The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
I have to agree here. I've listened to all the versions of this tune Joe has put up and The Olson sounds far and away the best of them all to me.

Great playing Joe, and beautiful guitar Jim!
Thanks, John!

For this tune the Olson might be the better fit indeed.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berf View Post
I'm a big fan of all your music Mau and really enjoyed getting to hear a "dry" run... and it sounds so rich and warm. What a beautiful looking guitar and a wonderful build thread... thanks for sharing. Joyeux Noel at Bonne Annee, Berf
Thanks, Berf!

Joyeux Noël à toi également!
Old 12-24-2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racman View Post
Nice playing as always Mau. I actually enjoy both renditions equally, some parts with the Kraut more and others with the Olson more. What are the tunings used for each - sounds like different keys which does make it difficult for direct comparison.

Anyway, I think you have two stunning guitars here which seem to both excel in different ways without making the other redundant at all. Just my opinion though...
Hi Roy,

Thanks so much for listening.

I really enjoy both guitars and I think the comparison might be a bit unfair as I didn't play/record the Kraut version very well. It was done a while ago and I have been polishing my approach since then.

You are also correct that the Kraut is tuned much lower -- and is actually strung up with heavies while the Olson comes with light strings.

A better comparison with the Kraut would be this sound clip here:

https://soundcloud.com/syndicatedart...allaithe-kraut

Same key, similar recording level.

And you are 100% right about the two guitars being very different -- and to me that is a good thing.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:54 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Who is this Mau character? One fantastic interpreter of music in my book.

Joe ... I mean Mau, as usual the playing is glorious. The Olson has a sound all it's own. It rings yet has such a nice woody clarity to me. That sounds like a bunch of dribble as I'm not that good at sonic descriptions. It does sound wonderful.

Merry Christmas an may your New Year be successful!
Old 12-24-2012, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Merry Christmas Joe. Incredible playing and a great build thread for us fellow AGF folks
Old 12-24-2012, 10:32 AM
Guest 213

Not surprising to hear another stellar recording from you, Joe. Thanks so much. I am in the "dry" camp on this one. Sounds much more intimate and "in your face"--in a good way, like we're all sitting around a small living room listening to you play.

I hope you sent Jim the links to these recordings. That will make his day, I'm sure.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Who is this Mau character? One fantastic interpreter of music in my book.

Joe ... I mean Mau, as usual the playing is glorious. The Olson has a sound all it's own. It rings yet has such a nice woody clarity to me. That sounds like a bunch of dribble as I'm not that good at sonic descriptions. It does sound wonderful.

Merry Christmas an may your New Year be successful!
Thanks, Dennis!

I am looking forward to seeing the Kolaya in your hands!

Merry Christmas to you as well. I wish you lots of fine builds in 2013!
Old 12-24-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecuss View Post
Merry Christmas Joe. Incredible playing and a great build thread for us fellow AGF folks
Merry Christmas, Steve!

Thanks for following this thread and for your kind comment.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
Not surprising to hear another stellar recording from you, Joe. Thanks so much. I am in the "dry" camp on this one. Sounds much more intimate and "in your face"--in a good way, like we're all sitting around a small living room listening to you play.

I hope you sent Jim the links to these recordings. That will make his day, I'm sure.
Hi Jon,

I only sent him the link to the wet recording...

In fact, the link to the dry signal has been made private as that's simply not the kind of recording I want to put out there.

For this type of music, I really don't care for a dry signal. I provided the dry recording for everyone's reference -- but as a music listener I find it bland and uninteresting.

If I recorded live from a church I would skip the reverb -- but until then, the reverb will stay on. I appreciate everyone's input on the matter -- but it is case closed as far as I'm concerned.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Hi Mau,

Well, I liked that version, too! Very well done!

- Glenn
Old 12-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Jon,

In fact, the link to the dry signal has been made private as that's simply not the kind of recording I want to put out there.

For this type of music, I really don't care for a dry signal. I provided the dry recording for everyone's reference -- but as a music listener I find it bland and uninteresting.

If I recorded live from a church I would skip the reverb -- but until then, the reverb will stay on. I appreciate everyone's input on the matter -- but it is case closed as far as I'm concerned.
+ 1

I think pieces like this work great with the extra reverb. It makes for a really wonderful atmosphere. It's not something I'd use to try to critique the sound of a guitar, but this thread is not about that.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:39 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Hi Jon,

Oh, I wasn't trying to convince you to change your preferences And I think I can speak for everyone that's preferred or enjoyed the dry recording. But at the same time, you can see that a lot of people like the dry version and don't find it bland or uninteresting. But at the end of the day, this is YOUR music and YOUR recording and should be an expression of YOUR musical ideas.

Ok, now let me email Jim the private link to the dry recording... just kidding! Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2012, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Mau,

As I said in my reply to your post in my recent S&T thread, I knew you & the Olsen would make beautiful music. I listened to both the reverb & dry and they both are unmistakenly Mau ie exquisite beauty. I do like the angelic dimension that the reverb brings, its magical and I too prefer listening to you specifically play with it on. It fits bro.

To be continued my friend,

"noel"dog
Old 12-24-2012, 05:25 PM
AGF Administrator

Congrats on the guitar, Mau. It sounds wonderful. As you know, I'm in the pro-reverb camp.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
OK, just because you're two of my favourite anti-reverb AGFers...

Here's the dry version:

https://soundcloud.com/syndicatedart...ough-1/s-cexTK
Is this you playing your new guitar?
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop