The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-12-2020, 09:24 PM

After I wrote that I seldom polish my guitars, sometimes going years between polishing, Don replied:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lampson View Post
No doubt you offer sound advice. However, you ignore the simple fact that polishing one's guitar, is an act of love, and not just for preventive maintenance.... It's the same love that burns deeply in classic car owners, and beyond.... Without this love, there wouldn't be marketing in 31 delicious flavors of "guitar polish", would there?
Excellent point, Don. I definitely hadn’t thought of it from that perspective.

In case anyone got the mistaken impression that I’m claiming that polishing one’s guitar might somehow damage it, that’s not what I was trying to convey. So long as it’s an appropriate polish that gets used, while it will remove a minuscule layer of nitrocellulose lacquer, it’s not going to strip it down to the bare wood anytime soon. Plenty of players polish their guitars on a regular basis and it doesn’t hurt ANYthing.

The truth is that I’m not a guy who likes to polish much of anything. After attending the Citadel, the military college of South Carolina, I swore that I would never polish anything ever again, whether it was my shoes, my brass belt buckle or anything else.

That vow, made in anger, great weariness and in reaction to what I’d experienced while part of the South Carolina Corps of Cadets, hasn’t been something that I’ve strictly enforced in the years since. But it definitely inclined me away from habitual polishing of anything, whether of shoes, belt buckles, the brass fire extinguisher in D Company’s corner of the barracks (yes, I polished that fire extinguisher more than once,) or guitars.

For me it wouldn’t be an act of love to polish my guitars. I do it when it’s needed, but don’t take any joy in it.

Thanks for reminding me that for many players it’s done out of fondness, not a begrudging sense of duty.

Wade Hampton “Reluctant Son Of The South” Miller
Old 07-12-2020, 10:03 PM

Lizard Spit works great!
Old 07-12-2020, 10:07 PM

I figured the spots would be droplets of sweat. Actually I use spit on a microfiber cloth as polish. It contains gentle enzymes that are perfect to get the grime of nitro finish where it has touched my elbow when I play with short sleeves, and also gets the neck smooth again if it is sticky.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
I figured the spots would be droplets of sweat. Actually I use spit on a microfiber cloth as polish. It contains gentle enzymes that are perfect to get the grime of nitro finish where it has touched my elbow when I play with short sleeves, and also gets the neck smooth again if it is sticky.
In Smithsonian Magazine or a similar publication I read a magazine article about a team of art restorers who were cleaning and restoring a painting from the 1500's. The head of the team was quoted as saying: "We use an enzyme solution that has the perfect balance needed to clean away the grime and gunk without damaging the paint below - it's called human saliva."

He went on to explain that saliva has the perfect balance between the enzymes to cut through without acting as a solvent for the oil paint.

I thought that was pretty cool, and enjoyed the team leader's sense of humor - he obviously isn't one of those pompous, self-important individuals who often afflict the visual arts field.

whm
Old 07-13-2020, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
There's a song or two contained within this thread, should one be motivated.

... at the very least!

heck, I’m thinkin’ my next project might be called ”Guit Spittle” ...

Old 07-13-2020, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Lizard Spit works great!
I agree...Lizard Spit is great stuff.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:57 AM

I'll chime in with spit and no polish. Just for the record Wade, I was in the Army, and I hated spit and polish too.

And old cotton T-shirts may rip and fade away, but they are great utility cloths.

While I love and respect my guitars (and my wife), I avoid polishing them at all. I do suppose they won't mind the occasional caress if you have to show some affection every now and then. (Hey, I'm talking about the guitars. ;-) )

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 07-13-2020, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

I have the same problem, especially after a performance... what can I say? I GET INTO IT when I play and sing!

I just dampen the edge of a soft cloth (diaper) or a microfiber cloth and then buff dry afterwards... comes off easy enough. I also use that damp cloth protocol for general everyday cleaning... rarely need anything stronger.

The general rule of thumb for cleaning a guitar is to start with the LEAST invasive/abrasive method and escalate from there, as needed...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 07-14-2020, 08:02 AM

Have you ever heard the term.... Spit Shine.?? It's real and it works. However, you need to clean your guitar more often. Most likely every time you sing.!!
Old 07-14-2020, 11:03 AM

Thanks all. Damp cloth cleaned it up just fine.
-BK
Old 07-14-2020, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Don't sit in front of a singer during this covid period. I'm just saying.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 07-14-2020, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lampson View Post
No doubt you offer sound advice. However, you ignore the simple fact that polishing one's guitar, is an act of love, and not just for preventive maintenance.... It's the same love that burns deeply in classic car owners, and beyond.... Without this love, there wouldn't be marketing in 31 delicious flavors of "guitar polish", would there?

Don
Absolutely.

I clean and polish my guitars at every string change which is about every three months. It's a ritual for me that I thoroughly enjoy.
Old 07-14-2020, 04:56 PM

Don wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post
I'll chime in with spit and no polish. Just for the record Wade, I was in the Army, and I hated spit and polish too.

And old cotton T-shirts may rip and fade away, but they are great utility cloths.

While I love and respect my guitars (and my wife), I avoid polishing them at all. I do suppose they won't mind the occasional caress if you have to show some affection every now and then. (Hey, I'm talking about the guitars. ;-) )
Yeah, I can just see that: "Hey, come back here, Honey, I need to polish your teeth with some of this Brasso!"

"Now Available In Mint Flavor!"

Somehow, I don't think that would fly....

Wade Hampton "Brasso-Averse" Miller
Old 07-14-2020, 05:42 PM

Hey Wade,

Yeah. And I'll just consider any tales of swappin' spit to be considered 'personal and confidential'.

nudge nudge

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 07-14-2020 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-14-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
....He went on to explain that saliva has the perfect balance between the enzymes to cut through without acting as a solvent for the oil paint.
Reminds me of an old photographers trick when printing from negatives: nose grease. The oil from skin will fill in a scratch on the back of the negative nicely and you usually cannot see it in the final print. Of course, who prints photos from film in a darkroom any more? I have the gear....somewhere in storage. Cannot even give it away any more.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion