The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-16-2024, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Default Trapeze - Patty Griffin cover

I watched a movie last night that had a Patty Griffin song in the soundtrack. I LOVE Patty Griffin, but I sometimes forget about her and it takes hearing her out of the blue to pull me back in. Great songwriter and a beyond great singer IMHO. I have about as much business singing a Patty Griffin song as I'd have singing opera, but I like her stuff enough to at least try. Her voice soars with the greatest of ease, while mine is pretty much limited to ground level. So, of course, a song about a flying trapeze performer in the circus should be right up my alley. Although I can't do it anything like she does, this one is at least somewhat approachable for a landlubber like me. It's a great song I don't really do justice to, but I really enjoyed it anyway. I hope you do as well.

My audio / video recording system only really works with Apple AirPod Pros, so it's balanced and mixed on those and listening back sounds best with AirPods if you have them. It sounds incredibly muddy with more bass-capable headphones or in the room speakers.

-Ray
Old 06-16-2024, 05:09 PM

That actually came out really good!

I've been a big Patty fan since I saw her at my college right when Living With Ghosts came out. She was the opening act for a group I no longer remember and I was absolutely blown away seeing her up close.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-16-2024, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egordon99 View Post
That actually came out really good!

I've been a big Patty fan since I saw her at my college right when Living With Ghosts came out. She was the opening act for a group I no longer remember and I was absolutely blown away seeing her up close.

Thanks for sharing!
Thanks much Evan. I'm pretty happy with how it came out, although listening back several hours after the fact it feels like I was pretty tentative on the first couple verses, but then it gets notably better after that. Particularly when I have two voices going, although on her recording the second vocal is Emmy Lou Harris, so I'm pretty much out of my depth trying to sing this at all! I may try a couple other of her songs, but most of them feel like they're so far out of my range. But there might be another two or three I can take on... But this one I knew as soon as I heard it again that I had to try it.

-Ray
Old 06-18-2024, 01:13 AM

Hey, Ray! Your recording sounds and looks great. And it's pretty faithful to Griffin's performances of that tune. I also like the fact that you explore great tunes that are sometimes a bit obscure. Keep up the good work, and thanks for sharing, and send me your Martin, lol--Tim.
Old 06-18-2024, 04:39 AM
Charter Member

Great stuff Ray - that's a new one on me so thanks for introducing me to it. I enjoyed listening to your version.

The multi-track vocal worked well too.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 06-18-2024, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroad Bum View Post
Hey, Ray! Your recording sounds and looks great. And it's pretty faithful to Griffin's performances of that tune. I also like the fact that you explore great tunes that are sometimes a bit obscure. Keep up the good work, and thanks for sharing, and send me your Martin, lol--Tim.

Thanks Tim. I feel like I've picked most of the low hanging fruit of the artists that I know like the back of my hand. Patty Griffin is someone who's music I flat out love, but only got into maybe in middle age (maybe my 40s if I'm remembering correctly), and I don't know her stuff like the acts I grew up with. But man, what I wouldn't give to be able to sing like she does! There are only a few of her tunes I think I could do at all, this being the first among the few. So I had to give it a try to keep things interesting for myself.

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 06-18-2024 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-18-2024, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coler View Post
Great stuff Ray - that's a new one on me so thanks for introducing me to it. I enjoyed listening to your version.

The multi-track vocal worked well too.

Thanks Coler. I generally find that two of my voices works better than one, but it doesn't always make sense to have two. But if you're not familiar with this song, or Patty Griffin in general, she's well worth spending some time on. This song is from an album from 2007 called "Children Running Through" and it's a great place to start. But she has a few really wonderful albums.

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 06-18-2024 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-18-2024, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Thanks Tim. I feel like I've picked most of the low hanging fruit of the artists that I know like the back of my hand. Patty Griffin is someone who's music I flat out love, but only got into maybe in middle age (maybe my 40s if I'm remembering correctly), and I don't know her stuff like the acts I grew up with. But man, what I wouldn't give to be able to sing like she does! There are only a few of her tunes I think I could do at all, this being the first among the few. So I had to give it a try to keep things interesting for myself.

-Ray
Yeah, you don't hear voices like hers every day. And she is great. I have been familiar with her since the 90s, I think. I didn't know she lived with Robert Plant for about 3 years; I do remember that she was in his Band of Joy. Ah, well, you learn something every day.

A singer I really love but wouldn't even attempt to sing her tunes is Kate Rusby. You might be familiar with her, very English folk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No5FkAmTaJY She kills me!

Thanks for the reply, Ray.
Old 06-18-2024, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Very nice Ray! And what a pretty and great sounding guitar, too!

This is a new song for me, but I enjoyed being introduced to it. Nice going, Ray!

- Glenn
Old 06-18-2024, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Very nice Ray! And what a pretty and great sounding guitar, too!

This is a new song for me, but I enjoyed being introduced to it. Nice going, Ray!

- Glenn
Thanks Glenn. If youre not familiar with Patty Griffin, shes well worth checking out

-Ray
Old 06-19-2024, 10:02 AM

Im in the Patty Griffin fan club too, Ray. She has such a unique and resonant voice. Great job on this cover. I love the inspiration part of how it came about too.

bowerman custom OM 28 style 2019
breedlove 000-M deluxe revival 2009 (JB)
breedlove OM/AR deluxe (2) 2010
breedlove D/SM american revival 2010 (JB)
breedlove OM/SMYe oregon series 2013
breedlove D/SMYe oregon series 2013
yamaha ls 11 spruce hog mit 1986
yamaha fg 152 spruce hog mij 1976
yamaha fg 110 spruce agathis (tan) mit 1971
Old 06-19-2024, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by started with 1 View Post
Im in the Patty Griffin fan club too, Ray. She has such a unique and resonant voice. Great job on this cover. I love the inspiration part of how it came about too.
Thanks for checking it out Joe. Yeah, she's amazing. I'm playing around with a couple of her other tunes right now and getting absolutely NOWHERE with them. She's a tough singer to try to emulate or even fashion limited versions of what she does. This one may be all I manage of her material...

-Ray

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell