The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-27-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown View Post
Thanks Joseph,

I suppose there is no good reason then, not to record in WAV, even if it's just for YouTube? Am I correct that YouTube does not accept WAV?
Wave or Aiff makes more sense. As I said you can always "dumb down" (sonically speaking) from Wave to MP3. You can't "restore" fidelity by converting MP3's to Wave.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Joseph,

I suppose there is no good reason then, not to record in WAV, even if it's just for YouTube? Am I correct that YouTube does not accept WAV?
You can upload WAV as part of a video, yes. or at least uncompressed audio, depending on what your video editor supports

As far as I know (and no one but You Tube engineers know exactly what You Tube does on any given day), if you upload mp3, they have to reconvert it - basically expand it back and then re-encode it to their sample rate (and to mono at the lower video qualities), so you're going to get double the damage if you upload mp3. You Tube tells you to upload mp3 somewhere, which I suspect is just because they think most people worry more about upload time than quality.

Last edited by Doug Young; 04-27-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:13 PM

That's great info Doug.

I'm going to try WAV next time - maybe the sound quality will improve. It's pretty dismal now, probably for multiple reasons; but knowing this about mp3 will be one step in the right direction.

I think it's the Flip camcorder program that is not allowing me to use WAV when I make the movie. I believe I could use Windows Movie Maker instead and that should allow WAV audio files. I also have considered purchasing "Reaper" as a DAW and wonder if it can do the movie also, or am I confused about what a DAW can do?(high liklihood).

YouTube: http://www.YouTube.com/wfbrown1234

Last edited by bbrown; 04-27-2011 at 12:24 PM. Reason: added
Old 04-27-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Joe, Pokiehat,

Are you recording in WAV or MP3? I use MP3 because YouTube will not accept WAV (or maybe it's just my Flip Camcorder program that I use to make videos that will not accept WAV - have to check on which is the limiting factor).

Does it really make any difference - WAV vs. MP3 in sound for YouTube or CD?
WAV takes up a lot more space!
YouTube will accept PCM WAV as part of a .MOV or .MTS file.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 04-30-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Wave or Aiff makes more sense. As I said you can always "dumb down" (sonically speaking) from Wave to MP3. You can't "restore" fidelity by converting MP3's to Wave.
You need a "Lame Encoder" comvert to mp3. For some reason I cannot download that. Spent way too much time today trying to get a wav into
mp3 so that I could put up a YouTube video using my Flip camcorder program. I used "WAV" as the recording format on my Zoom H2, as Fran Guidry suggested, hoping for better sound resolution.

Since WAV is not accepted by the Flip program, I went to Windows Movie Maker (spent an hour trying to learn how that works) - that allowed the wav file but not the Flip Video mpeg4 format (COL - see abbrev. key).

So after hours of this HWTPASA (Horrible Way To Spend A Saturday Afternoon), I found a converter program to take the video to mpg, which the Windows Movie Maker does seem to accept (God willing - it's still converting).

Stay tuned for another episode in the ongoing saga of......
....... "Guitar Videos for Ludite Dummies". Can I hire a 14 year old for a few hours - they always seem to know this stuff!

Abbrev. Key: COL = Curse Out Loud

Old 04-30-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
YouTube will accept PCM WAV as part of a .MOV or .MTS file.

Fran
Maybe so, but what video program accepts a MOV video file as well as a WAV audio?

Movie Maker does not - tried that today.

Old 05-01-2011, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Maybe so, but what video program accepts a MOV video file as well as a WAV audio?

Movie Maker does not - tried that today.
I sympathize with your frustration. Video formats seem to involve endless complexity. The issue is the evolving bandwidth/quality/compression/processing tradeoff.

In audio, 44.1/16 PCM covers the bandwidth of the human audio system, but the bandwidth of the human visual system is enormously greater. Raw uncompressed video files at HD resolution strain even the latest technologies for data transfer and storage, so compression is a standard part of video tech.

But compression is a moving target. Greater processing power in recent generation CPUs and GPUs (graphic processing units) allow new compression algorithms to work in real time.

All this means that video is always in a state of change, so learning and upgrading is part of the game. And if techie issues are not fun for you, digital video is likely to be annoying.

Now, to answer your original question, you can use REAPER (on a PC) to generate .MOV files with x.264 video compression and PCM audio. I do it in Edius Neo 2.5. There are other free solutions but they get really techie really fast (AVIsynth anyone?). There are a number of "consumer level" video editors out there and they all seem to offer free download trial versions, but installing and evaluating a bunch of video software is pretty bit-twiddly too.

I kind of have a feeling, though, that this emphasis on tech has led you astray. I've just sampled your vids again and I think you can up the quality of your soundtracks without getting deep into tech. Please contact me via PM if you'd like to discuss some possible tweaks.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 05-01-2011, 04:27 AM

Thanks for the reply Fran.

I did also download the free Reaper evaluation - so I was trying to learn so many new things yesterday that I was sort of going nuts! It all started with just one thing - simply wanting to record in "WAV" - that's all. But one thing leads to another and every program I tried seemed to require something new or different - before you know it you have 10 programs running and it gets out of hand. Where's that 14 year old kid who can push a few buttons and make it all work for this old foggie?

My 2 goals right now are -

1. Getting "WAV" files from my Zoom H2 recorder onto a video for YouTube (hoping it might improve the sound quality a little).

2. Figuring out how to synch my audio to my video with a simple video making program.

3. OK, one more..........spending more time (I work long days and have precious little) doing what I enjoy, which is playing and getting better with my guitar and less time playing with my computer (must admit it's not fun for me).

--Bill

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD