The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-31-2023, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Default GC free setup worth the bother?

Got one of those 814 Builder’s from GC last month. Came with a free setup. They emailed me twice to remind me. First 10 minutes home I took a little less than 1/4 turn of relief out of the truss. Dropped the strings into what I call perfect for me. So free strings and a good wipe down. GC says select strings. I like the D’Addario XS PB lights. That what Taylor ships with now starting with the 814 BE but they are pricey and probably not in their “select” definition. I have a spare set of the D’XS since that’s what I use and I’ll ask they use mine if they want to use something like Earthwoods. I am very picky about how I install strings - put the strings and pins in the bridge holes first and look to see the balls are seated, no knots or half hitches, wraps cover the capstan holes.

Half hour drive. Think I just talked myself out of it.
Old 05-31-2023, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

I watched a 20+/- year old kid at GC years ago doing a “setup”. After about a minute I realized I had forgotten more about setting up a guitar than that kid knew. Not only that, he was eating Doritos and getting slimy fingerprints all over the guitar.

Based on that sampling, I would go somewhere else for a setup. YMMV.

+
Old 05-31-2023, 12:26 PM

Ask them if you can have the value of the setup in merchandise.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 05-31-2023, 12:27 PM

As the late great John Prine once said

"A question aint really a question, when you know the answer too"

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-31-2023, 12:27 PM

I happen to live very close to a Guitar Center in North Houston whose Tech is really quite knowledgeable about *proper setups* and does quite a good job, I know you don't hear that very often, if at all.

So, it depends.

I've been in a guitar shop with a *Martin Authorized* tech with 48 years experience who was a butcher, he said all the right things but his work was horrible.
Old 05-31-2023, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedBPhx View Post
Half hour drive. Think I just talked myself out of it.
30 min drive and 30 min coming back = 1 hr. A setup only takes me 15 min (or even less when the guitars is already setup); so I, personally, won't bother with that trip.
Old 05-31-2023, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
"A question aint really a question, when you know the answer too"
Well, that'll just get rid of 50% of the threads in this forum with titles like "Should I buy this guitar?"
Old 05-31-2023, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackC1 View Post
Well, that'll just get rid of 50% of the threads in this forum with titles like "Should I buy this guitar?"
I know! Right!!?!?!

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-31-2023, 12:56 PM

IMO, a free GC set-up is probably worth exactly what they charge for it.

I usually leave a new guitar alone for two or three months while it acclimates and we get acquainted, then take it to an actual repair shop for a pro set-up.
Old 05-31-2023, 01:05 PM

There may be a few exceptions at certain GC stores, but I would not let *anyone* from Guitar Center touch any of my guitars -- not even to change strings. If your minor truss rod tweak made it perfect for you (and I believe that) then end of story. Don't waste any more time even thinking about it.

FWIW except for a few quarter-turn truss rod adjustments, none of my Taylor guitars have needed any set up work. One time a Taylor factory tech at a Road Show told me that I could use a minor shim change on one guitar. I loaned it to them because mine was an all koa GA and they did not have any all-koa guitars present for the event, but I did not think a change was needed. I did let him put fresh strings on for the demo.
Old 05-31-2023, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Smile Depends…

As always, it depends. It depends on whether the Guitar even needs a set up. I am very picky, and find it almost always does.

It depends on how far to the store. And it certainly depends on the skill of the set up tech working at the store the day you show up.

I would just take it to my friend Tim, my regular set up guy, and guitar tech. He knows exactly how I want my stuff, and when I get it back from him it’s always perfect.

And, with every new to me guitar he will inspect it from stem to stern inside and out, and make sure everything is up to snuff. Especially important if you might possibly need to return it due to some unnoticed problem, like a high fret, or a loose brace, lifting bridge, or improper neck angle, etc,etc.

I have only seen hundreds of guitars. Tim has worked on thousands and thousands.

Of course I do pay him! As a matter fact, I always pay more than he asks. Thank you Tim Luranc.

Of course, your mileage and tech may vary !!!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

Last edited by Guitars44me; 05-31-2023 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-31-2023, 01:25 PM

I’m in Houston also, and I had a Telecaster set up at the Heights location that turned out great. That being said, I’ve never heard of GC offering a setup for free. They must be making an effort to improve their buying experience.
Old 05-31-2023, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKing34 View Post
I’m in Houston also, and I had a Telecaster set up at the Heights location that turned out great. That being said, I’ve never heard of GC offering a setup for free. They must be making an effort to improve their buying experience.
It was part of their spring Guitar-a-thon sale. Not a bad deal all in all. Got 10% off because I did a trade in and another 10% in a gift card because I let them talk me into financing it. 48months 0% APR. Paid it off when I got the first statement. Not sure what I’ll get with it. Maybe a nice condenser. The 814 BE had been on the wall less than a week and it was the last day of the sale.
Old 05-31-2023, 01:59 PM

I had GC do a set up once and only once.
They tried to adject the low action by installing a shim. I will.never allow a shim in my guitar. I also dislike under saddle pickups. They didn't look at the frets and they needed to be leveled. Go to a real Tech for your set up.
Old 05-31-2023, 02:04 PM

I don't know if this advice fits in but here it goes, learn how to do your own set-up. It's no mystery. A set-up is more than just a twist of the truss rod but not a big deal, just do a little at a time till you get it dialed in to your liking.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion