The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-07-2024, 08:45 PM

Default Yamaha NTX3

Has anybody here own or have played a Yamaha NTX3. It is considered a crossover guitar. Would like to hear some opinions from real life experiences.
Old 06-08-2024, 03:37 AM

I had one for a while. I ended up selling it because to me the neck was too narrow, other than that it was a great guitar.

The pickup system is really good, easy to get a good natural sound plugged in.

I have become a little bit cautious to that line of Yamahas. The NXT3 was my first one and it had no issues as far as quality goes. I tried two NCX3s after that, and those necks were a much better fit for me. However, both were returned due to buzz issues I couldn't easily fix myself. The first one had a b-string buzz, the second had some noise going on for all six strings.

I currently own a FSX3, and thankfully no such issues, and again the pickup system sounds great. Setup out of the box was far from good enough though, not only high action but uneven also.

One more thing worth mentioning is the first I had (NTX3) came with a really nice soft shell case, promoted as premium gig bag if memory serves. It was really nice and good enough for me to not even consider buying a different case. The last I got though had a far inferior bag, and I ended up buying a hard shell case for that guitar. Something has changed it seems.

Martin OM-28V
Yamaha FSX3
Godin Arena Pro CW Bourbon Burst
Manuel Rodriguez Magistral D-C
EBS Stanley Clarke Sig. Acoustic Pre
Alto TX210 powered speaker
Old 06-08-2024, 08:21 AM

I have both the NTX-3 and the NTX-5. I got the NTX-3 first, but needed a second guitar to keep at my parentsí house. I fly to visit them multiple times a year and donít want to deal with transporting a guitar.

The NTX-3 and NTX-5 are wonderful guitars. They are almost identical, except that the NTX-3 is made in China whereas the NTX-5 is made in Japan. This is similar to US brands where the higher end instruments are made in the US and the lower priced tiers are imported. The quality of both is similar. There is a slight difference of the way the fretboards on the NTX-5 extends into the soundhole.

I love the design, the feel, and the sound. I switched to nylon strings because of arthritis, and like the slimmer, longer neck. If you want a traditional wide neck with a flat fingerboard, there is the NCX series (which is identical other than that).

The atmosfeel pickup system is very good. It has an undersaddle pickup for low frequencies, a contact pickup for highs, and an omnidirectional mic for the mids. It is a wonderful sounding pickup system.

The downside would be the single EQ knob. It isnít enough. You can easily EQ it on a good acoustic amp or PA mixer, but if youíre at an open mic, you donít have enough control to do it from the guitar itself.

For me, the NTX-3/5 has become mostly a home guitar. I like it live, but prefer a flat stage guitar like a Godin Multiac or Ibanez FRH10N for playing standing up.

I play my NTX-5 at home for hours every day. When I visit my parents and play the NTX-3, the experience is the same. It is a wonderful guitar!
Old 06-10-2024, 06:30 PM

Thank you. I have about $1100 budget but I am not sure quite which way to go and I wont be able to play one as I am very rural.
Old 06-12-2024, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskyman View Post
Has anybody here own or have played a Yamaha NTX3. It is considered a crossover guitar. Would like to hear some opinions from real life experiences.
I have not, but, food for thought, you may also want to look into its predecessor.
https://jp.yamaha.com/products/music...l#product-tabs
(information translates fairly well)

YAMAHA AC6R
YAMAHA FS5
YAMAHA RGX-A2
Ibanez PF-40 Flamed Maple B/S (1990s)
Ibanez RG ? MIJ (1987?)
Old 06-13-2024, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I have both the NTX-3 and the NTX-5. I got the NTX-3 first, but needed a second guitar to keep at my parentsí house. I fly to visit them multiple times a year and donít want to deal with transporting a guitar.

The NTX-3 and NTX-5 are wonderful guitars. They are almost identical, except that the NTX-3 is made in China whereas the NTX-5 is made in Japan. This is similar to US brands where the higher end instruments are made in the US and the lower priced tiers are imported. The quality of both is similar. There is a slight difference of the way the fretboards on the NTX-5 extends into the soundhole.

I love the design, the feel, and the sound. I switched to nylon strings because of arthritis, and like the slimmer, longer neck. If you want a traditional wide neck with a flat fingerboard, there is the NCX series (which is identical other than that).

The atmosfeel pickup system is very good. It has an undersaddle pickup for low frequencies, a contact pickup for highs, and an omnidirectional mic for the mids. It is a wonderful sounding pickup system.

The downside would be the single EQ knob. It isnít enough. You can easily EQ it on a good acoustic amp or PA mixer, but if youíre at an open mic, you donít have enough control to do it from the guitar itself.

For me, the NTX-3/5 has become mostly a home guitar. I like it live, but prefer a flat stage guitar like a Godin Multiac or Ibanez FRH10N for playing standing up.

I play my NTX-5 at home for hours every day. When I visit my parents and play the NTX-3, the experience is the same. It is a wonderful guitar!
The atmosfeel pickup system sounds quite versatile and well-suited for acoustic-electric performance, combining undersaddle and contact pickups with an omnidirectional mic. However, the limitation of a single EQ knob could be frustrating in live settings where quick adjustments are necessary. Have you considered using an external EQ pedal or preamp to gain more control over your sound during performances?

Your preference for a different guitar like the Godin Multiac or Ibanez FRH10N on stage makes sense, given their flat stage design.

Thanks for sharing your experience
Old 06-13-2024, 06:29 AM

The Cordoba Stage is well spoken of by many owners if you don't need a true acoustic instrument. It is available in both 1-7/8" true crossover nut width and also 2" true classical nut width for those who like wider fret boards.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical