The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-30-2023, 05:21 PM

Thanks everyone!

I will add, aside from the heavy and clunky TKL case, the 001T is very lightly built. It’s almost indistinguishable against the Waterloo. Very close in that regard. I can also see why Bill sought to create the Collings traditional cases.
Old 05-30-2023, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on a beautiful guitar. I vote for keeping the pickguard on. It just looks right.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 05-30-2023, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

That’s a beautiful instrument. One could argue strongly that the 00 is the actual home base of guitar sizes. And I’m with you on the cases OP, would love to find a T case for my C10.

You know what “they” say about your first Collings? “It won’t be your last”.

Love it.
Old 05-31-2023, 05:31 AM

Congratulations! I love the neck shape on these. It felt familiar the first time I picked my OM1-T up. Enjoy it in good health!
Old 05-31-2023, 11:58 AM

“Home bases of guitars…”

I like that! Ha!

Another observation here that I’ve come to realize is how much I enjoy the Collings signature sound, even if the ‘traditionals’ have a slight Martin nod in tone.

I had a Martin 000-18NB (Norman Blake) in 2019 and thought it would be a forever guitar. I knew that I liked 00/000 body sizes, twelve frets, and spruce over mahogany but wasn’t prepared for how overbearing the guitar sounded. Martin’s signature sound coupled with the smaller sound hole (and I’m sure other features) really created a lot more bass than I wanted in a guitar. In fact, the guitar almost got in the way of itself, for my enjoyment anyway.

Not so with the Collings. It’s crisp, lush, and clear with perhaps a hint of darkness. Exactly what I’ve been looking for.

I don’t think the wallet can sustain anymore guitars but I’d be really intrigued to try a small body baked Collings with maple back and sides. Woof! Okay end rant.
Old 05-31-2023, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Nice guitar. Congrats on scoring a primo piece.

I guess I need to stop by there next time I am in Austin. I have relatives in Austin (Dripping Springs) and New Braunfels so its an easy trip for me.

+
Old 05-31-2023, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Abn556, if you want to visit Collings I strongly suggest you call them to make an appointment. Things there are different than pre-covid in terms of accessing the factory. They are still really friendly, open and informative, and really interesting people. I believe they are under a big stress to produce their demand at the extremely high level they are known for. So just to avoid finding no one available on short notice, set it up. You’ll love the “tour”.

As far as a small body maple b/s companion piece to the OP’s 001T, I would recommend my Collings C10 in German/maple. Wow what a great playing and sounding (and looking) guitar. Iirc I got it from a member here 15 years ago or so. They’ll build it with either a pyramid or belly bridge - mine has the belly and I string it with 12’s. On Collings maple, they install an incredibly comfortable ( to me) and beautiful flame maple neck. It’s more rounded in profile than the mahogany necks on the Martin inspired instruments which I am not alone in considering to be the finest standard necks in the business. (I could name a few boutique luthiers who have told me “I use the Collings neck profiles”!). But…. the maple neck is a REALLY nice thing unto itself.

All for now, play that 00!
Old 05-31-2023, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

I vote to keep the pickguard as well. It looks just right.

I just got my first Collings too. I am very lucky to own such a fine instrument.

Congrats to you, Martin, enjoy that pretty thing!
Old 05-31-2023, 05:35 PM

Thanks Ken! Appreciate it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion