The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #61  
Old 08-20-2021, 04:52 AM
raysachs's Avatar
raysachs raysachs is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Eugene, OR & Wilmington, NC
Posts: 4,948
Default

Thanks Glenn, Bob, and Mr. Paul. Iím not terribly impressed with my version, but just happy to get a somewhat clean recording of this song. There are about a half dozen places where the vocal has really tripped me up in the past and one or two of them would screw me up every time through it. And itís full of Bm chords that have given me fits in the past too - Iíd usually manage to blow that transition a time or two each time through as well. Iím sure Iíll keep playing it and if I ever manage a better version, maybe Iíll update the fileÖ

-Ray
__________________
"It's just honest human stuff that hadn't been near a dang metronome in its life" - Benmont Tench
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 08-20-2021, 01:19 PM
raysachs's Avatar
raysachs raysachs is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Eugene, OR & Wilmington, NC
Posts: 4,948
Default

After doing that fairly difficult Lost in the Flood last night, I was still in a Bruce mood this morning. This is one of the easiest songs to play, IF you can keep from breaking down while playing it - I find it incredibly emotional and sad and have had a hard time getting through it at times. But anyway, I liked it enough to share. And now I'm gonna go away from this thread - I've put up way too much stuff here already.



-Ray
__________________
"It's just honest human stuff that hadn't been near a dang metronome in its life" - Benmont Tench

Last edited by raysachs; 06-14-2024 at 05:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 08-21-2021, 03:31 AM
guitarchie guitarchie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 217
Default the river

hi folks,

it could be that my old eyes didn't remark it, but I missed that wonderful song, which reminds me so strong on my youth.
https://soundcloud.com/guitarchie-1/.../s-nAWPq7Yxvw8
hope you'll enjoy

all the best

guitarchie
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 08-21-2021, 08:00 AM
raysachs's Avatar
raysachs raysachs is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Eugene, OR & Wilmington, NC
Posts: 4,948
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarchie View Post
hi folks,

it could be that my old eyes didn't remark it, but I missed that wonderful song, which reminds me so strong on my youth.
https://soundcloud.com/guitarchie-1/.../s-nAWPq7Yxvw8
hope you'll enjoy

all the best

guitarchie
Nice! The picking kind of gives it almost an Irish feel, and it really fits. Wouldn't have thought of that...

-Ray
__________________
"It's just honest human stuff that hadn't been near a dang metronome in its life" - Benmont Tench
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 08-22-2021, 06:52 PM
reeve21 reeve21 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Central Connecticut, USA
Posts: 5,702
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
After doing that fairly difficult Lost in the Flood last night, I was still in a Bruce mood this morning. This is one of the easiest songs to play, IF you can keep from breaking down while playing it - I find it incredibly emotional and sad and have had a hard time getting through it at times. But anyway, I liked it enough to share. And now I'm gonna go away from this thread - I've put up way too much stuff here already.

-Ray

Very tasty playing on this one, Ray! Donít stop, it inspires others to learn new songs!
__________________
Bob

https://on.soundcloud.com/ZaWP
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 08-22-2021, 06:54 PM
reeve21 reeve21 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Central Connecticut, USA
Posts: 5,702
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarchie View Post
hi folks,

it could be that my old eyes didn't remark it, but I missed that wonderful song, which reminds me so strong on my youth.
https://soundcloud.com/guitarchie-1/.../s-nAWPq7Yxvw8
hope you'll enjoy

all the best

guitarchie
Nice picking, guitararchie! What an iconic song, it marked a turning point for Bruce in my mind. Glad to have your contribution!
__________________
Bob

https://on.soundcloud.com/ZaWP
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 09-21-2022, 07:57 PM
reeve21 reeve21 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Central Connecticut, USA
Posts: 5,702
Default

Resurrecting this thread because I couldnít get this song out of my mind for some reason today. So I learned it. I recorded it. Then I looked at my SoundCloud and saw that I learned it and recorded it a couple of years ago and I like that version better, at least the guitar part. Iíll never get used to the guy whoís ďsingingĒ on my recordings :-) I donít think Iíve posted it before but if so please forgive me. Hope this inspires some more Bruce covers.

__________________
Bob

https://on.soundcloud.com/ZaWP
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 09-22-2022, 05:12 PM
Glennwillow Glennwillow is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Coastal Washington State
Posts: 45,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Resurrecting this thread because I couldnít get this song out of my mind for some reason today. So I learned it. I recorded it. Then I looked at my SoundCloud and saw that I learned it and recorded it a couple of years ago and I like that version better, at least the guitar part. Iíll never get used to the guy whoís ďsingingĒ on my recordings :-) I donít think Iíve posted it before but if so please forgive me. Hope this inspires some more Bruce covers.

Cool! Nice job Bob!

Bruce has written some very singable and playable songs!

- Glenn
__________________
My You Tube Channel
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 09-22-2022, 09:02 PM
reeve21 reeve21 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Central Connecticut, USA
Posts: 5,702
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Cool! Nice job Bob!

Bruce has written some very singable and playable songs!

- Glenn
Thanks, Glenn! He is also a very good guitar player
__________________
Bob

https://on.soundcloud.com/ZaWP
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 09-23-2022, 05:37 PM
raysachs's Avatar
raysachs raysachs is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Eugene, OR & Wilmington, NC
Posts: 4,948
Default

Never would have thought of doing that song all folkie and slow like that, Bob. I like it. That's one of Bruce's tunes I've never even attempted. Don't know if I will, but I like this approach to it, so maybe I'll give it a try some day. Thanks for waking this thread up...

-Ray
__________________
"It's just honest human stuff that hadn't been near a dang metronome in its life" - Benmont Tench
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 09-23-2022, 07:00 PM
reeve21 reeve21 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Central Connecticut, USA
Posts: 5,702
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Never would have thought of doing that song all folkie and slow like that, Bob. I like it. That's one of Bruce's tunes I've never even attempted. Don't know if I will, but I like this approach to it, so maybe I'll give it a try some day. Thanks for waking this thread up...

-Ray
Thanks, Ray. This was the title track on the first album that came out after I became a Bruce fan so itís always had a special spot in my heart. I wasnít consciously trying to do it like a folk song, but I hear what you are saying and come to think of it Bruce really is a folksinger when you strip away a lot of the bombast I hope you are well and continuing to play every chance you can!
__________________
Bob

https://on.soundcloud.com/ZaWP
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 10-22-2022, 09:44 PM
reeve21 reeve21 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Central Connecticut, USA
Posts: 5,702
Default

Iím back

I heard Bruce do a solo acoustic version of this on XM today so I gave it a shot. Kind of obscure, but it was a show stopper for him in concert when it first came out.

I really like this song, heís got so many!

__________________
Bob

https://on.soundcloud.com/ZaWP
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 10-23-2022, 04:48 AM
SalFromChatham's Avatar
SalFromChatham SalFromChatham is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 7,872
Default

Long live this thread! One of us should always commit to bumping it up every now and thenÖ.

Bob. Awesome Darkness.

You inspired me to try it. I am in open D here by the way.

__________________
i got tired of updating my guitars.

Last edited by SalFromChatham; 10-23-2022 at 10:00 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 10-23-2022, 01:01 PM
reeve21 reeve21 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Central Connecticut, USA
Posts: 5,702
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
Long live this thread! One of us should always commit to bumping it up every now and thenÖ.

Bob. Awesome Darkness.

You inspired me to try it. I am in open D here by the way.

What a great job, Sal! This is the definition of ďmaking it your ownď while still retaining the essence of the original. The boss would approve, in fact heís the master of doing it to his own songs!
__________________
Bob

https://on.soundcloud.com/ZaWP
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 10-23-2022, 03:14 PM
started with 1 started with 1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: nyc
Posts: 1,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Iím back



I heard Bruce do a solo acoustic version of this on XM today so I gave it a shot. Kind of obscure, but it was a show stopper for him in concert when it first came out.



I really like this song, heís got so many!





Great version Bob. Bruce has such a deep catalog.
__________________
Started with 1


bowerman custom OM 28 style 2019
breedlove 000-M deluxe revival 2009 (JB)
breedlove OM/AR deluxe (2) 2010
breedlove D/SM american revival 2010 (JB)
breedlove OM/SMYe oregon series 2013
breedlove D/SMYe oregon series 2013
yamaha ls 11 spruce hog mit 1986
yamaha fg 152 spruce hog mij 1976
yamaha fg 110 spruce agathis (tan) mit 1971
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=