The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-26-2023, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusic View Post
I am quite surprised that "If" by David Gates has such disfavor. I mean the song, not the recording. I love the arrangement, the chords. Somebody knows what they're doing composing that. Gates! Has a background in music theory.
"If" is in my repertoire, playing fingerstyle arpeggios on a nylon guitar. I think it's quite nice, IIDSSM.
Old 05-26-2023, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
McCartney's supernatural tsunami of creative energy was/is as broad as any dozen or more artists, resulting in countless masterpieces (and some real clunkers as well) all subjective to millions of listeners.

The folklore I've gathered over decades is that 'Silly Love Songs' was McCartney's rebuttal to some of Lennon's post-Beatles interviews in which he bitterly dismissed Paul's "lightweight love songs [that made no meaningful contribution to the world]."

While the song doesn't make me regurgitate (like Tommy Rowe's 'Dizzy'), I find the backstory fascinating in that a barb exchanged between former bandmates at odds with each other would manifest itself in yet another platinum seller.

Great bass line, which of course Macca played live while singing — brilliantly.

But the song doesn’t really fit the bill for me except in theme. It’s very upbeat, not so syrupy.
Old 05-27-2023, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusic View Post
I am quite surprised that "If" by David Gates has such disfavor. I mean the song, not the recording. I love the arrangement, the chords. Somebody knows what they're doing composing that. Gates! Has a background in music theory. As for the recording, I don't care for the tremelo sound in it, whatever that is. As just a guitar or piano with vocal, an outstanding song seems to me. We all sure see/hear things differently!

I am also surprised that Silly Love Songs and Love Will Keep Us Together go over so well! Interesting, thanks for posting!
Fair. And now that you point it out, I must agree the music itself is one I enjoy - it’s a very nice guitar progression. Just sat down and played it!!! Thanks for reminding me. I really can’t tell you exactly why I’m not crazy about it, but playing it on guitar today has got me reconsidering my comment. It really is a beautiful song. I think I just got very burned out on it a long time ago.

As far as the reaction to the other two, all I can say is they get everyone singing along. I think a lot of people are shocked to see me (a guy) sing it and then get caught up in the nostalgia. Same reaction to when we play Jackson and my male partner nails the June Carter Cash vocal. Fun stuff.

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 05-28-2023, 04:07 AM

I happen to enjoy sappy love songs with a sweet melody and sentimental lyrics. Try writing one. It ain't as easy as it looks.
Old 05-28-2023, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu View Post
I happen to enjoy sappy love songs with a sweet melody and sentimental lyrics. Try writing one. It ain't as easy as it looks.

A good toe tapper is even harder.
Old 05-28-2023, 11:53 AM

With the exception of Muskrat Love, I really like every other "sappy" love songs others here hate. IF is one of my favorites too.

And I really like pop songs too. Makes my wife a bit crazy but I can't help it. I like what I like.

Ok, I could do without Silly Little Love Songs but not enough to change the station when it comes on my oldies radio station.

Best,
PJ
Old 05-28-2023, 12:31 PM

Sorry, I'm not really sorry, but I'm sick of this crap. I have always loved what people are labeling syrupy love songs and I literally got beat up in the 70s, physically abused because I like artists like John Denver, Barry Manilow, the Carpenters, and on and on....I've spent my life defending music I love.

Last edited by Lkristians; 05-28-2023 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 05-28-2023, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
Sorry, I'm not really sorry, but I'm sick of this crap. I have always loved what people are labeling syrupy love songs and I literally got beat up in the 70s, physically abused because I like artists like John Denver, Barry Manilow, the Carpenters, and on and on....I've spent my life defending music I love.

I love the Carpenters and John Denver. Not so much Barry Manilow.
Old 05-28-2023, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
I love the Carpenters and John Denver. Not so much Barry Manilow.

Which reminds me of another hideous syrupy song: Two out of Three Ain’t Bad, by Meat Loaf.
Old 05-29-2023, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
I don't think anyone is claiming that all love songs are syrupy and banal. Which begs the question what separates the wheat from the chaff?

I don't like Wonderful Tonight because I find it monotonous and dull, it's not just a case of cheesey lyrics. Which, for me, is in stark contrast to Something by George Harrison, which Sinatra said was the best love song of the past 50 years

I also like The Carpenters and Manilow. Go figure.
Old 05-30-2023, 06:35 PM

Unabashed Fanilow here. Also love the Carpenters, "Sometimes When We Touch," Stephen Bishop, Christopher Cross.

I didn't listen to these artists until long after their heyday, so the social context that made them anathema to male boomers didn't hold any sway with me.

Old 05-30-2023, 10:06 PM

Karen Carpenter
Peggy Lee
June Christy
Sara Vaughn
Dinah Washington
Lee Wiley

Anybody who thinks any one of these is "syrupy" is just hopelessly clueless.
Old 06-01-2023, 11:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

You guys made me chuckle all the way through this thread. Bravo to the OP.

John Denver wrote some beautiful melodies, but a few of the song lyrics are dreadful. Sorry to offend any Denverites out there. I find "Annie's Song" horrible.

But the one that really makes my skin crawl is "For Baby (For Bobbie)." Even the title is horrific. Throw in the chorus of cutesy children singing the refrain at the end, and it's all I can do not to toss my cookies right on the spot. Ugh.

On this topic, I side with Tom Waits: "I like beautiful melodies telling you terrible things."
Old 06-02-2023, 03:24 AM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=tinnitus;
doesn't make me regurgitate (like [U]Tommy Rowe's 'Dizzy'[/U]),

That's funny. I was 8 yrs old, and learning to play drums. Nearly wore that record completely out, playing along.

Remember rehearsing to records?

Remember records?
Old 06-02-2023, 05:47 AM

Ya know,"Love Hurts" by "Nazareth" is sappy but somehow it manages to rock.I guess the Raunchy tone overshadows the sap

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic