The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-31-2023, 07:19 PM

Default A good crossover nylon string on a budget

Any help would be appreciated. Or would you suggest a normal classical guitar for someone that’s always played steel. I hear some people talk about some nylon strings being more like folk guitars than classic.

Last edited by try2makeit; 01-31-2023 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-31-2023, 08:26 PM

I have Cordoba c10 crossover that I bought used for $700. All solid wood, and it came with a pickup. Great guitar with the 1 and 7/8” nut, which makes it usable for classical stuff or more steel string oriented stuff. If that’s too pricey, look at the Fusion series by the same company.
Old 01-31-2023, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi2 View Post
I have Cordoba c10 crossover that I bought used for $700. All solid wood, and it came with a pickup. Great guitar with the 1 and 7/8” nut, which makes it usable for classical stuff or more steel string oriented stuff. If that’s too pricey, look at the Fusion series by the same company.
A friend of mine, who is trained as a classical player, bought one of these. She wanted to get into some folk songs but wanted a familiar feel.

The guitar also features a dual action truss rod, which is rare for a nylon sting guitar, and a 16 inch radius fingerboard. I really enjoy playing it and hearing it.
Old 01-31-2023, 10:33 PM

Cordoba has an almost bewildering number of models to offer. Their Fusion series is aimed at the person who wants the sound of a nylon strung guitar, but comes from a background of playing steel strung instruments. Cordoba is unique in that all of their guitars have a truss rod.

I own a Cordoba Orchestra Fusion which has a 1-7/8" nut width and 16" radius fret board. It is considered their main "crossover" offering. My Cordoba Fusion is like THIS ONE but does not have a cutaway or built in electronics.

I have a bit of additional information on "crossover guitar" that is available from my old website HERE.

I'm currently mostly playing an old Karl Hauser rescued from a dumpster and converted to a crossover. I'm using it in a topic in the Show and Tell section to demonstrate an alternate tuning I'm currently using a bunch:

"Adventures in CGDGBE tuning!"

One last comment. If you play electric guitar you should look at Cordoba's new Stage model.

Last edited by Rudy4; 01-31-2023 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-01-2023, 09:06 AM

Couple years back, I was looking for something similar.
Ended up buying a breedlove solo crossover.
I like it
Old 02-01-2023, 11:14 AM

The Cervantes Crossover I is an excellent guitar to try.
Old 02-01-2023, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

On a budget I would recommend a Cordoba Fusion of some sort. I got a used Maple which I like (but I will be buying a full classical soon).
Best to try before you buy if this is possible.
Old 02-02-2023, 03:57 PM

Take a look at the Godin range.
Old 02-03-2023, 01:39 PM

The Alvarez AC65HCE doesn't get much press coverage, but is a great sounding crossover at a good price point. As with all Alvarez guitars, the QC is excellent.
Old 02-03-2023, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
The Alvarez AC65HCE doesn't get much press coverage, but is a great sounding crossover at a good price point. As with all Alvarez guitars, the QC is excellent.
+1 if you want a cedar top. If it's spruce you want the Yamaha NTX1 may work for you..... Good Luck!

Guitars:
A few, but on the hunt for the "one"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion