The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-02-2011, 07:20 AM

Default Apogee Duet - Lion Update - Maestro 1 Issues?

As many of you know . . . yesterday, Apogee 'finally' came out with their Lion software update for their (now legacy) Duet interface.

Based on some sketchy details I have seen . . . once installed, the Maestro 1 software (that came with the Duet) may not be fully functional or even function at all.

Can someone shed some light on this? Have any of you Duet users completed the Lion update yet? Please tell me how it went and does your Maestro 1 work or even exist after you did the update.

BOTTOM LINE: If I do the Lion update, will I have the use of Maestro with my Apogee Duet?

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'

Last edited by Steve Berger; 09-02-2011 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:35 AM

i have the apogee ensemble but have not upgraded to lion yet.

have you contacted apogee?

here is their contact page and i notice that they have live chat so you may as well take advantage of it.

http://www.apogeedigital.com/company/contact.php

play music!
mikeB.

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 09-02-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
i have the apogee ensemble but have not upgraded to lion yet.

have you contacted apogee?

here is their contact page and i notice that they have live chat so you may as well take advantage of it.

http://www.apogeedigital.com/company/contact.php

play music!
mikeB.
Thanks . . . but I've tried chatting Live with Apogee on other issues and have found them to be less than helpful. Still love my Duet though.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

The general rule with digital/computer recording and new versions of operating systems is:

WAIT.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Default Totally Agree With Sdelsolray

Aloha,

Agree with Sdel, who first introduced me to the concept:

For stability's sake, DO NOT upgrade unless you have to. Or, if the new version has something that is Earth-shatteringly great, then upgrade. Otherwise? Hang back a couple of upgrades til they work the bugs out.

Another thing is to use a dedicated computer for recording only & don't do everyday computing on it. Fewer hassles w/ upgrades.

I use a Duet 1 & an Ensemble as interfaces & don't plan on upgrading to the new software.

Chill.

alohachris
Old 09-03-2011, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
The general rule with digital/computer recording and new versions of operating systems is:

WAIT.
This cannot be over emphasized having been with PT since 2003 I routinely wait 4- 6 months to a year. Many do do not, but I prefer not being a beta testor.
in fact pt is on 9.05 lyon I am on 9.01 OS 10.6.5 things are running very smoothly.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-03-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
This cannot be over emphasized having been with PT since 2003 I routinely wait 4- 6 months to a year. Many do do not, but I prefer not being a beta testor.
in fact pt is on 9.05 lyon I am on 9.01 OS 10.6.5 things are running very smoothly.
PT? . . . . .

Old 09-03-2011, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Berger View Post
PT? . . . . .
Sorry PT (acronym) for Pro Tools

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 09-03-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Sorry PT (acronym) for Pro Tools
Thanks . . . I'm just a bottom-feeding GB user.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Absolutely nothing wrong with GB. I have heard some very impressive music recorded in Garage Band. Plus It's a great way to start and learn for free. Then depending on goals and situation at some point if one wants to consider stepping up to more features, it seems to me especially if you are using Apogee, the next logical progression would be to Logic. Frankly in this day, no need functionally, to even consider PT unless #1 you really prefer the work flow of PT or #2 you are a comercial studio and paying clients are demanding it.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 09-03-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Absolutely nothing wrong with GB. I have heard some very impressive music recorded in Garage Band. Plus It's a great way to start and learn for free. Then depending on goals and situation at some point if one wants to consider stepping up to more features, it seems to me especially if you are using Apogee, the next logical progression would be to Logic. Frankly in this day, no need functionally, to even consider PT unless #1 you really prefer the work flow of PT or #2 you are a comercial studio and paying clients are demanding it.
Thanks Kev, I appreciate your post. It'll probably sound funny, but for me, GB is probably just the right program. I'm an intermediate (at best) player in my mid 60's who plays mainly solo finger style acoustic guitar for friends and family. At this stage, I'd rather be putting my energy into actually playing the guitar rather than dealing with the recording process. Truth be told, my last two recordings (that I have received some of my best feedback on) were made with my Zoom H2 sitting right in front of an open sliding glass door ( to let the breeze in) and right next to my two loudly- snoring Pugs. (I did import the WAV file into GB for some EQing and reverb).

That either means I'm not making optimum use of the Duet, Rode NT4 and GB or that the Zoom H2 can make a heck of a no muss no fuss recording.

Sorry for the long post.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:33 AM

There is a way to have your cake and eat it: maintain a bootable backup. Create a second partition the same size as the one you use for OS & apps and on the same HDD. Before you try out a new piece of software, refresh your OS/apps backup. Now if something goes wrong with the update, you can just boot from the backup partition and carry on where you left off.

My own OS (Gentoo) is a rolling release, ie updates are released daily and I'll usually install the latest bits once a week or so. However, even with an OS with a much slower update cycle, this can be very useful. You'll always be guaranteed no down time and so you're free to experiment with OS updates and other new software.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD