The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-01-2024, 07:26 PM
Doug Young's Avatar
Doug Young Doug Young is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 10,039
Default The t.bone demo: Mixing fingerstyle acoustic

Just came across this new video in my feed. Seems nicely done, simple and pretty similar to what I do.

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-02-2024, 06:29 AM
KevWind's Avatar
KevWind KevWind is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edge of Wilderness Wyoming
Posts: 20,167
Default

Interesting and pretty handy that the UAD Fairchild can be set to parallel right on plugin itself
__________________
Enjoy the Journey.... Kev...

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-06-2024, 10:17 PM
anton's Avatar
anton anton is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 901
Default

That was very informative, thanks for posting it Doug. I'll have to give some of those techniques a try.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-07-2024, 09:24 AM
anton's Avatar
anton anton is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 901
Default

One of my challenges with videos like this and trying it on my own is i can sometimes never hear a difference with a given effect on or off. Maybe my ears don't know what to listen for or I need more practice.

When I've tried demos of the Soothe plugin or various compressors I'll run my results by someone and I've invariably applied to much effect, especially compression.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-07-2024, 10:08 AM
mkennedy5683 mkennedy5683 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Posts: 21
Default

Thanks for sharing, it was super helpful!

MK
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-07-2024, 11:33 AM
jim1960 jim1960 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 6,127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
One of my challenges with videos like this and trying it on my own is i can sometimes never hear a difference with a given effect on or off. Maybe my ears don't know what to listen for or I need more practice.
You're not running into obstacles we all haven't come across in the beginning. If you're looking for problematic resonances, an easy way to identify them is to use a similar eq as in the video and drag one of those dots up, narrow the bandwidth, and then sweep the entire range. Keep in mind that everything sounds bad when you do that, so you have to listen for the worst offenders. Once you find a problematic resonance, just drag the dot down a bit so the resonance is less noticeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
When I've tried demos of the Soothe plugin or various compressors I'll run my results by someone and I've invariably applied to much effect, especially compression.
Some suggestions:
1. Pick a compressor that you already own and play with it for an hour or two on a simple track. Get to really learn and understand how every adjustment influences the sound. This interactive tool might help you understand what the adjustment controls are doing and help you focus your listening.

2. Use the disable button on the compressor plugin so you can A/B your mix before and after the compression settings you've selected. Too much compression will, to my ears anyway, sound like a blanket was draped over a mix. To me, too much compression sounds muffled.

3. Sometimes we can learn where to focus our listening by exaggerating the effect we're applying. Try cranking the compression to extreme limits (if your compressor has presets, find one that hints at A LOT of compression) and listen to what it does to the music. This is another way to train your ears as to what they should be listening for when a track is over-compressed.

4. A method often used is to apply more than one compressor. In situations where a lot of compression is needed, using more than one compressor allows each to be used more subtly, thereby making the compression less obvious.

5. Probably the most important thing is to learn when compression is necessary. We use compression for two reasons: to control the dynamic range and to impart some kind of character on a track.

When we talk about dynamic range, we're referring to the loudness difference between the least audible parts of a track and the most audible parts of a track. If the difference is too great, a listener will have to ride the volume knob to hear everything at a comfortable level. Compression reduces the distance between the least audible and the most audible.

Some compressors, in addition to what I described in the previous paragraph, will impart some sound characteristic on a track. Those compressors can add grit, saturation, brightness, etc. In situations where those things are desirable, "character compressors" can make a track really shine.
__________________
Jim
2023 Iris ND-200 maple/adi
2017 Circle Strings 00 bastogne walnut/sinker redwood
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-07-2024, 12:54 PM
Doug Young's Avatar
Doug Young Doug Young is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 10,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
You're not running into obstacles we all haven't come across in the beginning. If you're looking for problematic resonances, an easy way to identify them is to use a similar eq as in the video and drag one of those dots up, narrow the bandwidth, and then sweep the entire range. Keep in mind that everything sounds bad when you do that, so you have to listen for the worst offenders. Once you find a problematic resonance, just drag the dot down a bit so the resonance is less noticeable.
What I typically do (for solo guitar, like Anton is also doing), is listen to identify what I don't like about the guitar sound, try to get that frequency sound in my head, then use the narrow boost/sweep method to find that frequency. That helps avoid the issue of everything sounding bad as you preview the narrow band. I'm not looking for "something that sounds bad", I'm looking for that specific bad sound I've already noticed. Also, of course, with many EQs these days, you can see the spectrum, so that often gives you a good idea, reinforcing visually what you think you're hearing. With Fabfilter (which I think you have, Anton?) you can literally just grab a peak in the spectrum and pull it down. You can of course solo that to be sure it matches what you think you're hearing.


Quote:
5. Probably the most important thing is to learn when compression is necessary. We use compression for two reasons: to control the dynamic range and to impart some kind of character on a track

When we talk about dynamic range, we're referring to the loudness difference between the least audible parts of a track and the most audible parts of a track. If the difference is too great, a listener will have to ride the volume knob to hear everything at a comfortable level. Compression reduces the distance between the least audible and the most audible.

Some compressors, in addition to what I described in the previous paragraph, will impart some sound characteristic on a track. Those compressors can add grit, saturation, brightness, etc. In situations where those things are desirable, "character compressors" can make a track really shine.
For what Anton's doing, solo instrumental guitar, there's not going to be a lot of dynamic range. The main reason I use a compressor for that case is for the character. A LA-2 always just seems to add a touch of fatness to a track. A little goes a long way, and I don't want to hear any compression, which will really stick out with solo fingerstyle guitar. I usually have an LA-2 set so that it shows no meter movement. It's probably compressing a 1/4 of a db at most, but it does tend to add a nice character. I also do the limiter on the master bus approach this video shows, again, not really to compress, but to raise the volume to release level with a bit of a safety valve, and typically, I never see it kick in.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-10-2024, 09:11 AM
anton's Avatar
anton anton is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 901
Default

Thanks for the tips guys. I will definitely try that stuff. I'm familiar with the freq boost and sweep method, at least a bit, having tried it in the past.

I have all the basic Fab Filter plugins, Reverb, EQ, Compressor, Limiter, plus i think one LA-2 by some other company. I've looked at buying Soothe at various times but could never totally justify dropping the money. I was recently messing around with the Pulsar Mu Compressor/Limiter demo, but didn't get around to buying it before their spring sale ended.

I've copied my general approach for making my tracks sound better from what I've seen Doug and Eric Skye do. I think its good enough for Youtube, etc, but it would nice to be able to actually mix my own music for a release.

Or maybe i will leave that to the professionals.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-10-2024, 07:40 PM
min7b5's Avatar
min7b5 min7b5 is offline
Eric Skye
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 7,703
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
..
I have all the basic Fab Filter plugins, Reverb, EQ, Compressor, Limiter, plus i think one LA-2 by some other company. I've looked at buying Soothe at various times but could never totally justify dropping the money. I was recently messing around with the Pulsar Mu Compressor...
I will say the Pulsar Mu is my favorite plugin these days. Almost not using it for compression at all, more just as a "color box," as the kids say. Everything sounds better just going through it for some reason. But didn't like it for a long time before that, just couldn't figure it out.. And of course I'll probably feel differently soon enough When it goes on a sale again, I think it's really worth it.
__________________
Instruction
Youtube
Instagram
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-11-2024, 11:35 AM
anton's Avatar
anton anton is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 901
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
I will say the Pulsar Mu is my favorite plugin these days.
Yea i decided to try it and after seeing one of your mixing screen shots. I wasn't totally sure what I was doing, and then the sale ran out. Ill put it on the list for next time.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=