The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-12-2024, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
I love to listen to ragtime guitar. My efforts at playing it pretty much ended with Richard Saslow's book, very rudimentary stuff. I crashed and burned on Joplin, etc.

This is great for folks wanting to dip their toe into it.....https://www.amazon.com/New-Art-Ragti...rmat=4&depth=1
Same here! Both my Saslow and Joplin books are collecting dust after my failed efforts. I’ll stick to easier Piedmont blues.
Old 06-12-2024, 04:43 PM

One of the best ragtime players I ever heard was Eric Schoenberg. His 1971 LP "The New Ragtime Guitar" with David Laibman is just jaw dropping good. I was lucky enough to catch him at the Town Crier Cafe just after the LP was released.

I have kept a few rags in my setlist for decades though. Tunes such as Rev. Davis' "Cincinnati Flow Rag" and Etta Baker's "Knoxville Rag."
Old 06-12-2024, 04:52 PM

Default Piedmont blues book?

[QUOTE=I’ll stick to easier Piedmont blues.[/QUOTE]

Any books you'd recommend to learn Piedmont blues style?
Old 06-12-2024, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I play rags, old jazz and blues. Classical ragtime, no. My favorite band is Tuba Skinny, YouTube them. I do allot of the same material as a solo performer. I have kind of an aggressive Roy Bookbinder type of style. I quit flatpicking and dedicated my learning to fingerpicking some years back when I semi-retired. I probably play a song or two of all the old Piedmont style players. Throw in an old country and a jug band tune here and there and I'm good. I play most things in the Piedmont style though.
HUGE Tuba Skinny fan here. They're always great and greater when Erika is with them.
Old 06-12-2024, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie B View Post
Any books you'd recommend to learn Piedmont blues style?
There may be books that I'm not aware of but I can recommend Ari Eisingers' instructional Blind Blake video found at Stephen Grossmans' Guitar Workshop. Comes with a PDF.
2011 Recording King ROS 626
2020 National NRP Tricone
Old 06-13-2024, 01:55 AM

The first guitar player that really blew me away was Cliff Aungier, who played in an aggressive bluesy-ragtime style. As I later discovered, somewhere between Big Bill Broonzy and Blind Blake, neither of whom I'd heard of back then. I'd been playing just 6 months at that point (mid-1966), and was making my first hesitant steps towards the sweeter Donovan/Bert Jansch alternating bass style.

I started going to folk clubs (in London), '67-68, where I saw equally amazing players like Gerry Lockran, John James and Stefan Grossman. I learned to play Dallas Rag off Grossman's first album, slowing it to half-speed with a tape deck. I didn't play it very well, but I could play it! My first Blind Blake tune would have been Diddy Wah Diddy, maybe a year or two after that.

Here's a tune Aungier once played on a radio session in '67 (never on an album) which I taped and set about learning. Really just a Broonzy-esque blues jam, but I was never too precious about the generic boundaries between "blues" and "ragtime" - I liked the stuff which straddled both camps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QtLj3pY2aw

(Much as I loved Bert Jansch, that was always more about his songwriting than his guitar playing. He was obviously an amazing player, but on a more introspective level. Ragtime was more exciting!)

Last edited by JonPR; 06-13-2024 at 02:01 AM.
Old 06-13-2024, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Mary Flowers and Craig Ventresco are two to check out. Both take my breath away .... in their own style.

Creativity comes more easily with a good dose of fool
Old 06-16-2024, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Mary Flowers and Craig Ventresco are two to check out. Both take my breath away .... in their own style.
Mary Flower is a treasure. I had a chance to see her perform and participate in a small workshop she taught at McCabe’s in Los Angeles a few years ago.
Old 06-16-2024, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Default Sunday morning musing

It has occurred to me that there are no Blind Blake songs that are in the key of A or E which are common blues keys.

His songs were all played in the first position, up tempo and the majority are in G or C major. He was a very prolific writer and I continually come across things he has written that I wasn't aware of so I could be wrong.

I don't think he has any songs in Spanish (open G). Is Police Dog Blues in Sevastopol tuning (open E) a one-off? Chump Man Blues is in Dropped D I think.
2011 Recording King ROS 626
2020 National NRP Tricone

Last edited by Bluenose; 06-16-2024 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-16-2024, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

I have a mix of music influences. One that incorporates a ragtime feel is my tune "Six String Shuffle":

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write