The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-22-2023, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rule18 View Post
Gore needs to make up that lost revenue somehow but that's quite a single increase.
How much of that is an increase by Gore and how much is it GC piggybacking on an increase by Gore?
Old 05-22-2023, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
How much of that is an increase by Gore and how much is it GC piggybacking on an increase by Gore?
Is there a difference?
Old 05-22-2023, 11:19 AM

As for different tension, thanks for the numbers, gents! Good to know!

Edward
Old 05-22-2023, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Is there a difference?
What do you think?
Old 05-22-2023, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

I found elixir strings worked the best on the first two Taylors I had and eventually sold (a DN3 and then a 414 LTD), and the 322e 12 fret I got last year came with them. Using only non coated strings on my acoustics for the past few years (mainly EJ 16 and Santa Cruz low tension), I didn't like the slippery feel of the elixirs and changed them right away.
The long lasting feature is attractive, I like EJ 16 strings, and would appreciate any feedback on how the XS strings feel in comparison to the elixirs. My current go to strings are Santa Cruz low tension. They are pricey, yet last a long time, but the high e and b strings in last batch I got to restring my 4 most played acoustics seemed more bright and shrill compared to previous ones.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 05-22-2023, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

I had an email from Taylor about this switch when I was going through my emails. With starting my new job, my personal email has not been checked as frequently, or even going on here for that matter, so I wondered if there was a thread about this.

I kind of personally felt that it was for a few reasons. The beginning would be the special string set that was developed for the GS mini-bass. Then the American Dream series shipped with D'addario strings as opposed to the usual Elixers because of the supply chain issue. Plus, they probably worked out a better deal with Taylor if Taylor's contract with Elixer was coming to an end *if* Taylor had a contract with Elixer.

I am having a slightly customized Taylor coming in here soon - the 322 12 fret with the slotted headstock, no cutaway, and no electronics, so I will be interested to see which strings will wind up on it when it arrives. I'll report back in a NGD post about it. In the meantime, on my next day off from work, I'll see what I can find out if my Taylor dealer I go to has an insight into this switch, if he heard anything about it.
Old 05-23-2023, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Well, I can tell you that Elixers just went from $14 to $18 at the local GC.

Bob
But then, the D'addario XS strings start at 19.99.

And currently, Sweetwater has a price-drop on Elixirs.

The reason I'll still use Elixirs is that I've still got over 2 dozen packs of various acoustic and electric gauges from bundled-packs that I've purchased over time. And since Elixirs last a very long time (for me), I shouldn't need to purchase any strings for a while.

Last edited by maxed; 05-23-2023 at 07:03 AM.
Old 05-23-2023, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
It's most certainly both.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 05-31-2023, 11:53 AM

Just put a set of 12-53's on my Taylor AD17...
Interesting strings, Haven't play enough this week to make a judgement call but so far I think they are my new go to strings..
Old 06-01-2023, 07:54 AM

D’Addario XS Coated Strings are just the best strings I have tried. I think they are better than Elixirs in both sound and feel.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 06-01-2023, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Just did the first string change on an 814ce Builder’s made in January ‘23. Thought they were wearing out a little faster than I usually get with D’Addario XS. Fraying G string and not holding tune overnight as well.

Thought the 814ce BE introduced the change to Ds. The balls are all brass colored. D.XSs use 3 different colors. Probably Elixirs.
Old 06-04-2023, 12:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedBPhx View Post
Just did the first string change on an 814ce Builder’s made in January ‘23. Thought they were wearing out a little faster than I usually get with D’Addario XS. Fraying G string and not holding tune overnight as well.

Thought the 814ce BE introduced the change to Ds. The balls are all brass colored. D.XSs use 3 different colors. Probably Elixirs.
Usually for an OEM, D's will not have colored ball ends. Not sure about the XS that Taylor is using though.
Old 06-04-2023, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Every Taylor guitar I have ever purchased got D'Addario EJ16 strings put on it as soon as I got it home. I think Taylor and D'Addario are a good match. The XS strings make sense to assure good longevity of the strings in guitar stores.

- Glenn
Old 06-04-2023, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Every Taylor guitar I have ever purchased got D'Addario EJ16 strings put on it as soon as I got it home. I think Taylor and D'Addario are a good match. The XS strings make sense to assure good longevity of the strings in guitar stores.

- Glenn
Good call Glenn. I've run Elixir nanowebs on most of my Taylors but have been a huge fan of EJ16s for most of my adult life. It's hard to beat them for consistency and tone, even though they wear out much sooner than coated strings. I recall back in the day having to change them mid week when playing out a lot. This was likely due to the dreaded combination of sweat and loads of cigarette smoke.

I have 11 instruments on which I change strings, so now prefer coated strings to cut down on the frequency of changes!
Old 06-04-2023, 10:45 AM

Never liked EJ16s and never understood the appeal. The XS however are a revelation in how to perfect the coated string; great tone, natural feel, and superior longevity.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion