The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-14-2020, 12:53 PM

Just a bit off topic, does anyone find the term ' Sticky Snark ' a bit amusing?

Sounds like a gooey booger.

J
Old 07-14-2020, 05:08 PM

Or an obnoxious person. "Hey...quit being such a sticky snark"!!!
Old 07-15-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakybird View Post
I have two Unitunes. The batteries last for months. I have a Korg tuner that goes through batteries really quick.

I have a Snark too, and in room lighting, the display is so clear. No squinting.
I also have a Unitune that's still on its original battery from over a year ago. Since it shuts off after 3 minutes, I don't have to worry about remembering to turn it off.

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind." Twelfth Doctor
Old 07-15-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Snark user for a long time... had both the red ones and the black ones get all "gooey" on me...
I wonder if this could be related to air quality. Then again, I live in LA and have never had a gooey Snark.

You sticky-Snark people -- do you keep them in the case with your guitar?

Couch Standards
Old 07-15-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121 View Post
I've been using Snark tuners but I'm not completely satisfied with them and have been
looking for a better alternative.
I've not tried these TC tuners because of high battery usage reports,
is there any merit to these claims ?
I have three of the TC tuners. No unusual battery drain. Wayyyyy nicer than Snarks! (And again, I loved Snarks for several years!..)
Old 07-15-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittoon View Post
I have three of the TC tuners. No unusual battery drain. Wayyyyy nicer than Snarks! (And again, I loved Snarks for several years!..)
Tried to buy a TC tuner, very light on the ground trying to buy one in Australia? No stock anywhere.

"Never take a fool with you when you go, because you can always pick one up when you get there"! Billy Connolly.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:15 PM

I had a sticky one and that same one ceased to work. It was the most expensive of the tuners I owned.

I have other tuners that I find are much more accurate and I can rely on them. With Snark tuners I have almost always had to make adjustments by ear. I only use my Snarks now as I can leave them in the other room for when I do string changes.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-15-2020, 08:17 PM

I had one turn sticky. It was at the beach so was exposed to salt air and also heat and cold when no one was there. I just threw it away as it was under $10 new. I did get Snark to send me some replacement pads for the spring clip when they came off of one that I owned. I still have one with a zip tie around the prongs to hold a broken one in place. Works just fine.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Old 07-16-2020, 07:30 AM

Reading Snark comments over the years from Snark users is the biggest reason I’d never buy one.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 07-16-2020, 12:16 PM

A repeating theme for Snark owners is that they once thought they were great when they first came out, but have moved on to other tuners due to problems with the Snarks.

Count me in that camp. I loved Snarks at first and were my only tuners for a few years. But, then they started to break and I've also had them become sticky. Moved to Uni/Polytunes and found they are much better than Snarks in my opinion.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 08-15-2020, 06:47 PM

An update to this post - Snark made it right, and kindly sent a replacement tuner at no charge, for the broken unit I received as a gift. I can now happily affirm that their customer service is as excellent as others have shared! Back to being a satisfied Snark fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
I had a Snark tuner break on me within 6 months of purchase, and wrote to them. I got an email requesting photo, original sales receipt, address, and statement that they'd only help if it's still under warranty. I had lost the receipt, so I have permanently bailed on Snark. I can't fault them for requiring full documentation that I'm the original buyer of their product, but it sure wasn't the warm, trusting customer service I thought I might encounter based on glowing reviews here. Very average support, and for a faulty product. I sure don't plan to buy them again.

I'm glad the OP and others have experienced better responses. Perhaps I caught them on a bad day.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Reading Snark comments over the years from Snark users is the biggest reason I’d never buy one.
Since I'm (under normal circumstances) both a studio engineer and a live mixer and get to tidy up after gigs, I'll never have to buy a Snark tuner. But I have at least half a dozen and they work fine for me. As an FOH mixer I'm not nuts about live players using them (and video people hate the look), but that's only because they don't mute the player's signal the way a pedal does.

Couch Standards
Old 08-16-2020, 05:26 AM

I've got 2 sticky Snarks right now in my studio. I called and they are sending me a new one (both are past the warranty period). Yes, I have had them break at the pivot, and have had problems with the little rubber pads falling off, and yes, they can be hard to see in bright sunlight. But for some strange reason, I still use them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion