The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-05-2003, 08:50 AM

Default I-beam/second source answers needed please!

I just purchased a Rane AP13 and it works beautifully with my blender equipped 814ce. Very versatile. I'll post a full review of the Rane after I try it with my 410rce ES...I'll have it back next week...

...My questions are as follows; I have the Prefix in my 355e and in order to make it more compatible with my 814's Rane setup, I'd like to add a similar second source to the existing UST. Would the passive I-Beam be a good choice for this, or is there a condenser available that would work better? The Rane has a piezo channel and a mic channel, (with phantom power available). Will the I-Mix retrofit into the Prefix hole? I know the Baggs preamp would be unnecessary with the Rane, but it would make the 355 easier to use if I was out without the Rane.

Any other solutions/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-05-2003, 10:48 AM
Luthier

Go to the link below, it should answer all your questions

Imix Retro

Woody Boyd
Luthier
"Home of the banjo eating HOG"
Old 10-05-2003, 12:33 PM

Thanks Woody. I've been following that thread since it started, but it doesn't answer whether the passive I-Beam, (no preamp), would take the place of the condenser in the blender, (and do as good a job. I was hoping to hear from someone who is using a passive I-Beam with an external preamp), or whether the Imix will retrofit into the Prefix hole. Is the Prefix hole the same as the Blender hole? I would assume they are, but I wanted to make sure without having to take my guitars apart to find out.

Thanks again for the reply!
Old 10-05-2003, 02:54 PM

I have forgotten the specs on the Rane AP13, but I don't believe it has a high enough input impedance on the mic channel to accept a passive iBeam or any other passive high impedance pickup. It's going to have to be active unless you add another preamp in between the passive iBeam and the AP13.

The Prefix has the same cutout dimensions as the OBB so the I-Mix should fit. This would be a very nice setup. You can then send each pickup seperately to the Rane AP13 via a TRS cable and EQ each pickup seperately to get the best out of them. To get an idea on how to EQ each pickup seperately, check out Chris Proctor's website at:
http://www.chrisproctor.com/cpgear.html

It's pretty neat stuff.

GL
Old 10-05-2003, 03:49 PM

Excellent info on the site. Thank you. His clips sound great!

It prompted me to download the specs for the AP13 and the mic channel is designed for pickups as well as mics. In fact either input will run a magnetic pickup as long as phantom power is off.

I've been running the AP13 much the same way as it's described on Chris' site. Using the UST for the low end woof and rolling off the highs and mids and then using the mic for the high end sparkle, rolling off the lows and mids. It sounds excellent!...with very little feedback. That's why I'm looking into a way to add the second source to my 355.

So the I-beam is more akin to a magnetic pup than a condenser mic. That really helps and I thank you for the tip, Gordon!
Old 10-05-2003, 05:06 PM

You welcome RGB. I wouldn't say the iBeam is more akin to mag pickup than it is to a condensor mic. It's a soundboard pickup. It will sound more like a condensor mic than a mag soundhole pickup.

I just checked out the specs on the Rane AP13 and the mic channel. It's input is only rated at 20kOhms which is far below what's needed for the passive iBeam. 1 MegOhm is what's typically needed for high impedance pickups. However, I just remembered that you can use the pickup channel for the passive iBeam and use the mic channel for your current active Prefix since it's impedance is around 3kOhms. This should work great. Chris Proctor is using a passive iBeam into the pickup channel of the AP13 and a passive Sunrise mag pickup into the mic channel on his 12 string (I've seen his setup up close). The Sunrise, along with most mag soundhole pickups, has an output impedance of less than 20kOhms so it works perfectly fine into the mic channel of the AP13.

GL
Old 10-05-2003, 05:30 PM

Quote:
You welcome RGB. I wouldn't say the iBeam is more akin to mag pickup than it is to a condensor mic. It's a soundboard pickup. It will sound more like a condensor mic than a mag soundhole pickup.
I'm so confused!

Thanks for clearing that up and taking the time to research this for me. You've really been a big help!
Old 10-07-2003, 07:35 AM

I just picked up a K&K Silver Bullet condenser to use as my second source in my 355. Sure couldn't beat the price and it's listed in the AP13's specs as being compatible.

This brings up a couple of new questions, however.

1) Does anyone here have any experience with this mic?

2) What would be the best area for placement?

I'm sure I could figure it out by trial and error, but if someone has already been through it, I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification