The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-28-2023, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
Sometimes I miss shooting my Large Format cameras as it forced me to show down and really concentrate on each image I created. When I taught Large Format photography, I always referred to it as a more contemplative form of photography.

I really don't miss the darkroom however ...

Best,
Photojeep
I too, miss using a view camera. It was the whole process that I enjoyed vs. basically pointing-and-shooting, even when using a tripod, which is 99% of the time.

I did enjoy the darkroom for the mastery it required to be really good at printing (the trash can was the most important tool).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
I also had a really cool Plaubel Makina 67. It looked like a Fisher Price camera
I never owned one but I did use both the 67 and the W67 many times in the late '80s. Usually with Kodachrome 120.
Old 05-28-2023, 11:06 PM

Does this count? I took it to a bike shop for a tune up and reglue the tubulars. The mechanic claimed that nobody in town glues wheels because they're old and nobody uses them any more. He suggested I buy a new wheel set. I can't quite swing that at the moment, but I also pointed out that I don't have disc brakes. He also suggested I get electronic shifters if I wanted something that shifts well. This bike is a 2010. No idea I was so outdated.
Old 05-29-2023, 01:11 AM

Quote:
I also use Capture One as a RAW converter and image catalog solution

Best,
Photojeep
How is Capture One compared to the Adobe Raw converter? I don't need the full-blown PS, so I have Photoshop Elements 2019 and use its RAW converter. Is CO more comprehensive and produce a better JPG file from various camera maker's RAW files?
Old 05-29-2023, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
How is Capture One compared to the Adobe Raw converter? I don't need the full-blown PS, so I have Photoshop Elements 2019 and use its RAW converter. Is CO more comprehensive and produce a better JPG file from various camera maker's RAW files?
FYI if you are thinking about change or not keeping up with Adobe versions.

I don't know of popular RAW handling that is not overall good these days. How and what you use to manage and tag or catalog images is often more of an issue. An older version of a product more likely doesn't know newer cameras for the sake of correction than not really work well.

To cut down monthly, annual or periodic costs, some people not pro and even pros I know are starting to catalog images with something no cost and moving images in production in and out of a paid or specialty product. I am pretty sure I'll finish committing to that and eliminating a bill from Adobe.

In thinking this all out, I've exported a few thousand images from Lightroom into Apple's free except for cloud storage Photos and am overall pretty happy but if you're in Elements now you already have something pretty good and at lower price point.
Old 05-29-2023, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Hi Jeff,
I find Capture One's converter better. Having said that I must admit I haven't used Adobe's in a long time so it's probably not a fair comparison but since my go-to program is Capture One, I have no need of Photoshop's converter.

For what it's worth, CO still has a non-subscription option along with their subscription offering. They recently changed the non-sub process a bit which got a lot of people's panties in a twist but for a (now) casual user like me it's really not an issue.

But back to your question, the most recent version of CO offers many options when initially converting RAW images. Many of these have to do with deciding which files to actually convert. Much like Lightroom, you images are "mapped" to a catalog but also like Lightroom as you work on an image you never touch the actual pixels so no damage is ever done. Of course at any time you may open your image into Photoshop to do pixel-level editing. I don't know how this will interface with your Photoshop elements version however.

CO does have a fully functional trial version that works for 30 days so you might give it a try to see if you like the results. Be advised things will seem utterly foreign at first but if you keep at it for a couple days you will begin to get the hang of the program and can then get deeper into it's functions. (It took me about a week.)

Capture One has many tutorials both on their website (learn.captureone.com) and YouTube.

Give it a try and see what you think. If you don't like it in those 30 days, at least it didn't cost you anything!

Good luck.

Best,
PJ
Old 05-29-2023, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post

Does this count? I took it to a bike shop for a tune up and reglue the tubulars. The mechanic claimed that nobody in town glues wheels because they're old and nobody uses them any more. He suggested I buy a new wheel set. I can't quite swing that at the moment, but I also pointed out that I don't have disc brakes. He also suggested I get electronic shifters if I wanted something that shifts well. This bike is a 2010. No idea I was so outdated.
You can still find Tubasti in a good shop or online. Otherwise, any good contact cement should work. Clean off with acetone.

tinyurl.com/Tubasti
Old 05-30-2023, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post
You can still find Tubasti in a good shop or online. Otherwise, any good contact cement should work. Clean off with acetone.

tinyurl.com/Tubasti
I'm very much guilty of being a racer who's very poor at wrenching. I had a shop that took very good care of me until the owner retired and closed up shop. My free time is very limited these days. I work long overnight blocks and have 2 ADHD boys whenever I'm not working. More wrenching means less time to train, clean, or play a little guitar. I found a local racer who still glues and doesn't charge a whole lot. My sponsored shop leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:48 AM

Default Old Bikes and Old Cameras

I love old bikes, especially with campagnolo. Right now I have a 1973 Motobecane Le Champion and a 1988 De Rosa slx.
Edit: figured out photos.

Last edited by Craiginva; 06-01-2023 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-01-2023, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
FYI if you are thinking about change or not keeping up with Adobe versions.

I don't know of popular RAW handling that is not overall good these days. How and what you use to manage and tag or catalog images is often more of an issue. An older version of a product more likely doesn't know newer cameras for the sake of correction than not really work well.

To cut down monthly, annual or periodic costs, some people not pro and even pros I know are starting to catalog images with something no cost and moving images in production in and out of a paid or specialty product. I am pretty sure I'll finish committing to that and eliminating a bill from Adobe.

In thinking this all out, I've exported a few thousand images from Lightroom into Apple's free except for cloud storage Photos and am overall pretty happy but if you're in Elements now you already have something pretty good and at lower price point.
Quote:
Hi Jeff,
I find Capture One's converter better. Having said that I must admit I haven't used Adobe's in a long time so it's probably not a fair comparison but since my go-to program is Capture One, I have no need of Photoshop's converter.

For what it's worth, CO still has a non-subscription option along with their subscription offering. They recently changed the non-sub process a bit which got a lot of people's panties in a twist but for a (now) casual user like me it's really not an issue.

But back to your question, the most recent version of CO offers many options when initially converting RAW images. Many of these have to do with deciding which files to actually convert. Much like Lightroom, you images are "mapped" to a catalog but also like Lightroom as you work on an image you never touch the actual pixels so no damage is ever done. Of course at any time you may open your image into Photoshop to do pixel-level editing. I don't know how this will interface with your Photoshop elements version however.

CO does have a fully functional trial version that works for 30 days so you might give it a try to see if you like the results. Be advised things will seem utterly foreign at first but if you keep at it for a couple days you will begin to get the hang of the program and can then get deeper into it's functions. (It took me about a week.)

Capture One has many tutorials both on their website (learn.captureone.com) and YouTube.

Give it a try and see what you think. If you don't like it in those 30 days, at least it didn't cost you anything!

Good luck.

Best,
PJ
Thanks for this valuable info, guys!

I am no longer a pro photographer and really don't want to be tied to a subscription or related so that will figure into what i look into (Capture One, DxO Photolab 6, etc.).

As to organization/storage/filing/etc., I prefer not having my files within a program's own "library". I create folders in My Documents on my Mac and just import/export the files as needed to/from Photoshop.
Old 06-02-2023, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Thanks for this valuable info, guys!

I am no longer a pro photographer and really don't want to be tied to a subscription or related so that will figure into what i look into (Capture One, DxO Photolab 6, etc.).

As to organization/storage/filing/etc., I prefer not having my files within a program's own "library". I create folders in My Documents on my Mac and just import/export the files as needed to/from Photoshop.
There is a mindset issue with making the change so it might be helpful to know you can always export an original.

Something else with my decision is you can cut storage costs and insure availability in an easy way. Taking that Apple example, if you keep a copy of all on a device or two plus cloud storage you more easily always have everything same time you have the convenience.

Some drawbacks or a drawback is the tagging some popular systems do. They're all similar in concept. Ones that are very visible with machine learning still let you create tags manually.

Now I'll thank this as a reminder to finish my project! (more to export from Lightroom).

I'm not meaning this in any way to be no need for the more feature rich products as much as no regrets doing it. Another benefit is the ease of and inclusion of family for sharing.

Old 06-02-2023, 06:09 AM

Film photo, Leica M2, developed in my bathroom. Vianelli single speed.

Old 06-02-2023, 11:30 AM

Glad this thread is getting some traction!

Picked up an old Norco Magnum from the 80s. Friction shifters need some work, and it's way too big for me, but my plan is to get it road worthy. My son seems to want it. Also working on two old Treks, these are aluminum (I prefer old steel!), a 7300 and an 8000, both free. The 7300 needs a seat/seat post and some pedals, and I want to replace the slicks with a set of 1.95 off-road tires (it's a 26er). The 8000 needs a new front rim, and a back tube, as well as a Deore LX front derailleur. All good summertime pursuits, with a cold glass of craft beer!

As for cameras - just picked up a Canon PowerShot A520IS old-school digicam for a twoonie at a yard sale. Nice little camera. I still prefer analog, but the old digicams do give a "film" look, if the sensors and old CCD.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 06-02-2023, 12:32 PM

Default New film cameras are coming...

And they'll say PENTAX on the front. This venerable, hundred-year-old camera maker says it's developing several new film cameras, beginning with a "compact camera." Manual film winding is an essential part of Pentax's high-touch approach here. Old paper blueprints are have been analyzed to glean the wisdom of a past generation's mechanical engineers, who worked out how to provide a smooth, satisfying pull under your thumb. This mechanism alone will contain many more moving parts than an entire digital camera!

Yes, Pentax is still alive and well, though they have little media presence in the USA, even from camera bloggers. Their camera division reports increasing profits. (News flash: they're even bigger than Canon, in copiers, that is. Ricoh, which owns Pentax, just bought Toshiba's copier business, making it number one ahead of Canon.) Pentax's current digital cameras are my favorites. Traditionally designed DSLRs stuffed with unique features, usable with hundreds of fine and quirky lenses going all the way back to the screw-mount Takumars sold with those old film cameras.

Personally, I don't want a new film camera. Film is expensive, fragile and dusty and the images are inflexible and unforgiving. But I hope the film Pentaxes sell well, for the brand's sake.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 06-02-2023, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdbrain View Post
...PENTAX...
A friend of mine used LXes (not sure if he still has them, it's been a few decades since we last spoke) with a bunch of lenses. They were sleeper cameras.
Old 06-02-2023, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Tejas View Post
Film photo, Leica M2, developed in my bathroom. [/url]
Recent photo? My "darkroom setup in the bathroom" days are long past...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic