you Honkycat!

I'm glad you thought this came out well. Mark Knopfler really is quite a story teller.

Mark Knofpler sang this down in the vocal range of a bass, so it was a little low for me as he pitched it. I debated about raising the song up -- my wife thought I should raise it up two whole tones higher, with a capo up on the 4th fret -- but I decided that most MK fans would prefer to hear this where he sang it.

Here is the Mark Knopfler version:

- Glenn
Old 06-13-2024, 05:05 PM

It sounds great, Glenn. I really dig your electric playing on this one. What is that guitar, if you don't mind sharing? And I thought your vocal style was perfect for the song. You are really on a Knopfler kick, and that is a very good thing, lol. Best wishes--Tim.
Old 06-13-2024, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroad Bum View Post
It sounds great, Glenn. I really dig your electric playing on this one. What is that guitar, if you don't mind sharing? And I thought your vocal style was perfect for the song. You are really on a Knopfler kick, and that is a very good thing, lol. Best wishes--Tim.
Hi Tim,

Thanks for watching and for your kind words.

Regarding the electric guitar I used, I discuss that guitar here on this previous AGF thread: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=676483

It is an Eart guitar that I bought from Amazon.com for a little less than $250. I then polished it up to give the finish a little more shine, bought a nice white, Strat pickguard, and then put in 3 Fender Custom Shop Fat 50s pickups that I had sitting around that I was feeling guilty about never using. I bought those pickups on a special sale, thinking I'd put them in my old 90s era Fender Strat Plus, but I never made the change. Those pickups are now in my Eart Strat-type guitar and they sound really good.

So, this is a fairly inexpensive guitar with a baked body and neck and stainless steel frets with a really nice set of Fender Fat 50s pickups in it and it sounds great. I think it looks good, too.

I'm glad you enjoyed this! I did, too! I hope all is well there, Tim!

- Glenn
Old 06-13-2024, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroad Bum View Post
Hi Tim,

After eating dinner with my wife and thinking about my response to you, I realize that I have more to add on that electric guitar.

A great deal of what makes an electric guitar sound good is the guitar amplifier. In my case, I am not using an amplifier at all in this recording. I do have an amp, a very nice Fender Blues DeVille 410, but I hardly ever use it for recording anymore. Instead, I go direct into my interface box into my computer recording system, in my case Steinberg Cubase, and then I use Guitar Rig 7 to get the amplified guitar sounds. So all the electric guitar sounds and also the bass guitar use Guitar Rig 7. It's on sale right now for half price, $99.50. This link has some recent discussion of Guitar Rig 7, also.

I hope this information is helpful.

- Glenn
Old 06-14-2024, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Tim,

After eating dinner with my wife and thinking about my response to you, I realize that I have more to add on that electric guitar.

A great deal of what makes an electric guitar sound good is the guitar amplifier. In my case, I am not using an amplifier at all in this recording. I do have an amp, a very nice Fender Blues DeVille 410, but I hardly ever use it for recording anymore. Instead, I go direct into my interface box into my computer recording system, in my case Steinberg Cubase, and then I use Guitar Rig 7 to get the amplified guitar sounds. So all the electric guitar sounds and also the bass guitar use Guitar Rig 7. It's on sale right now for half price, $99.50. This link has some recent discussion of Guitar Rig 7, also.

I hope this information is helpful.

- Glenn
Glenn, you are the best, dude. I thought that guitar was some cheapie that you had modded, but I couldn't remember exactly. It looks and sounds incredible.

And I appreciate the tip on Guitar Rig 7. I will pass that onto my son.

Incidentally, I recently upgraded the nut and tuners on his Squier Strat, and he loves it. I installed a self-lubricating graphite nut and Fender locking tuners, and his Squier is now playing as good as any expensive Fender I have ever come across. He's staying with his mom at the coast for a few weeks, and then he's coming back to go to band camp for another week. He's talking seriously about pursuing music education as a career, and I think that's great. We are also going to work on some more videos of us playing together. I don't think I have had more fun than making music with my son, especially since his skill level has skyrocketed in the last year or so.

Thanks for the double rainbow (LOL) response, my friend. Best wishes as always--Tim.
Old 06-14-2024, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
One of your very best, Glenn!! What a full production sound.....great lyrics and a true story too!

As you may know, I love Redwood, so I've followed the Tunnel 13 (and 14) story right alongside the Carter Lucky Strike story for some years now.

Congrats on another beauty, Glenn!
Thank you Fred,

I greatly appreciate your taking time to listen and comment. I'm really pleased that you felt this cover came across well. It was a fun project for me.

I have never had the opportunity to play a guitar with a redwood top, let alone a Tunnel 13 (or 14) redwood top. I would love to have the experience.

I hope all is well for you, Fred!

- Glenn
Old 06-14-2024, 12:59 PM

Nice job, Glenn. I enjoy MKs story songs. I had heard the story of tunnel 13, but had not heard this tribute to it. I enjoy history, especially as told in songs.

Hope all is well with you and your family, Glenn.

Roger
Old 06-14-2024, 08:06 PM

Nice one, Glenn. I love MKs storytelling. And you captured it. The guitar sounds great and interesting story about the redwood.

bowerman custom OM 28 style 2019
breedlove 000-M deluxe revival 2009 (JB)
breedlove OM/AR deluxe (2) 2010
breedlove D/SM american revival 2010 (JB)
breedlove OM/SMYe oregon series 2013
breedlove D/SMYe oregon series 2013
yamaha ls 11 spruce hog mit 1986
yamaha fg 152 spruce hog mij 1976
yamaha fg 110 spruce agathis (tan) mit 1971

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell