The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-30-2023, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

I'm fine buying new or used. My recent purchase of a 2015 Taylor 322 was one of my best purchases. I'm dangerously close to buying a CEO7 which I will buy new. I do want the warranty even though there isn't much of chance of needing it. Plus the used prices on them is very high and I can get 10% off a new one. I'm also going on faith that they've corrected the dreaded binding issues.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 05-30-2023, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
Of no good whatsoever without a source name. You said you have three. I went looking using the intertoobs in the Bay Area and found none.

Please identify those three outlets. Business name and location. Maybe I'll buy one of the available three.
What "three" are you talking about? I have no idea.
Old 05-30-2023, 03:34 PM

500 bucks over the lifetime I'll have a guitar is not what I would consider "REAL money" Not when it's carrying the potential buying someone else's headache that they are trying to unload and not being forthcoming with why or what they are selling, which happens quite frequently lately.

I don't mind the extra $ when I know I don't have all that crap that comes with dealing with private sale and used shenangians to worry about.

I'll buy once, cry once.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-30-2023, 04:57 PM

The question was directed to member bj1, who posted a comment upthread.

Quoting member bj1 again, here: "I’ve recently seen at least three 0-18s less than four years old listed for $2,000."

Where seen? Name the biz and location, so I can use the info to negotiate.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 05-30-2023, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Of my current guitars, 2 were custom ordered, 1 bought new off the internet with a discount code, 1 purchased used online after a 48 hour trial period, and 1 guitar that a luthier made on spec and took around various guitar festivals as a demo model. Luthier put it on consignment when it was 5 years old at a local brick and mortar where I made a reasonable offer and it was accepted. It was in mint condition and the red spruce top was nicely broken in.
Lots of good used guitars are out there but it can take more time and effort to get your hands on them and evaluate them. Sometimes new with a warranty is more convenient.
Best,
Jayne
Old 05-30-2023, 05:49 PM

If saving money is the goal, which it sometimes is, you're better off buying used. Sometimes a specific guitar speaks to you, regardless of the condition. Sometimes a "deal" turns out to be a nightmare, which was a recent experience for me.
Old 05-30-2023, 05:56 PM
Guest 61722

Quote:
We are leaving the winter home, the guitar wasteland of SW FL, heading up to Chicagoland, where there are lotsa stores.

I'm jonesing for a new Martin.

CME has a new 0-18 at $2800 and a beauty that is used for $2250, a savings of $550, which is real money.
Tough call. You will be able to play both of these? One is bound to feel better than the other or sound better. If you can see it in person and feel confident that it's in good condition, why not?

Do they have a decent return policy on used instruments? Guitar Center gives you three days on a vintage guitars. I don't know how they define "vintage" vs just "used." I dug out the original tag from the used Sigma I got in March, 1994 seems kind of vintage, and it says 45 days. I think you could make a case for returning the used one even after the time period if you discover there's something wrong with it, or it's just not to your liking.

OTHO, just typing all that makes me think, OMG if you can afford it, buy the new one and get it done. OTOH, $550 is real money... so I. don't. know.

But when you do decide, please let us know.

Jonesin' for a new Martin. I wouldn't know anything about THAT!
Old 05-30-2023, 06:05 PM

Several of the guitars I bought used were models that were no longer in production. Buying used also gives you a jump start on the aging process.

Jerry
Old 05-30-2023, 07:03 PM

I buy nearly all guitars used. I like paying less for a more opened up tone. I definitely recommend only buying from a reputable seller or ideally, in person inspecting it thoroughly first.

There are lots of reasons people sell guitars that don't have anything worth with them. Upgrading, need cash for something else, don't play as much anymore, moving, health issues, neck just isn't as comfortable as they wanted, etc.
Old 05-30-2023, 07:15 PM

I rarely buy anything new, unless no option.

Since getting the vintage guitars that I wanted, years back, I am not scared of used guitars anymore, let me tell you! Vintage can equal kaput! Having developed such a good relationship with my luthier/tech over this time, I keep an eye out on the pawn shop online site, drive there, play it and grab anything that gets my interest and get my luthier to bring it up to playable. I have bought a few that I would never consider like dreads, preferring 00/OM types but they were rarely available, so I surprise myself. But I read about X in this forum and if X is going cheap and cheerful, well......

I may have entertained the silly, silly foolish notion of selling them on after getting them fixed and playing for a while!

Of course, my luthier did such a good job that...........

BluesKing777.
Old 05-30-2023, 07:27 PM

The AGF, in general, not singling anyone out - is OCD, ADHD and schizophrenic. I've read all the following here:

- guitars HAVE to be set up (used ones usually are)

- guitars MUST be played to open up (used ones have theoretically been played more than new ones)

- used guitars have mojo

- you're likely to take a financial hit buying new and reselling

- you've got to keep acquiring more guitars

- you've got to get the new guitar warranty

- my used guitars are in nearly mint condition and worth as much (or more than new). I'm only selling to fund another guitar. Your guitars are damaged and flawed and you're just trying to dump your problems on an unsuspecting buyer...

That's all the advice you're likely to get. I've happily bought used, vintage, shopworn and brand-spanking- new. I won't box myself in with arbitrary rules when it comes to choosing and playing musical instruments.

My gently used HD-28 has been a joy to own and play for the past 3 years. I don't think I'll ever willingly part with it. And I paid $1850 for it.
Old 05-30-2023, 10:26 PM
Charter Member

I’m going to add a couple of reasons for buying new that are important to me. I live in a smaller city that has a Guitar Center and a smaller independent guitar store. I value living in a community that supports unique and interesting businesses outside of the chain stores that are homogenous and plentiful across the US. I figure that most of these independent businesses are barely surviving and that they depend on having at least some customers who are willing to shop locally and pay full retail price. I personally enjoy going in to my local music store, bike shop etc and chatting with the employees and other customers as an enjoyable activity on its own. I usually see a few people I know and it makes me feel good to see them and talk bikes or guitars with them. I see the owners and their kids working there and it makes me happy to support the enterprise. I also value the warranty and the security of knowing that I can bring the guitar in if there is a problem and they will likely address it without charging me anything. For these reasons, I purchased my brand new Martin 000-18 at my local music store and paid the full MSRP without trying to haggle. I’m buying more than just the guitar itself and I feel that I got my money’s worth.
Old 05-30-2023, 10:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcross67 View Post
I’m going to add a couple of reasons for buying new that are important to me. I live in a smaller city that has a Guitar Center and a smaller independent guitar store. I value living in a community that supports unique and interesting businesses outside of the chain stores that are homogenous and plentiful across the US. I figure that most of these independent businesses are barely surviving and that they depend on having at least some customers who are willing to shop locally and pay full retail price. I personally enjoy going in to my local music store, bike shop etc and chatting with the employees and other customers as an enjoyable activity on its own. I usually see a few people I know and it makes me feel good to see them and talk bikes or guitars with them. I see the owners and their kids working there and it makes me happy to support the enterprise. I also value the warranty and the security of knowing that I can bring the guitar in if there is a problem and they will likely address it without charging me anything. For these reasons, I purchased my brand new Martin 000-18 at my local music store and paid the full MSRP without trying to haggle. I’m buying more than just the guitar itself and I feel that I got my money’s worth.
used guitars in a shop make about a ton more profit for retailers than new.
Old 05-30-2023, 11:41 PM

If you buy new online you get fast delivery and can return it if you do not like it? Used it can take some time to find exactly what you want and if something is wrong you might be stuck with it.

https://www.facebook.com/RichardsBluesBand
https://www.facebook.com/RichardAbbuhlMusic

Richard's Blue Band on Spotify
Richard Abbuhl on Spotify
RichardAbbuhl.com
Old 05-31-2023, 12:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Where are these $2K 0-18s? I did every web search I could and saw none.
Right here in AGF Classifieds. They are not here every day, and they don’t usually last long, but they’re here. You have to lie in wait.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion