The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-02-2011, 12:30 PM

Default Mic stand for acoustic recording

Right now I have a pretty clunky Hercules stand that I bought, I paid 50$ for it and I think I wasted my money, The adjustment on it is horrible if you are sitting down.

Can someone recommend me a good adjustable stand for sitting down recording an acoustic? And a stand that is not really expensive!
Old 09-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rin View Post
Right now I have a pretty clunky Hercules stand that I bought, I paid 50$ for it and I think I wasted my money, The adjustment on it is horrible if you are sitting down.

Can someone recommend me a good adjustable stand for sitting down recording an acoustic? And a stand that is not really expensive!
Hi d4…
I always look for mic stands which are sturdy, and not intrusive, and able to have 'accessories' added.

I like a heavier base so it can free stand with a fairly long boom with a mic attached to the other end, without getting in the way of a player who is sitting.

But I have raised stands to full height, then boomed stands from the side of the player coming back down, or at an oblique angle to them, and dropped the mics down via overhead locations for recording sessions because there is no audience who cares if it looks goofy.

My stands need to fit an isolation mount, and any adjustment is done either before sitting or settling in, or by another person. I have never managed to locate a self-adjusting stand (nor when I ran the studio did I want artists adjusting their own mics).

I have managed to rig them so I can swing them into place after sitting by not tightening everything down to earthquake-safe levels.

I also place the mic base on carpet pads to isolate it from floor noise if on a wooden surface (on concrete it doesn't matter). And with foot tappers, I tape their toes to the floor (kidding).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-02-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:

I use a stand that was sold as a drum mic stand, it's a DR branded item, tripod base, short shaft and two part telescoping boom. It works very well while sitting.

This http://www.guitarcenter.com/DR-Pro-D...41-i1170321.gc looks like the one I use. I'm sure most brands will include something similar.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 09-02-2011, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

I use these:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/DR-Pro-D...41-i1170321.gc

basically drum mic stands. They're smaller, and the booms don't take up the whole room. They're plenty stable, I use them for my Brauner mics, which are big and heavy. Sand bags, available from photo supply houses are also useful for making stands more stable.

Edit: Oops - Fran beat me to the same stand recommendation!
Old 09-02-2011, 01:27 PM

The best mic stands I've come across are made by Beyerdynamic. Great quality and they stay put!
Old 09-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
...Sand bags, available from photo supply houses are also useful for making stands more stable.

Hi Doug…

Yes, I forgot to mention sand bags. Stabalizers for about any stand/situation.

And d4…
I forgot to ask, are you considering stands for single, or multiple mics; small diaphragm or large diaphragm; just instrumental or instrumental and/or vocal use?

The reason I ask is I almost never have less than 2 and as many as 3-4 stands in use just for recording instrumentals...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-02-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Doug…

Yes, I forgot to mention sand bags. Stabalizers for about any stand/situation.

And d4…
I forgot to ask, are you considering stands for single, or multiple mics; small diaphragm or large diaphragm; just instrumental or instrumental and/or vocal use?

The reason I ask is I almost never have less than 2 and as many as 3-4 stands in use just for recording instrumentals...

Guitar only, Possibly another mic in the future. Not sure what combination I would use, I just have the NT3 right now.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
I use these:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/DR-Pro-D...41-i1170321.gc

basically drum mic stands. They're smaller, and the booms don't take up the whole room. They're plenty stable, I use them for my Brauner mics, which are big and heavy. Sand bags, available from photo supply houses are also useful for making stands more stable.

Can large diaphragm mic's be used with this stand as well?
Old 09-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Can large diaphragm mic's be used with this stand as well?
I use them with everything, including the Brauner VM1s, large diaphragm tube mics.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I use them with everything, including the Brauner VM1s, large diaphragm tube mics.
Kewl, I suppose they always come with adapters
Old 09-02-2011, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Kewl, I suppose they always come with adapters
The stands just come with the standard threaded ends. Most mics come with the appropriate mic mounts that thread onto a stand
Old 09-02-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
The stands just come with the standard threaded ends. Most mics come with the appropriate mic mounts that thread onto a stand
Ok, As you can tell I don't know much about mic's. I'm just starting out on this whole recording thing.

That stands looks exactly what I want, Something short but can be adjusted. I will try to sell the one I have because it's only good for standing up singing .
Old 09-02-2011, 06:44 PM

That's why I love this forum! I've been struggling with having 2 mic stands for recording acoustic for years for all the reasons mentioned. These stands look perfect. Thanks Doug, Fran, Larry and other contributors.

Now, if I can just borrow a couple of those Brauner VM1s from you Doug, I'll be set!
Old 09-03-2011, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Mic stands are one more thing that one can spend a wide range of money on.

The DR looks to be a good value . Also AKG makes one a fairly heavy pro grade type model In the $ 100 +. range

At the upper end you have products like Latch lake . and this one I ran across on a Gear Slutz thread. http://http://www.enhancedaudio.ie/a...ced-audio.html

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-03-2011, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

+1 on the DR Pro Stands. They are a bit more expensive than your standard Proline/On-Stage Stands boom stands, but they're definitely more robust, sturdy, and adjustable. For shows where I just need one mic stand, it's always the DR, and not the Prolines that get the spot. Definitely worth the $70.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD