The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-15-2020, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Edit: BTW, I would never buy a domestic car for its resale value.
I would never buy any car for its resale value.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-15-2020, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Eastman guitars are re-selling higher than many others (again, see earlier in the thread for details), including North American brands, b/c of their quality and relatively low supply. The occasional deal still pops up, but they're becoming increasingly rare, compared with the overall used market (which has been inventory-heavy for years).
This has been my experience as a very new Eastman hunter. It is why I pulled the trigger on a new Eastman - the difference between a new thermo cured model and a preowned is so negligible, it was worth the extra for the warranty.

I don't know that it will stay this way, but I've been shocked at just how high Eastman resale % is.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 07-15-2020, 10:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
As I mentioned earlier, resale depends on how it's defined. If I buy a $4000 guitar and sell it for $3400, I've maintained an 85% value... but also, I've taken a $600 depreciated price.

If I buy a similar guitar, but only paid $1600 and sell it for $1200, the percentage is only 75%, but the $$$ lost is only $400. So, from that standpoint, the loss per guitar is less (not to mention the things I can do with the $2400 I didn't spend on the original purchase).

That being said, Eastman guitars are re-selling higher than many others (again, see earlier in the thread for details), including North American brands, b/c of their quality and relatively low supply. The occasional deal still pops up, but they're becoming increasingly rare, compared with the overall used market (which has been inventory-heavy for years).

Edit: BTW, I would never buy a domestic car for its resale value.
I tend to stay with the same guitars year after year. I don't think I've sold off an acoustic that cost more than $1000. They all have their merits.

Vida, Eastmans sure have burnished their rep in the last 5-6 years, haven't they?

sm
Old 07-16-2020, 12:04 AM
Charter Member

Yep, Scott. We repeat these same conversations every so often, but the acceptance has gotten a lot better over the last five years.

I've sold many guitars at various price points, as I moved more and more into Eastman over the last 3-4 years. But I'm not eager to let go of any of my Eastman guitars (at least, not right now), which has created a problem. A really, really great problem, ha!

(still waiting to see photos of your E40OM-SB).
Old 07-16-2020, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Why oh why does every discussion of Chinese made guitars have to dissipate into a socio-political discussion? ..
You know the answer to this.

For some it is anxiety about a rapidly changing world. It has little to do with guitars per se.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Why oh why does every discussion of Chinese made guitars have to dissipate into a socio-political discussion? Eastman makes terrific guitars at decent prices. Buy or don't buy them - I don't care...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post

For some it is anxiety about a rapidly changing world. It has little to do with guitars per se.
I do know the answer - my question was rhetorical; and as you so accurately responded, "It has little to do with guitars." However, this is a guitar forum, and we should be able to discuss guitars without going down the same socioeconomic/political rabbit hole because they're made in China...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-16-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post

Excellent post. As hard as accepting change is for most of us, trying to manage change at warp speed can be a frightening thing.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
The first Hyundais reminded me of the first Japanese cars that entered the U.S. market. They were a bit tinny, and the interiors were kind of cheap, but mechanically they pretty sound. Over time the quality improved dramatically. The same has happened with Hyundai and Kia, so much so that my latest car is a Kia. BTW, my newest guitar, a Gretsch G5420TG, is made in Korea and the quality is outstanding.
I can second all that.
At age 78, I remember the coming of the Japanese cars.
By 1971, a Datsun 510 was considered a budget version of my BMW 2002.
Decades later, I bought a new 1991 Mazda truck and kept it 17 years, a new 2006 Scion xB and kept it 10 years, and a new 2008 Subaru Forester which is still like new. All made in Japan and nothing ever goes wrong with them.
In 2006 I bought a Breedlove 12-string made in Korea, an easy-playing jewel.
And yesterday I sold the D-35 that I bought new in 1969, deciding to keep, as my last guitar, a Chinese Eastman that I liked better.
Old 04-20-2021, 02:57 PM

So what's a good % below MAP price to expect when buying an Eastman guitar. That is, what's a good deal price to shoot for? I'm turning 40 so I want to cause some damage to my bank account. I got the ok from my wife to buy a Martin D45. However, if I like the Eastman E40D, which is the closest to the D45, I'll get that and see if I can also get an alternative to a Martin om28.
Yamaha CPX1200ii.
Crafter ML Rose 30th Anniv.
Crafter Twin Bird Anniv.

Nylon:
Yamaha NTX1200 & NTX700
Yamaha NCX1200
Takamine EC132SC
Cordoba GK Studio Negra
Old 04-20-2021, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Your best bet is to call online dealers and ask them. With the short inventories, nationwide, many dealers aren't offering any discount below MAP (or at least not what they used to offer). If you can get 10% below MAP, I'd say your doing well, given the current environment.

If you can find an E40D, grab it... I have two of them with plans to keep the ones I like best. That was four years ago, and I still have them both!
Old 04-20-2021, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvenom View Post
So what's a good % below MAP price to expect when buying an Eastman guitar. That is, what's a good deal price to shoot for? I'm turning 40 so I want to cause some damage to my bank account. I got the ok from my wife to buy a Martin D45. However, if I like the Eastman E40D, which is the closest to the D45, I'll get that and see if I can also get an alternative to a Martin om28.
Yeah, I wouldn't get your hopes up. I've purchased 3 new guitars during the pandemic (Larrivee, Waterloo, Collings), and there was no movement on the normal asking price, which for Eastmans is 20% off the MSRP shown on Eastman's website.

But you never know. I stumbled into a good deal on a new Eastman E20OM 3 weeks ago. It was listed at 10% below MAP. It was new, but the card that came with it said it was built 2 years earlier. Maybe that was why.

Never hurts to ask. But given the current supply shortage there isn't much incentive for dealers to discount off MAP. The store I bought the E20OM at said their next shipment of Eastmans was 7 months out.

If you can find one you're interested in, go for it. Even at MAP, Eastman's are a good deal.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't get your hopes up. I've purchased 3 new guitars during the pandemic (Larrivee, Waterloo, Collings), and there was no movement on the normal asking price, which for Eastmans is 20% off the MSRP shown on Eastman's website.

But you never know. I stumbled into a good deal on a new Eastman E20OM 3 weeks ago. It was listed at 10% below MAP. It was new, but the card that came with it said it was built 2 years earlier. Maybe that was why.

Never hurts to ask. But given the current supply shortage there isn't much incentive for dealers to discount off MAP. The store I bought the E20OM at said their next shipment of Eastmans was 7 months out.

If you can find one you're interested in, go for it. Even at MAP, Eastman's are a good deal.
If that is the case, I'll just wait until inventories are back to normal. What % below Eastman's MAP would you have considered to be a good deal before the pandemic? Thank you.
Yamaha CPX1200ii.
Crafter ML Rose 30th Anniv.
Crafter Twin Bird Anniv.

Nylon:
Yamaha NTX1200 & NTX700
Yamaha NCX1200
Takamine EC132SC
Cordoba GK Studio Negra
Old 04-20-2021, 11:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvenom View Post
If that is the case, I'll just wait until inventories are back to normal. What % below Eastman's MAP would you have considered to be a good deal before the pandemic? Thank you.
I think that depends on the dealer, as well as the model. The less expensive models have less wiggle room than the E40D that you're looking at. Ted at LA Guitar Sales (one of the largest Eastman dealers) used to offer AGF members 10% off MAP. If you call him, he'll always give you his best price.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion