The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-14-2020, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood King View Post
This weekend I was very excited to go to my local shop and sit with the Martin CEO-7 in person for the first time. I loved the specs on paper, and loved what I heard when I listened to some demos online. When I saw it in person, I was impressed: it's a really gorgeous guitar with a beautiful finish. The build quality is impeccable.

The store also had an Eastman e10ooss/v that I wanted to try. I took the two into a corner room so I could sing along while I played. I went back and forth between the two and found something that surprised me: I liked the Eastman a whole lot more! I kept A/Bing between the two and just gravitated more towards the sound of the Eastman.

I talked with an employee and asked their opinion as I sang with each, and they said they could tell I matched a bit better with the Eastman based on how I was playing and engaging with it. I got up and wandered a bit around the store and looked up at a guitar hung higher on the wall. I asked what model it was, and they told me it was the Martin 000-18. I said "What the heck, I'll try it!"

I sat down with the 000-18 and it was an instant connection. I found myself just having so much fun with it, and that guitar could handle just about anything I tried. Strumming sounded great. Fingerpicking was great. The short scale neck with the modern profile felt spot on to me, and I was pleasantly surprised. I can't say enough how impressed I was with that guitar!

I picked up the Eastman (that I had only minutes ago really liked) to find it sounded a lot less vibrant than I remembered. How could my brain change that quickly? I realized the Eastman had a more modern C-shaped neck that helped me feel more comfortable while playing it compared to the CEO, so I was able to play with more touch and finesse than on the V neck. But when I picked up the 000-18, that Martin sound combined with the comfortable neck totally blew the Eastman out of the water.

I strummed the CEO-7 again and liked the sound of it a lot. These three guitars are finely crafted instruments, and I don't have anything objectively negative to say about any of them. I share this just as a fun story of how important the feel of a guitar is to each player. I've been playing for 17 years and I was still surprised by how much that impacted my response to each of these fine instruments.

And now? I wait for the funds to come together to get myself that 000.
Great story. I used to own a lovely CEO7. My six month old 000-18 is lovely as well, and a little easier on my hands without the V neck profile. I've come to appreciate the importance of neck feel and profile over the years as it can really make a difference in playing.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:09 PM

My friend leew owns a CEO 7 and a 000-18. They are both great.
If I had to pick between the two, hands down it’s the 18.
That guitar lit me up instantly.
Maybe he will offer his thoughts...

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-14-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
000-18 is the choice. Get THAT one even if you have to put it on lay away or pay it out maybe borrow from a friend or family member. Youll regret it for the rest of your life. I have experienced something similar. I walked into a store and walked out with a used 000-18 with the P neck.
Layaway is precisely what I’m debating at the moment... it’s such a great guitar.
2019 Ibanez AC340 OPN

Singer Songwriter: http://benjaminkrogh.bandcamp.com
Old 07-15-2020, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
My friend leew owns a CEO 7 and a 000-18. They are both great.
If I had to pick between the two, hands down it’s the 18.
That guitar lit me up instantly.
Maybe he will offer his thoughts...
I like them both and find that I am consistently drawn to the CEO 7 most often. I love the feel of it, the complexity of the tone and how loud and responsive it is for a 00. No disrespect for the 000-18 as I find myself practicing flat picking on that as well. You weren't asking for advice but I always recommend buying both guitars!
Old 07-16-2020, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
I like them both and find that I am consistently drawn to the CEO 7 most often. I love the feel of it, the complexity of the tone and how loud and responsive it is for a 00. No disrespect for the 000-18 as I find myself practicing flat picking on that as well. You weren't asking for advice but I always recommend buying both guitars!
And there you have it from the man who has both!
Seriously, you can’t go wrong with either.
I call the 000-18 a “D18 Light.”

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-16-2020, 12:04 PM

More love for the 000-18 - for me it's the essence of the Martin tone and feel and I think they did an excellent job with the upgrades (neck especially) a few years ago. I finger pick it, I use it for Hawaiian slack key, I strum it when I sing and I even play bluegrass on it. It's responsive and still takes strumming well, and it plays so easily. I will never sell my 000-18! It's the guitar I play every day.

That said, I haven't tried the CEO, so take it with a grain of salt :-)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
eastman e10oo, martin 000-18, martin ceo-7