The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 04-24-2023, 01:56 AM
Charter Member

Default Godin 5th Avenue - new wider nut string spacing

I finally found some time yesterday to make a new nut for my 5th Avenue from a piece of bone. I made the overall string spacing wider (to 37.5mm from 35.6mm) and switched to proportional centres (using the Stumac nut gauge) from the equal spaces of the original Tusq nut.

Because of the amputation of the end section of my left index finger I needed just a little more room between the trebles for cleaner chords.

I'd forgotten just how tedious it is to shape up a nut from a rectangle of bone! I must have made well over 100 by now, if not more - it doesn't get any less tedious!!!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 06-26-2023, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
I made the overall string spacing wider (to 37.5mm from 35.6mm) and switched to proportional centres (using the Stumac nut gauge) from the equal spaces of the original Tusq nut.
Interesting. Was this the tool that you used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
I'd forgotten just how tedious it is to shape up a nut from a rectangle of bone! I must have made well over 100 by now, if not more - it doesn't get any less tedious!!!
I agree. That's why I try to start with pre-shaped bones when possible.
Old 06-27-2023, 01:20 AM
Charter Member

Yes, I used the StuMac string spacing rule. A very useful tool.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops