The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-06-2020, 06:04 AM

Default EMERALD X10 acoustic volume vs X20

I like the specs of the slimmer neck on the X10 as opposed to the 20. However most of my playing will be done acoustically and volume will be important unplugged. To those of you that have played both, what’s your opinion on volume between the two?
Having not seen either in person, I also worry that the x20 might be a thicker neck as I play mostly with a thumb pick Merle/Chet style and fret the low E with my thumb so not having a thicker neck, especially at the 10/12th fret is important. Please share your thoughts. I know I could order one the way I wanted but there is more money involved as well as the wait. Thanks for any input.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

I have an X10 (custom scale with 24.6") and an X20. Both play great. I find the slimmer neck on the X10 more comfortable, but it is barely significant from my perspective.

My X10 has level 2 pickups, including the Krivo pickup and the 6 individual piezos. When testing my three Emeralds to see if my ears were being subjective, the X20 was slightly louder, the X7 (previous generation) and the X10 were very close (using a decibel meter app on my phone, and the vu meter on a portable recorder). My ears told me the X10 was quieter than the other two.

That said, I love the balanced tone acoustically I get with the X10. Tone is like beauty: dependent on the ears of the beholder. The X20 is richer, more bold. The X7 seems to have more punch than my X10... again, from the "my ears" perspective. Each of them is just the right guitar, depending on what I am looking for.

Some have suggested that the individual saddles and associated "innards" of the pickups affect the tone/volume. I can't say, because I ordered the guitar this way. My feeling is that Krivo on the soundboard has to have some effect. I can see where the individually adjustable saddles could make more separation between the string and the top. So, this suggestion makes sense.

When I was in the consideration stage of this guitar, I did a "chat" with Alistair. I told him I was looking for something smaller than my X20 for traveling. I thought the new (at that time - none "in the wild") X10 might be that "Goldilocks" solution between the X7 and the X10. I was told: "If you want smaller size and acoustic punch, go for the new X7 (physically larger than my previous version); if you want a more electric experience with an acoustic, go for the X10."

That has certainly turned out to be the case. I get great plugged in variety with my X10. But, it really pleases my ears acoustically, as well. I don't often play with others, but my feeling is the X10 isn't going to compete with the volume of a dread... that isn't what it is made for.

For something more familiar to most acoustic players: the X20 is more similar to my Taylor 814 in tone and volume. The X10 is closer to my 522ce 12-fret, but I prefer the "sweeter" tone of the X10, compared to the darker all mahogany 522. For a plugged in experience, I'd suggest the X10 with level 2 pickups is kinda more like a Taylor T5. With the shorter scale I ordered with the X10, it is a 13-fret. Love that neck.

For pure acoustic tone, I'd suggest the X20. To me, it is the Swiss Army Knife of acoustics. You are aware that Emerald can make things custom (for a fee) to get the neck feel you want on any model.

I haven't been on a quest to get "the ideal" guitar. A decade ago, I had a single acoustic guitar. It must have been my ideal, because I didn't have any interest in looking at other guitars. Then, I got on some guitar forums. Any one of the above guitars could be my one and only, but I really enjoy the variety. As an old retired guy, I suppose I could go crazy, buy a sports car (had those in my younger years), and look for a ridiculously young female companion, go back to another electric guitar and an overly huge amp... but, my wife of 48 years doesn't let me date, and I am OK in my role as "trophy husband." My aging back doesn't want to pack heavy equipment. Having a few acoustic guitars is my main vice these days (and some lightweight amp/PAs to amplify them), and I am pretty darn content. That may not help you with making a guitar decision, but consider it to be some advice about enjoying what you have. An X10 or an X20 could be just the right choice.

Good luck with the decisions.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:49 AM

Greetings Captain,

Would you be so kind as to share some of the dimensions of the X-10?

I'm particularly interested in the lower bout width and the depth of this instrument.

Thanks so much!
Old 07-06-2020, 11:02 AM

Captain Jim,
Thanks for your input. Now your statement: I find the slimmer neck on the X10 more comfortable, but it is barely significant from my perspective.

If understand your comment, there isn’t a lot of difference in the x10 vs the 20 neck to speak of?
Old 07-06-2020, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1 View Post
Would you be so kind as to share some of the dimensions of the X-10?
All the dimensions are available on the Emerald website. Here's a comparison chart I put together a while ago from that data:

Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by David Eastwood; 07-06-2020 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinngibson View Post
Having not seen either in person, I also worry that the x20 might be a thicker neck as I play mostly with a thumb pick Merle/Chet style and fret the low E with my thumb so not having a thicker neck, especially at the 10/12th fret is important.
These might help. I don’t have huge hands, but here’s a ‘thumb-over’ D7 grip at the 2nd and 10th frets (ignore my pinky - it’s just hanging out) on my X20. It’s very easy for me at the 2nd - rather less at the 10th, but still doable.

The last one, just for fun, is at the 5th fret of my X20-7, which is about 2 1/4” wide at that point.
Cordoba Stage

Old 07-06-2020, 12:58 PM

I also thumb-over to get F chords (and others with altered bass noted, like F#/D7). I can do this on everything except an actual classical guitar. My hands are not small, but not freakishly large either. I wear XL gloves typically.

Note that the dimensions (I believe) for X7 are the newer Version 3 with angled sound hole, like the other models. Prior Version 2 models with the forward-facing sound hole (pre-spring of 2018) were roughly an inch smaller in overall width and about 1/2" thinner. Those dimensions are not handy, but we have two of those. Think parlor versus 00 size. The current production X7 is very close in dimensions to the X10.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:08 PM

David,
That really helped and I appreciate it. I’ve asked Kevin at Emerald for the width of the fingerboard at the 12th fret on the x20, realizing he must get tons of emails, he hasn’t responded yet. If you get a chance would you be so kind to measure your x20 at the 12th? My Martin 0000-18 is 2-1/4” and I can get by with that in most cases if the neck doesn’t taper to be too fat in that area for the thumb over.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
David,
That really helped and I appreciate it. I’ve asked Kevin at Emerald for the width of the fingerboard at the 12th fret on the x20, realizing he must get tons of emails, he hasn’t responded yet. If you get a chance would you be so kind to measure your x20 at the 12th? My Martin 0000-18 is 2-1/4” and I can get by with that in most cases if the neck doesn’t taper to be too fat in that area for the thumb over.
You're welcome.

My X20 is also 2 1/4" wide at the 12th fret.
Cordoba Stage

Old 07-06-2020, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Note that the dimensions (I believe) for X7 are the newer Version 3 with angled sound hole, like the other models. Prior Version 2 models with the forward-facing sound hole (pre-spring of 2018) were roughly an inch smaller in overall width and about 1/2" thinner. Those dimensions are not handy, but we have two of those. Think parlor versus 00 size. The current production X7 is very close in dimensions to the X10.
You're correct, Earl - the dimensions on the chart are for the current X7 with the offset soundhole.
Cordoba Stage

Old 07-06-2020, 04:19 PM

I thought so David. I saved your image to my computer last time around to have handy. If my memory serves, I also answered a similar question a few months ago by measuring our Version 2 X7's. (BTW Version 1 is the really old center sound hole X7 from several years ago).

If we ever get back to Lino Lakes again to visit the B-I-L, I will give you and Tony a heads-up. Perhaps we can get a small CF jam going in MN. I don't see that happening this year, though.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
If we ever get back to Lino Lakes again to visit the B-I-L, I will give you and Tony a heads-up. Perhaps we can get a small CF jam going in MN. I don't see that happening this year, though.
That would be fun. Something to look forward to in saner (and safer) times, I hope!
Cordoba Stage

Old 07-06-2020, 04:51 PM

Captain Jim,

I made an error going from memory and I just got home and checked after thinking about it all day. My Collings dread is 2-1/4 at the 12th but the Martin is only 2-1/8” at the 12th. So the X20 might be a problem as I use an F position with my thumb over the low E in that area quite a bit. Now if the edge of the fingerboard rolls off all the way down then it might be fine but if it squares off on the edge it’s tough for me to note that E cleanly. I may have to study some more about that before ordering anything.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:53 PM

Maybe the X10 might be smaller at the 12th so I may have to sacrifice one way or another.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Maybe the X10 might be smaller at the 12th so I may have to sacrifice one way or another.
I think you are fast approaching (or have reached) Analysis Paralysis.

Buy something!!
Cordoba Stage

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber