The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-30-2023, 08:16 AM
Guest 61722

Default The time has come...

for me to learn all the notes on the fretboard by heart. I've tried doing this a few different ways - using two sets of flashcards - one with the string name, one with the fret number, 1-14. That's kind of good, but it's still a lot of individual notes to memorize.

Yesterday I took a printout of the guitar neck, with all the notes indicated, and I started looking for patterns. So if you are on the low E string (#6) and you want to find all the other Es, you go down two strings and over two frets or down two strings and over three frets. Or down one string and forward five or backwards 7, or down three strings and back three frets. It reminds me of the chessboard and how the different chess pieces move, particularly the knight.

It's easier to memorize the different patterns and intervals than individual notes. The B string is always one off. And the other thing that really clicked for me doing this is the guitar neck is "3 dimensional." So if you're on the high E (1st string), and you want to go down two strings, you'll end up on the A string (5th). Likewise if you're on a note on the 12th fret (let's pretend the guitar is a 12 fretter), and you go down two strings, when you go forward two or three, you are back counting up from the nut.

And it all works in reverse, too.

Suddenly, it's much easier to find all the Es, all the As, etc. which eventually, hopefully, when combined with the basic scale/box patterns, will lead me all over the neck and able to put together some interesting fills/mini-solos etc.

Watch this space for more updates!

I'm using this diagram, because the notes are not colored. I started off using different colored highlighters to map my way around. Any diagram of the fret board will work:

https://coloradomusicacademy.files.w...-fretboard.gif
Old 01-30-2023, 08:17 AM

the pesky B string,, that's the curve ball! LOL!

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 01-30-2023, 08:19 AM
Guest 61722

It's a precious snowflake! But like learning the irregular verbs in Spanish, some stuff you just have to commit to memory.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:20 AM
Guest 61722

PS Some days I feel like a cave woman trying to invent fire!
Old 01-30-2023, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janinep7 View Post
PS Some days I feel like a cave woman trying to invent fire!
know the feeling!!!

What helped me for this was revesting sight reading.

(Two terrifying words! LOL!)

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 01-30-2023, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Now connect all the E's and A's to chords and you got something.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-30-2023, 09:09 AM

I used to put a capo on and not use any open strings. Learn what notes are in each chord shape in the five fret area you're using. It helps you learn to transpose songs too.
Old 01-30-2023, 04:51 PM

Post Deleted

Last edited by DWKitt; 05-18-2023 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Post Deleted
Old 01-30-2023, 05:18 PM

The most useful patterns in there are ... chord shapes.

All you really need is the CAGED system.

Learn all 5 shapes for a C chord, and you have 3/7 of the fretboard learned: the places of all the C, E and G notes in easily remembered shapes.
The other 4/7 come from the F and G chord shapes: same 5 shapes as for C, just in different positions.

The C shapes run in C-A-G-E-D order. The F shapes run in E-D-C-A-G order, starting on fret 1. The G shapes are in G-E-D-C-A order.

You don't need to memorize the sharps and flat because they're obviously the ones in between.

Of course, you have the octave patterns you've already spotted too. You can also use the WWHWWWH pattern up one string for any major scale you want. (For C major: 3-5-7-8-10-12-14-15 on the 5th string, 1-3-5-6-8-10-12-13 on the B string.)

IOW, all these systems support each other. All together are better than any single one. But scale patterns across the strings are the least useful of all.
Old 02-01-2023, 11:54 AM

Some things are just absolutely worth memorizing. This is one of them.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-01-2023, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
for me to learn all the notes on the fretboard by heart. I've tried doing this a few different ways - using two sets of flashcards - one with the string name, one with the fret number, 1-14. That's kind of good, but it's still a lot of individual notes to memorize.

Yesterday I took a printout of the guitar neck, with all the notes indicated, and I started looking for patterns. So if you are on the low E string (#6) and you want to find all the other Es, you go down two strings and over two frets or down two strings and over three frets. Or down one string and forward five or backwards 7, or down three strings and back three frets. It reminds me of the chessboard and how the different chess pieces move, particularly the knight.

It's easier to memorize the different patterns and intervals than individual notes. The B string is always one off. And the other thing that really clicked for me doing this is the guitar neck is "3 dimensional." So if you're on the high E (1st string), and you want to go down two strings, you'll end up on the A string (5th). Likewise if you're on a note on the 12th fret (let's pretend the guitar is a 12 fretter), and you go down two strings, when you go forward two or three, you are back counting up from the nut.

And it all works in reverse, too.

Suddenly, it's much easier to find all the Es, all the As, etc. which eventually, hopefully, when combined with the basic scale/box patterns, will lead me all over the neck and able to put together some interesting fills/mini-solos etc.

Watch this space for more updates!

I'm using this diagram, because the notes are not colored. I started off using different colored highlighters to map my way around. Any diagram of the fret board will work:

https://coloradomusicacademy.files.w...-fretboard.gif
Hi Janine, you are doing well. It is good to recognise patterns

I know an elderly pro jazz guitarist who I was with when someone asked him if he knew every note on the fretboard.
He replied "I know the notes on the E string(s) and the A string. that's all you need to work out the rest. Its kinda true.

In practical terms 9rather than as a technical exercise, Knowing chord "shapes" can help a great deal (basically understanding the so called "CAGED" system - which isn't really a "system" just a way to "see" patterns".

I might be able to help you via a zoom meeting or two if interested.
Old 02-01-2023, 12:47 PM
Guest 61722

Thanks to everyone who replied.

I do know the CAGED system. It's helpful, but not perfect. The concept of movable shapes is what really stays with me from that.

I did some quick math... Considering that the two E strings are identical, and if you memorize to the 14th fret, that's really only 70 items. 5 strings x 14 frets. It's not that bad.

Between learning and memorizing the E and A strings, and the shapes/patterns/intervals for the rest, it probably won't take all that long to commit it to memory.

Then the real challenge comes - what do I do with all those notes???
Old 02-01-2023, 12:50 PM

Quote:

Then the real challenge comes - what do I do with all those notes???
Next step is learn how to spell and build chords.

Once you see that a G major chord is ANYWHERE you can put together a G, B, and D-- in any order-- the entire guitar is liberated.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-02-2023, 08:20 AM
Guest 61722

Is there a good, concise internet resource that you can recommend that has all the chord recipes?
Old 02-02-2023, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Playing music with a guitar is a mix of dexterity, emotion, flexibility, muscle memory and experience. You could memorize every note on the fret board in six different tunings and not have a bit of effect on the musicality of what you play. Knowledge is great, but don't forget what's what.

Similar to old guys staring at the guitar classifieds instead of playing.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write