The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-15-2018, 12:55 PM

Default When did Emerald change the bridge on the X20?

Okay, history fans!

Looking at the new Emerald models, I noticed that the pointy decoration on the bridge is on the bass side, and checking the current X20s, I see the same thing.

However… my late 2012 X20 (the first blue X20, as I'm always reminding everybody) has its pointy thang on the treble side instead.

Does anyone know when this happened, and what (if any) other changes have been made to the X20 over the years?

Mahalo ā nui loa!

Old 06-15-2018, 02:40 PM

The pointy decoration on my X20 bridge is on the bass side, alining between D & A string.
The build on my X20 started fall of 2016 completed Jan 2017.
My pointy decoration on my 2016 X7's bridge is on the bass side also.
I don't know of any other changes over the years.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

Last edited by 121; 06-15-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121 View Post
The pointy thing on my X20 bridge is on the bass side, alining between D & A string. The build on my X20 started fall of 2016 completed Jan 2017.
Thanks for that…

Now we’ve got the style change date narrowed down to sometime between January 2013 and fall of 2016.

Next?

Old 06-15-2018, 08:44 PM

Uncle Pauhana... so was yours the second or third blue one again? I forgot. Was it an X 19 or something?
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 06-16-2018, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

Pointy thing on the bass side...

Because, in the words of the philosopher Meghan Trainor: "It's all about that bass, 'bout that bass, no treble."
Old 06-16-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post

Because, in the words of the philosopher Meghan Trainor: "It's all about that bass, 'bout that bass, no treble."
I know you have heard this probably a thousand times, but that top is gorgeous. The X20 is a bit too large for me and I don't want to pay the upcharge for a custom scale, but the new X7 is looking so attractive in specs. I like that the back and sides of your guitar are traditional glossy black. That's a really nice guitar Jim!
Old 06-16-2018, 09:28 PM

My 2013 X20 has the point on the treble side. I bought it used so I don't know the exact build date, but if there is a way to tell from the serial number I can let you know.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:

My word... that photo is downright poisonous! What wood is that? Cocobolo? What a beauty. That's going to haunt me. If I got a Woody, I'd also go with black back and sides instead or colored ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I know you have heard this probably a thousand times, but that top is gorgeous. The X20 is a bit too large for me and I don't want to pay the upcharge for a custom scale, but the new X7 is looking so attractive in specs. I like that the back and sides of your guitar are traditional glossy black. That's a really nice guitar Jim!

I've got to agree with you, steelvibe. I'm also leaning towards an X7, even though a shortscale X20 with extended heel access would be my dream ideal.

The question for me though would be woody top or not, and Crystal Ice back and sides or gloss.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muser View Post
My word... that photo is downright poisonous! What wood is that? Cocobolo?
I think it is louro preto.

Last edited by steelvibe; 06-17-2018 at 01:52 AM. Reason: wrong wood mentioned
Old 06-17-2018, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muser View Post
My word... that photo is downright poisonous! What wood is that? Cocobolo? What a beauty. That's going to haunt me. If I got a Woody, I'd also go with black back and sides instead or colored ones.
Yes, steelvibe got it right on: louro preto. I was considering a custom with cocobolo with black back and sides when I saw this as one of Alistair's second Select Series. It is more subtle in person than when photographed/viewed with great lighting. It makes me smile every time I look at it. But, it is the sound and the playing that makes me pick it up and play. Often.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:05 AM

My first X7 Opus (now in the possession of my good friend Patrick) has the pointy bit on the treble side,
I think it was made sometime in 2013.

It has a green gloss weave top, with plain black back-n-sides in a kind of knobbly finish with no weave showing through.

It plays and sounds EXACTLY like my 2017, bass-side-pointy-bridge, all gloss red weave X7 Artisan.

Oh yeah, another one for you Emerald historians, the top weaves on these two guitars run in opposite diagonals .
Old 06-19-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Uncle Pauhana... so was yours the second or third blue one again? I forgot. Was it an X 19 or something?
Mine was the either the first blue one, or the (anti)first blue one, depending on which direction time was flowing in Ireland that day. The model number is X20.9999999, 'cause it's just that little extra bit more awesome.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:

That wood looks spectacular against the black carbon! Much more dramatic than it would be with the amber weave, although that of course looks great with many woods too.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumokids View Post
My 2013 X20 has the point on the treble side. I bought it used so I don't know the exact build date, but if there is a way to tell from the serial number I can let you know.
So that brings us into 2013, anyway… thanks for your contribution, and enjoy your X20!

Old 06-19-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
My first X7 Opus (now in the possession of my good friend Patrick) has the pointy bit on the treble side,
I think it was made sometime in 2013.

It has a green gloss weave top, with plain black back-n-sides in a kind of knobbly finish with no weave showing through.

It plays and sounds EXACTLY like my 2017, bass-side-pointy-bridge, all gloss red weave X7 Artisan.

Oh yeah, another one for you Emerald historians, the top weaves on these two guitars run in opposite diagonals .
"Oh yeah, another one for you Emerald historians, the top weaves on these two guitars run in opposite diagonals."

Okay, now I'm fascinated and baffled at the same time… and kind of amazed that you noticed this detail! Good work!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber