The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-14-2020, 04:56 PM

Default Taylor GS Mini Rosewood or Mahogany for light playing?

Hi all!

This is my first post but I have long enjoyed the wealth of advice/information on this site.

Over the last few years, since studying jazz guitar, I have developed wrist and hand problems (carpal tunnel, early arthritis) due to overplaying and insufficient technique. I am an avid songwriter but I have had to become very economical with my playing time - a serious nuisance!

Enter the GS mini.

Lately I have tried a lot of guitars in the search for something that would grant me more playing time (and also not sound terrible). Recently I got the opportunity to play a GS mini Koa and it did a very good job of striking that balance. It was the only GS in the shop and although it felt/sounded great I'm not wildly into Koa and I hate piezo pickups (K&K all the way). I have therefore narrowed my search down to the Spruce/Rosewood and the Mahogany models. Living in Ireland I am not in a position to try either of these so, if you'll humour me, I have a few questions for anyone who has experience with them:

1) The mahogany seems to be most popular. For those who chose it: what won you over? Would you typically use it for strumming? (I mostly play lightly with fingers and I'm worried it will be unsuitable for that style) How dark is it relative to a Martin 00015? (I found this too dark when I tried it)

2) A large consensus seems to be that the Spruce top sounds very bright. I like dead strings (PB Custom Lights) and I'm wondering if that might balance this? Does this model respond well to light playing?

I suppose I'm mostly curious what people use their Spruce and Mahogany models for? What do they respond best to? What would you not use them for? Where do they shine?

P.S just to clarify - I have had my main guitar (Avalon dreadnought) set up with very low action and have been working on my technique. I'm also fully aware of the limitations of a mini guitar. I want this primarily as a songwriting instrument.

Sorry for the long post!
Old 07-14-2020, 05:28 PM

Hi Shane, Welcome to the AGF!

I don't think you can go wrong with either of those GS Minis but if I had to buy one for light fingerpicking without playing it first I'd choose the Spruce. I'd use PBs if I thought the guitar was bright.
Old 07-14-2020, 05:29 PM

Welcome Shane!

We've owned both the spruce top and mahogany topped Mini's. The mahogany clearly won for richer tone, and that was immediately obvious to both my wife and me. The spruce was a bit bright and thin, even among GS Mini examples. (I did not choose to buy the spruce one, it came as part of a trade deal for an amplifier that I actually wanted. But my wife did deliberately buy her GS Mini with the mahogany top). We did both light strumming and finger picking on ours, including open G tuning [DGDGBD] with light gauge strings. You don't have to worry about a Mini being too dark sounding -- Taylor rarely get accused of dark tone. I cannot compare directly to a Martin 000-15 though. The only Martin that size we owned was a 1993 000-16 with a spruce top, gone a LONG time ago. Koa wood tends to be the brightest of all the tops. Spruce is less bright, and mahogany is the sweet spot.

Conventional wisdom says that the body veneer has little or no effect on tone -- it's all about the top. You can find some dissension on that point around the forum. But I attribute any perceptible differences to natural variations in the top wood, rather than the veneers used. I too like the sound of mellower strings, and do NOT care for the excess sizzle of fresh strings of almost any alloy. I like most strings better at one week old rather than brand new. Maybe Silk & Bronze would be the right fit?

What the GS Mini really has going for it is a comfortable body shape and size, a short scale length of 23.5", and a fairly narrow 1-11/16" nut width. These factors all tend to make it comfy to play. They also usually come with a decent setup right out of the box. You can always tune down a half-step or a whole step to reduce string tension further. Going a half-step down is roughly equal to choosing one gauge lighter strings. You may sacrifice some overall volume, but will gain playing comfort.

Added: I see you are in Ireland. I don't know what your budget limit is, but consider an Emerald X7 carbon fiber from Donegal. X7 is a small parlor or 00 size, 1.75" nut width, 24" scale length and superb build quality. Our GS Mini's went away as soon as my wife tried her X7, and we never looked back.
https://emeraldguitars.com/guitar-ra..._model-name=x7

Last edited by Earl49; 07-14-2020 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-14-2020, 05:36 PM

I bought a mahogany version; at the time the difference seemed very important to me. I did try one of the spruce tops in person that was quite bright, but another spruce mini in the store (spruce/walnut with pickup) sounded great to me. There are a bunch of comparisons on YouTube that are worth checking out. The hog version is warmer, but I don’t think the difference is really all that critical anymore. Something must have happened to my ear - both sound good now .
Old 07-14-2020, 05:58 PM

I've played several GS-Mini's in the shops. I've read here that everything is equal on these guitars except the laminated sides and backs. The best sounding mini that I've played was Walnut s/b's but honestly, I think on any given day, one would sound better than the other. I think it's a crap shoot. In other words.... I don't think the backs and sides have any input to the tone.

If you look at the reviews, they all get 5 stars. That said, in that price range, I think you can find a better sounding guitar. I'd be looking at Washburns. But that's me.

Good luck in your search.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:45 PM

hi, I have (and love) the mahogany one.

my thoughts wrt your questions

1) the mini sounds much darker than my 0015M martin. That martin feels much more vibrant and aggressive compared to the GS. The mini just has a more muted and condensed output. The mini isn't a natural strummer to my ears, guitars with a wider dynamic range and tone seem more fit for that (ymmv). Also, since it's so small you'll be hunched over that GS like a troll, strumming makes it only feel more cramped.

2) the GS responds really well to light playing. It's a quiet instrument overall, woolly tone. Really sweet feel. I had to experiment with different strings, but the default medium gauge worked well, lights just felt kind of limp and lifeless.

no bad choices I think, it's a great bedroom instrument.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:06 PM

It’ll work similar but produce different sound. I had a gsmini rosewood once and I liked it. Very responsive
Old 07-14-2020, 10:44 PM
AGF Administrator

Having owned each of the spruce, mahogany, and koa, the mahogany topped Mini would be my choice. It sounds fuller and less bright than the others, and is best suited in my opinion to a variety of playing styles.

Here's a good demo from fellow member noledog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUXVmKHHi5A

Old 07-15-2020, 12:34 AM

Default Taylor GS Mini Rosewood or Mahogany for light playing?

Welcome to AGF!

Based on a poll done, the favourite top wood for GS Mini is Mahogany, followed by Koa and then Spruce. Link below.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=532626

My favourite is the Koa top, which I’ve owned for 2 years 8 months. I used to own a Spruce top GS Mini too. Never really played the Mahogany gs mini long enough to really assess if it is better than the Koa. Anyway, I love the sweet tone of my 7-month old 00-15M. Didn't find it too dark (warm).

I like hardwood (Koa, Hog, Monkeypod) top guitars. So I would say that preference of tone is very subjective. Not sure how much help this would be. I think that the GS Mini is a great guitar. You won’t go wrong with either of the 3 choices. Many folks here tend to find the 1-11/16” nut width too narrow for comfort but it is my preferred nut width. Enjoy your hunt for your new guitar.

Just to add another option. You may want to consider the Martin Dreadnought Junior. It is about the same price as the GS Mini but it is all solid wood and has a 1-3/4” nut width, if that is your preference. Poll done (link below) and the Martin Dread Jr was the popular choice (versus GS Mini). Current newer version has a slimmer body depth.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=530075
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)

Last edited by Cool555; 07-15-2020 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Added second link.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Lester View Post
Hi all!

This is my first post but I have long enjoyed the wealth of advice/information on this site.

Over the last few years, since studying jazz guitar, I have developed wrist and hand problems (carpal tunnel, early arthritis) due to overplaying and insufficient technique. I am an avid songwriter but I have had to become very economical with my playing time - a serious nuisance!

Enter the GS mini.

Lately I have tried a lot of guitars in the search for something that would grant me more playing time (and also not sound terrible). Recently I got the opportunity to play a GS mini Koa and it did a very good job of striking that balance. It was the only GS in the shop and although it felt/sounded great I'm not wildly into Koa and I hate piezo pickups (K&K all the way). I have therefore narrowed my search down to the Spruce/Rosewood and the Mahogany models. Living in Ireland I am not in a position to try either of these so, if you'll humour me, I have a few questions for anyone who has experience with them:

1) The mahogany seems to be most popular. For those who chose it: what won you over? Would you typically use it for strumming? (I mostly play lightly with fingers and I'm worried it will be unsuitable for that style) How dark is it relative to a Martin 00015? (I found this too dark when I tried it)

2) A large consensus seems to be that the Spruce top sounds very bright. I like dead strings (PB Custom Lights) and I'm wondering if that might balance this? Does this model respond well to light playing?

I suppose I'm mostly curious what people use their Spruce and Mahogany models for? What do they respond best to? What would you not use them for? Where do they shine?

P.S just to clarify - I have had my main guitar (Avalon dreadnought) set up with very low action and have been working on my technique. I'm also fully aware of the limitations of a mini guitar. I want this primarily as a songwriting instrument.

Sorry for the long post!
Sorry to hear about your hand problems. I also deal with carpal so I feel your pain.

I own 2 Martin JRs now. The 000 and the Dread. I run John Pears p/b 12s or Sata Cruz parabolic mediums on both and imo they kick the crud out of the GS Mini line. The Dread has a classic sound to it like you would expect from an old Martin. The 000 is more refined and focused with a nice sweet sound. I have owned a few GS Minis and sold the last one when I got the 000. Keep in mind they come with retro strings and imo they are the worst strings for the JR line. So much tone wasted with them.

Before you go buying a mini try out some OM or other small bodied Cedar tops with a shorter scale. The E2om is what I am playing most of the time unless I am on a dread. Cedar is ultra responsive. It requires very little input to produce clear audible tone. The problem with Cedar is that sweet mid range that can at times get in the way when you are singing.
Old 02-21-2022, 01:18 PM

Default I've Owned at Least One of Each!

This thread has gone silent, but for the sake of antiquity/future browsers, I will offer this. I've owned at least one of each GS mini--up to and including the Koa GS mini Plus. I gave away two and sold the rest--over time. The only one I kept and will not sell is the GS mini mahogany I got for free during a bonus sale at Sweetwater for buying another guitar. I would have never bought the mahogany GS mini independently, but I'm glad for the "gift" from the promotion. I love this little guy. I have owned at least one guitar from all the Taylor series--except presentation. Because of the GS mini, the only guitars I now own have mahogany tops. Again, that's not why I got into Taylors. I like the Taylor brightness, but it started to sound shrill--regardless of strings I tried--and I found myself adjusting my playing to tone them down.

So, the GS mini mahogany has phenomenal mid-range, deep-throated tone that's different--not better and not less--than my 12 fret Taylor. But the REAl thrill is that the GS mini sounds PHENOMENAL in altered tunings. Open "C" makes the GS mini mog sound like I'm playing a Bass. It blows my grand auditoriums and grand concerts out of the water.

Great tone and an altered tuning master! It was an expensive journey, but I finally found the combination that I can live with (or, "with which I can live?")
Old 02-21-2022, 07:59 PM

You are correct that the Mahogany GS Mini is hugely popular. I have said several times on the forum that my GS Mini is my favorite guitar for pure guitar playing fun.

I did enjoy playing the mahogany GS Mini when I was shopping for my short scale guitar. But in the end the one that whispered "Take me home" was the spruce & rosewood.

I played hard to get, to be sure. I drove from town to town and played Baby Taylors, Little Martins, Martin DJR-10s, Yamaha JR2s, and every GS Mini I could get my hands on. Even a Guild P-240 12 fret parlor guitar. But every time I picked up that spruce & rosewood GS Mini is said "Take me home", and eventually I did.

IMO when it comes to GS Minis then koa, mahogany, spruce & rosewood, honestly you can't go wrong.
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 02-21-2022, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

Another vote for mahogany tops. Layered bodies, all w-poplar cores likely have little to do with tonal variation...maybe a tad? Most agree it's the tops. I've played ~2 dozen mini's and own two, a Mahogany(no-e) and a Koa Plus w-ES2. To my ears Mahogany consistently wins out, though some Koa's were a close 2nd. I came across a really sweet sounding Koa Plus and as I needed a compact guitar with decent electronics I purchased that KOA plus. Spruce tops no matter what the body, just don't do anything for me, but that's me. Like always, you'll have to decide what you prefer.
Old 02-21-2022, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

Since this thread is a year and a half old, I wonder whether the OP got a GS Mini and, if so, which one, and if his condition improved?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
carpal tunnel, ergonomic guitar, taylor gs mini, wrist problems